Nugget Shooter Forums

LSD Short Trip

Mike Furness

Had a couple hours to hunt after locating and posting a couple new claims over in the Vulture Mount area for the RRPC. So I went over to LSD, unloaded the RZR and headed a bit north up the Little San Domingo Wash. Once I got where I wanted to go I only had about an hour left to hunt before I had to be on the road back to Prescott Valley ... and I needed to make a quick stop into Bill's shop too. So I'm hunting with my Gold Monster 1000 and the 5" coil(I call it my hockey puck coil). About 20-25 minutes into the hunt I got a very distinct mixed signal ... scale kept bouncing a couple bars to ferrous and a couple bars to the gold side. You can't not dig that mixture! Couple minutes and the target was in the scoop and soon after halving the material 5 or 6 times I was down to about a 1/2 teaspoon of material. There staring up at me was a little glint of gold! YES!!! It is tiny and was down maybe 3" or slightly more ... Here it is all 1.42 grains of it! That is a $1 gold coin I found near Rich Hill a few years back. Nugget seems to be a little blurry ... guess I am going to have to rig some kind of stand to mount the phone in with these close up macro shots.1.42 grain Nugget 11-03-2017.jpg

• Like 7

Good going Mike :) Especially for such a short hunt.

Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, jjbond said:

You might want to be careful with your thread titles there big fella, the DEA's gonna get notified by NSA that you're trippin on acid and shut Bill down..haha

Jen ... Title written that way on purpose:evil1: ... I have to laugh a little every time I use those letters:thumbsupanim ... I'm old enough to have used it back in the day:old: ... but didn't! LOL!

• Like 1

Just now, Mike Furness said:

Jen ... Title written that way on purpose:evil1: ... I have to laugh a little every time I use those letters:thumbsupanim ... I'm old enough to have used it back in the day:old: ... but didn't! LOL!

Me either.... :25r30wi::duc::ya::hide:

I think the only reason the DEA may be watching is they want to know how you Do a short trip on LSD?

or is that like not inhaling. "Clinton". :D
Nice find Mike, I hope you pounded that area to death.:thumbsupanim
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Haha 3

Nice going, Mike.  Don't you have a GPZ?  Curious at what point you decide to jump from your GPZ over to your GM1000 (and the 5" coil at that)?   I know each has their place.  I'd just like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

Mike that dollar probably came from someones belt buckle ( now I have to see if I still have mine ) The Peppermill in Reno had a machine that the gold plated ones got mixed in with regular dollars and if you wanted you could cash it in for $5     I suggested to a friend that they would make great gifts in a belt buckle. It worked I got one for a xmas present :)

• Like 1

RRPC ?  Rapid Returns Please Contribute ?    Hey guys and Gorls I need a place to drywash around Salome, I'm in a RV park here and prefer not to have to haul quad unless needed. My quad wont be here until Sunday I think ? and after looking things over I guess my drywasher wont be here till Sunday either. Oh ok now I remember I went to Oregon so highbanker went with me and drywasher stayed in quad trailer!!:grr01:

1 hour ago, devilishjim said:

RRPC ?  Rapid Returns Please Contribute ?    Hey guys and Gorls I need a place to drywash around Salome, I'm in a RV park here and prefer not to have to haul quad unless needed. My quad wont be here until Sunday I think ? and after looking things over I guess my drywasher wont be here till Sunday either. Oh ok now I remember I went to Oregon so highbanker went with me and drywasher stayed in quad trailer!!:grr01:

Jim: Lots of gold/silver/copper mines in this area...also the mountain range to the west.

Tom H.

jim.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Mike -- I h8 having to suggest this, but I think you need to use a common coin for size comparison photos..

I personally love $1 gold pieces as they are beautiful coins, but I don't think most people realize just exactly how tiny they really are.. Under the macro lense that photo makes the coin look more the size of an eagle than the 1/10th eagle it actually is..

Just saying, is all..  The photo doesn't convey how truly small the gold bit is once magnified
then viewed next to an uncommon baby $..

Swamp

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Mike -- I h8 having to suggest this, but I think you need to use a common coin for size comparison photos..

I personally love $1 gold pieces as they are beautiful coins, but I don't think most people realize just exactly how tiny they really are.. Under the macro lense that photo makes the coin look more the size of an eagle than the 1/10th eagle it actually is..

Just saying, is all..  The photo doesn't convey how truly small the gold bit is once magnified

Swamp

BUSTED!!!!!!! :Just_Cuz_15:

I think I'm going to start sharing photo's of my nuggets using these coins... :inocent:

5266dabb0bbb1.jpg

Edited by Guest

15 hours ago, Andyy said:

Nice going, Mike.  Don't you have a GPZ?  Curious at what point you decide to jump from your GPZ over to your GM1000 (and the 5" coil at that)?   I know each has their place.  I'd just like to hear your thoughts.  Thanks!

Hi Andyy ... shallow ground say less than 6" and bedrock is prime country for the Monster and the 5" coil. Any depth over that I would possibly try the 10" coil on the Monster especially if the ground is littered with obstacles ... larger boulders, cactus, manzanita or other dense brush. The GPZ will handle all these areas and others but is best in more open ground with fewer obstacles or ground too deep for the Monster. I really enjoy the Monster with the 5" coil as it forces me to go really slow and thoroughly ... and it is deadly on the hot rocks, AWWW what hot rocks? One beep usually and gone ... ! In short when I use the Monster I know I have done my best to 'get it all' ... Hope that helps. The Monster ROCKS!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, devilishjim said:

Mike that dollar probably came from someones belt buckle ( now I have to see if I still have mine ) The Peppermill in Reno had a machine that the gold plated ones got mixed in with regular dollars and if you wanted you could cash it in for $5     I suggested to a friend that they would make great gifts in a belt buckle. It worked I got one for a xmas present :)

Jim ... I had it certified as a true gold dollar ... it is a sold piece of gold not a slug plated with gold. It is the real McCoy!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, devilishjim said:

RRPC ?  Rapid Returns Please Contribute ? 

