Nugget Shooter Forums

Nice black stone!! Hopeful!

This might be my lucky day. Maybe a fresh one. I found this stone today. It is black as can be so it caught my eye instantly. It passes a magnet test, and passes the streak test. I thought for sure it was going to streak black thank god it didn't. Anyways I think I can see subtle flow lines, even radial in the first image  and even a bit of a nose that didn't develope, only thing that hurts it is the fact it is angular so maybe it fragged early in entry because it's black on all sides. I wanted to show you guys before I mess with it.

IMAG1124.jpg

IMAG1132~2.jpg

IMAG1130~2.jpg

IMAG1129~2.jpg

IMAG1137~2.jpg

Also, where was this found? You don't have to be exact. If it is indeed fresh fusion crust that will mean it's from a recent fireball. If there aren't any reports in your area then it is probably just a terrestrial rock. It also looks a little too angled to be a meteorite. But other people on this forum will give you a better analysis!

I've found shattered meteorites that resemble that but I kinda don't think that is one...However I could be wrong...Cheers, Unc

34 minutes ago, gaustad18 said:

Also, where was this found? 

Mass!!! Here is the window!! It looks like a breccia!!

31 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

I've found shattered meteorites

Interesting!!

IMAG1142.jpg

Edited by Rocky

Everything looks wrong about this one. Rock looks structured with granulation and veins, possible vestibules (holes) and outside composite inclusions; all of which are uncharacteristic of a meteorite. File off a corner to see what is inside.

billpeters

That polished slice looks much more like it, but still not certain. It will still need to be confirmed that it is not terrestrial and is indeed a meteorite.

billpeters

13 minutes ago, billpeters said:

That polished slice looks much more like it, but still not certain. It will still need to be confirmed that it is not terrestrial and is indeed a meteorite.

billpeters

Thanks Bill, the last photo is of the side of the stone I filed and polished. I appreciate your thoughts.

Exterior doesn't appear to have any signs of being a meteorite, wrong texture, no fusion crust apparent.  No fusion crust is evident around perimeter of sanded window.  My money is on "not a meteorite".

The "magnet test" and "streak test" are not pass/fail, they are merely ways of gathering data on what you rock may be.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2017 at 5:30 PM, billpeters said:

Everything looks wrong about this one. Rock looks structured with granulation and veins, possible vestibules (holes) and outside composite inclusions; all of which are uncharacteristic of a meteorite. File off a corner to see what is inside.

billpeters

Bill thank you for your response. For lack of my own knowledge can you please explain structured with granulation and outside composite inclusions. I feel like outside composite inclusions means something foreign stuck to the outside, but the granulation part I can't find a example to learn from.

Sincerely, 

Steve

Rocky,

The rock shows no signs of crust whatsoever. The structured, outside surface looks like a standard terrestrial broken stone. Chondrules rarely appear easily on uncut surfaces of a meteorite. Veins often indicate sedimentary or metamorphic structures. (Your rock, after seeing the interior, appears less so.) The possible holes on the outside, if real and not an artifact of the camera, would be near certainty of a terrestrial rock. The conglomerate interior looks somewhat like meteoritic chondrules, but the apparent appearance of quartz eliminates the likelihood that it is a meteorite. 

Altogether, it is very unlikely to be a meteorite.

billpeters

4 hours ago, billpeters said:

Rocky,

The rock shows no signs of crust whatsoever. The structured, outside surface looks like a standard terrestrial broken stone. Chondrules rarely appear easily on uncut surfaces of a meteorite. Veins often indicate sedimentary or metamorphic structures. (Your rock, after seeing the interior, appears less so.) The possible holes on the outside, if real and not an artifact of the camera, would be near certainty of a terrestrial rock. The conglomerate interior looks somewhat like meteoritic chondrules, but the apparent appearance of quartz eliminates the likelihood that it is a meteorite. 

Altogether, it is very unlikely to be a meteorite.

billpeters

Thank you Bill,

I really appreciate your explanation so much thank you for taking the time to explain that to me. It does not have any holes in the exterior surface just smooth with inclusions sporadically. Can I ask one more question please? What type of white inclusions would appear in legitimate meteorites? I'm aware quartz isn't in meteorites so when you find images of meteorites on the web with white inclusions what is that if I may ask???