Nugget Shooter Forums

Found a nice specie.

bsumbdy

Found this last week in GB. It wasn't a very strong signal, maybe 4 inches deep. I thought it was a meteorite. Took a closer look and saw quartz. Poured some water to clean and I started seeing some shimmer of gold! I've found nuggets with quartz, but never quartz with Gold lol. Soaked in CLR, now I'm soaki n't in Whink rust remover. Will it eat away some of the quartz? How long should I soak it?

I did the specific gravity test and I came up with 6g of gold.

Thanks Chris20171029_170626.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bsumbdy said:

Found this last week in GB. It wasn't a very strong signal, maybe 4 inches deep. I thought it was a meteorite. Took a closer look and saw quartz. Poured some water to clean and I started seeing some shimmer of gold! I've found nuggets with quartz, but never quartz with Gold lol. Soaked in CLR, now I'm soaki n't in Whink rust remover. Will it eat away some of the quartz? How long should I soak it?

Awesome specimen!!!:thumbsupanim

Yes the Whink will eat away the quartz, but a bit slowly because it's only 1% to 3% hydrofluoric acid BUT it's still dangerous to use if you don't following proper safety procedures, the damage from exposure to hydrofluoric aicd is not immeditately noticed and could do serious harm in the long run!!

How long will it take hard to say, just soak it for a while and check it from time to time until you get it the way you like it, it could be many hours or even days to get it to your liking.

Be sure to wear rubber gloves, full face protection, DO NOT breathe any fumes and DO NOT get any on your skin.

Here are some safety info and facts on hyrofluoric acid.

https://chemistry.harvard.edu/files/chemistry/files/safe_use_of_hf_0.pdf

http://www.whink.com/cmssites/ws0811www.whink.com/uploads/Documents/SDS-Rust Stain Remover_Oct 2016.pdf

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jjbond said:

:ROFL: Wow... well done.... I was wondering where I dropped that over the summer...

What a really nice find. Congrats. On a large specimen like that, I wouldn't necessarily trust the results of a specific gravity test to determine the amount of gold in it.

1 hour ago, bsumbdy said:

What a really nice find. Congrats. What were you using?

On a large specimen like that, I wouldn't necessarily trust the results of a specific gravity test to determine the amount of gold in it.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, azdigger said:

Very nice find , I got to be doing something wrong there in GB...I will figure it out.

Great find .

The only thing you've been doing wrong in GB was not putting your coil over the gold, and that's just a logistical matter. As we've all said, there's a nugget out there with your name on it and I have a feeling it's going to find you at the outing in November with Bill's group.

Jen

Edited by Guest

Wow !!!! Thats a great piece ...my experience with Wink is it will cleanup the specimen nice of iron and dirt. As far as eating away at the quartz....it could take days, weeks and months. Rinse with water than tooth brush..at times a mechanical removal is necessary then back to more time in acid. The process can take some time.. But depending on piece, well worth the effort. Like they say above, use gloves and be careful. 

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Thanks 1

We had a big mine up off the CA Salmon River that produced really ugly species ... I did most of the lab work and used high concentration hydrofluric ... Nasty stuff and I minded my P's & Q's re safety with it ... Never had a problem because of being super careful and it sure created some beautiful crystal nuggets...also destroyed some nice species too!  If you're going to use that acid DO NOT go with ANY shortcuts in safety...One splash and it'll go straight to the bone then go on and cripple or kill...Cheers, Unc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1