Jim ... Not sure if you are kidding or not but RRPC stands for Roadrunners Prospectors Club. Lots of great claims in central AZ ... Bradshaw's, Rich Hill and LSD areas. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Jim ... Not sure if you are kidding or not but RRPC stands for Roadrunners Prospectors Club. Lots of great claims in central AZ ... Bradshaw's, Rich Hill and LSD areas. 

So how long before the new vulture ones will be in the booky wooky so I can head down there and rape and pillage, coooooome on, let the secret long and lat out of the bag... I'll buy you a donut. :5bat: <- that's my donut buying face.

4 hours ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Swamp

19 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Had a couple hours to hunt after locating and posting a couple new claims over in the Vulture Mount area for the RRPC. So I went over to LSD, unloaded the RZR and headed a bit north up the Little San Domingo Wash. Once I got where I wanted to go I only had about an hour left to hunt before I had to be on the road back to Prescott Valley ... and I needed to make a quick stop into Bill's shop too. So I'm hunting with my Gold Monster 1000 and the 5" coil(I call it my hockey puck coil). About 20-25 minutes into the hunt I got a very distinct mixed signal ... scale kept bouncing a couple bars to ferrous and a couple bars to the gold side. You can't not dig that mixture! Couple minutes and the target was in the scoop and soon after halving the material 5 or 6 times I was down to about a 1/2 teaspoon of material. There staring up at me was a little glint of gold! YES!!! It is tiny and was down maybe 3" or slightly more ... Here it is all 1.42 grains of it! That is a $1 gold coin I found near Rich Hill a few years back. Nugget seems to be a little blurry ... guess I am going to have to rig some kind of stand to mount the phone in with these close up macro shots.1.42 grain Nugget 11-03-2017.jpg

Al has a good point, most people don't know how big a gold dollar is, so for those here's the size.....12.71 mm or exactly 1/2", in conparision a dime is 17.9 mm, or just a hair over 11/16".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jjbond said:

So how long before the new vulture ones will be in the booky wooky so I can head down there and rape and pillage, coooooome on, let the secret long and lat out of the bag... I'll buy you a donut. :5bat: <- that's my donut buying face.

OOHHH, I have to go with Jen on this.   Here... let me work on MY donut face ... :00000067:    Ok ... not as good as Jen's but I am working on it.

• Haha 1

RRPC members ...I think(the claim has been staked) it should be on the list on the web page. Not sure when  the office will be sending a new map page out. I'm just a little guy in the scheme of things who was asked to help being a member of the club maintenance group.

4 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

RRPC members ...I think(the claim has been staked) it should be on the list on the web page. Not sure when  the office will be sending a new map page out. I'm just a little guy in the scheme of things who was asked to help being a member of the club maintenance group.

They don't have a list on their site (that I can find), just KMZ/GPX files but they don't show claim names.

Screenshot_20171109-144104.jpg

Edited by Guest

The numbers on the KMZ claims coordinates correspond to the page on the paper maps ... the letters correspond to the name of the claim on the numbered paper map page. For example Map page 16 claim Lucky 9 is 16C ... I think the 2 new claims will be 16D and 16E. ...  D=Lucky 10; E=Lucky 11. I just looked ... they are not on the website mapping yet. I have no control over when that happens. I'm just a grunt with boots on the ground pounding corner posts into the ground. It will probably come out in the next news letter. Hope this helps.

RRPC has been letting a lot of claims go.  Glad they are doing some replacements.  Hopefully there are some nuggets there :ROFL:

3 hours ago, Andyy said:

RRPC has been letting a lot of claims go.  Glad they are doing some replacements.  Hopefully there are some nuggets there :ROFL:

I'll tell ya on Monday if I leave any behind..... :inocent:

Kidding....... I'll probably be on the west side this weekend.

Jen

4 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

The numbers on the KMZ claims coordinates correspond to the page on the paper maps ... the letters correspond to the name of the claim on the numbered paper map page. For example Map page 16 claim Lucky 9 is 16C ... I think the 2 new claims will be 16D and 16E. ...  D=Lucky 10; E=Lucky 11. I just looked ... they are not on the website mapping yet. I have no control over when that happens. I'm just a grunt with boots on the ground pounding corner posts into the ground. It will probably come out in the next news letter. Hope this helps.

Thank you sir..

By the way, thank you for all the work you do for the club.... when I was out last time I was saying to myself, darn.... who in their right mind would walk way the hell out here to plant that post, now I know. ^_^

I got off cheap with my membership dues..

I looked on page 16, I see exactly where you are talking about now, thank you..

How was the road off of Vulture Mine to that area, doable in a 4wd or do you need a quad? I just bought a new ATV but probably won't pick it up till Monday.

Jen

hi Jen ... Most of us park our road vehicle a couple hundred yards off the main road(Vulture Mine Road) on the left hand side ... that is AZ Trust Land ... You DO need to post your permit on your dashboard or face a fine. I made 3 copies of mine. Original is at the house... copy in each the RZR, Camper and the truck. I call it CMA (Cover my anatomy!) insurance so that I am never without. Back to your question. Take your ATV from there. You CAN take your 4x4 to the edge of the claims but the ATV will be needed after that. 

• Like 1