Nugget Shooter Forums

Where to move overburden

GeoJack

I have a claim with a seasonal creek, almost all slate bedrock. What is the recommend way to move the overburden off the bedrock and relocate it? All work will be done by hand and most overburden isn't more than 2 foot deep. Creek is about 8 to 10 feet wide.

First time serious placer miner, been swinging a detector for a few years.

Suggestions

I find sitting on my butt and digging like im rowing a boat helps save the back.  Like Adam said, back fill the spot you cleaned out so your not moving it so far.
Tom

• Like 4

Like Adam said, that is a lot of work, especially if it turns out to be hardpack.  36 to 40 full five gallon buckets is about a ton of dirt.  I think of laying buckets out six by six and thinking of that as a ton of dirt to move.  I then picture those six bucket by six bucket sections and how many there are, and try to give me a picture of where to move it.  That has always discouraged me from moving a lot of overburden.

I've moved a few dozen buckets of overburden for to dry wash, and I stack it against the creek walls where I won't want to dig with rocks to hold it up from going back in.

18 hours ago, TomH said:

I find sitting on my butt and digging like im rowing a boat helps save the back.  Like Adam said, back fill the spot you cleaned out so your not moving it so far.
Tom

And be sure you're wearing a cool hat.  Tom always has cool hats. 

• Haha 5

Overburden is loose rocks, easy digging really and the two foot depth is only in some of the dips between slate ridges in the stream bed. Just trying to work out direction, work upstream filling area behind that has been worked, while tossing the larger rocks on to the bank?

Just my opinion of my local geology on my claim.  

In the desert where I'm at, IMO loose overburden is a sign of a couple of things.  Either someone has been in there recently, or the stream runs so fast as to frequently scrub the gravels to the loose level.  I think the hardpack forms as water sinks into areas that don't get scrubbed and the clay goes with it making it hard.  One area I work has the soft gravels that produce a little color, enough to keep us coming back, but not nearly enough to get us anything worth anything.  I think that softpack is just dirt from the side washes that washes off into the creek, but never has enough time to get concentrated.  I think the epic storms get loose gravels which concentrate and as time goes on the silt sinks into making it hard digging.  The areas that have softpack have not been concentrated through eons of time.  From my removing that overburden, vacuuming, chipping the bedrock, and then vacuuming again, have not produced any more than just running the softback material.  I think that's cause not enough time has gone since the last guy cleaned it up.

Your geology is different.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2017 at 7:03 PM, GeoJack said:

I have a claim with a seasonal creek...

Sometimes a visual can be helpful -- that ol' "A pix is worth 1K words" thing..
Check out some of adam's & boulderdash's vids on YouTube..
Search " i brake for bedrock " there to get to 'em..

Swamp

GEO Jack--Kind of curious how you'll be working it.  I sifted a ton of dirt from the hard pack on my first claim to classify it to -8 mesh.  I ended up with 10 buckets.  I estimate that I tosses another ton of rocks that day.  That was a backbreaking day getting those 10 buckets from sun up to sun down.  Brought them home and ran them through the gold cube.  Quite upset with the results.  So upset I reran it through a recirculating sluice.  Ended up just as upset the second time.

Ended up letting that claim go.

• Haha 1

As you can see the majority of the bedrock is vertical or dipping slate. Very familiar with bucket loads of rock having been working a hard rock quartz reef, but I'm thinking of making a short ramp up the side of the creek and classify the larger rocks out by hand and cart them up the bank. Trommel to .5" and run the material off the screen on my Gold Cube. Also thinking of taking that waist downstream via a 4" x 50' length of drain tube so as to move it away from the workings below the work area.

Claim 1.jpg

Claim 2.jpg

Claim 3.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
change images

That too.. I was actually referencing the rock in the stream bed.. That's a whole lot of chuckin'..!
But it could have been much worse, so I'm in there with adam's 'doable'..

How did the values look in your sample pans, GJ..?

Swamp

To me you have a solid plan.  The streams here don't have quite the large rounded cobbles, mostly jagged cobbles with plenty of dirt.

If I found that rock, I'd probably break off a golf ball sized chunk and hand crush it, and pan out the results, see if there's anything more.  I'd be tempted to keep it, but the temptation to see how much gold is in there would be a bit much for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

Crack scratch fever.  Pretty sure the shiny stuff is flood gold from last winter. This was three feet up the bank from bedrock in one of the slate catches.

17620091_1054685921330373_5321673886450708875_o.jpg

Nice gold !!

You'll know if your theory is correct if you can find some more gold in the crack next year.

Congrats !!

Luke

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

Got myself all excited, ATX is charged up so I think I'll go swing for a few.

Low and Slow.

If it's your claim....  You might want to get in there with the weed wacker first.

:thumbsupanim

Good Luck !!

Luke

• Like 1

Luke, I let mother nature do that for me, we only detect the flats in the winter, wet soil, short green grass. Have some ridge tops with quartz outcrops on the claim as well that we detect in the summer months when the creek goes dry.

• Like 2

So this is a large drop zone in the creek and I raked away the larger stones to get an idea of depth to bedrock. Over the weekend I took a pan and with my scoop took some samples. First pan had three pieces of lead in it. Should be the right place to sample.

23659617_1207466466052317_7943115302094618382_n.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 2

On 11/21/2017 at 12:37 PM, GeoJack said:

So this is a large drop zone in the creek and I raked away the larger stones to get an idea of depth to bedrock. Over the weekend I took a pan and with my scoop took some samples. First pan had three pieces of lead in it. Should be the right place to sample.

23659617_1207466466052317_7943115302094618382_n.jpg

So you haven't gotten to bedrock there yet? -- those look-see's are from that raked depth..?

Any idea how far it is to bedrock there, as in inches or feet your best guess..?
Regardless, definitely interested in seeing what you find..
You have a gas vac, right..?

Swamp