Nugget Shooter Forums

lesson in trash (and gold!)

microsniper

Was out yesterday to a spot I found some various gold bits and decided to pull back some overburden to get down to some fresh bedrock (thanks for the inspiration Adam) and found a couple of dinks to start the day with.  I got tired of all the hard work and decided to head upstream to seek out some exposed bedrock.    I walked past a few spots Id detected last year (found nothing before) and spent the next couple hrs being impatient and of course not finding anything but rusty bits.    I was getting tired and decided to head back to the truck and maybe go check out another local.   Well, on my way back I walked over a small patch of bedrock that id detected before with no luck and just stopped.  I looked at a small crack and for some reason (intuition??) said what the heck and and decided to go over it again.    Instantly I got a super loud couple of targets in one coil pass.   I figured id just go ahead and get that pesky junk out of the way and keep going.   Probably three targets there,  all inverted signals.  Junk for sure.......   yeah well I was shocked when under and inch of sand stuck in the crack, out pops this beauty!:yesss:     about 10" away was the  2x2" chunk of rusty iron that was the source of the big trashy signal.   Yep, I think that kept me and whoever else went over that same bedrock from digging the signals next to it!  lesson learned.... dig it all!

IMG_1523.JPGIMG_1531.jpg

• Like 17

Oh yeah !!  Nice !!  :thumbsupanim

I'm still waiting for the day when I dig an inverted signal with the SDC and it turns out to be one of those.

Thanks for sharing.  It's a good lesson for all.

Luke

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Micro Nugget said:

Great moral to this story and a GREAT find! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Man,  so many people here have posted finding nuggets under a can, in the same hole as five square nails, nuggets covered by rusty bits of sheet metal, or any number of things, including pre supposing a big trashy signal is just trash...(heard that one too many times!)   Thanks to those who shared those experiences that I'm reminded/inspired to keep digging past my impatience, false certainty, and delusion that everyone got there before I did..  :snapoutofit:

• Like 2

Sweet find! WOW!!! :yesss: Glad you got a clunker.

Ive found a couple of inverted gold. One was a solid 1 gram...........and the other was sandwiched in hematite almost a half Oz.  So, like you say, dig it all.:)

Tom H.

• Like 3

Now there's a KEEPER,....As the old time prospectors used to say:  "Faller-Dee-Iron" (and/or):  "Gold-rides-an-Iron-Horse!!"    Myself, I dig all targets, and especially get excited when I find white-colored lead slugs, as I know the lead is very old; no one has been there before me to get rid of that lead; and lead has the same propensity as a gold nugget (considering it's density in weight) --that is to sink to the lowest point in bedrock.  Sooooo,  if there is gold there?????, it will be down deep with the lead (and heavy-iron trash).  Gary

• Like 2

Great story, pretty nugget and super valuable lesson! ... For some of us ... or me at least ... I get to the point at times that I 'think' I know more than the detector ... I 'pass' on a signal and it stays in my mind as I continue on my course. Eventually I have to go back and sometimes that trashy signal ends up being gold ... and reminds me that I am supposed to DIG ALL TARGETS!!! Thanks for the verbal and visual reminder as well!

• Like 4

Dig all targets, always.  I have followed that adage for years and it has served me well!

However, what about with the new Gold Monster 1000?  Are we to still dig every target or do we put our faith in its discriminator??? Curious minds would like to know!  What  is you all's take? 

Thanks