Nugget Shooter Forums

My first Successful Brisket thanks to Bill!

I asked for Bill's help as I have never cooked a successful brisket in my life.  Oh I have wrecked plenty, but never had one that was edible.

Bill gave me some tutoring.  I followed his advice, and finally had brisket that my family raved over.  Thank you Bill!  I used the rub you suggested and followed your instructions to the letter.  Below is the results of the tip and flat.  It was moist, with beautiful bark.

You da' master Bill!  I am your humble student.

Thanks again!

Doc

2017-10-29 18.04.54.jpg

2017-10-29 17.37.50.jpg

• Like 9
2 hours ago, homefire said:

Sorta hard to find a good one in these parts.  Dang things are more Fat then Meat.

It's definitely getting close to impossible to find properly proportioned fat-to-meat ratio cuts in the vacuum-packs these days regardless of packing company, that's for sure..! Be as picky as viewing allows for and stick to the flat cuts if you need to go that route..

Your best bet is by finding a local butcher.. That way you "should" be able to get a properly trimmed slab, along with add'l fat @ n/c for smoker cooking..

Swamp

2 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

It's definitely getting close to impossible to find properly proportioned fat-to-meat ratio cuts in the vacuum-packs these days regardless of packing company, that's for sure..! Be as picky as viewing allows for and stick to the flat cuts if you need to go that route..

Your best bet is by finding a local butcher.. That way you "should" be able to get a properly trimmed slab, along with add'l fat @ n/c for smoker cooking..

Swamp

We no longer have a butchers here.   Last one Passed away 5 years ago. 

Edited by homefire
  • Sad 1

Wish we had a Butcher BOB.     Dang, Well it seems Food Shopping is in Order. Today I had a Bacon Free BLT sandwich for lunch.

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

LOL, It was better then a Wish Sandwich.  Wish I had something to put on the bread !  Been there more then a few times, eaa?    Wicked Wanda the Wonder Wife corrected the situation.   Tomorrows sandwich will be a Double Bacon ( Lettuce Free ) BLT. 

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Butcher Bob on Bell Road, good meat.

Edited by TomH
On 11/7/2017 at 6:04 AM, matt said:

That looks delicious! How about posting the recipe and secret details of the cook? I too have never been able to get a brisket right.

Not my recipe to give out.  I will tell you one thing however.  One of the biggest mistakes I was making is trying to smoke with Hickory.  Everything is so overpowering it's just not enjoyable.

Bill told me that Hickory is too strong.  He told me to use primarily Apple and  a little Pecan.   Made all the difference in the world in the taste.

By the way I got the whole brisket at Sam's Club.  18 lb brisket for $2.38 a pound.  Crazy cheap price.

Doc

• Like 1