Nugget Shooter Forums
LukeJ

Arizona Gold Tour

I was able to get away from the regular household duties and get some swing time for three days this weekend.  :yesss:

I started out on Friday and headed out to a location in the central Arizona desert.  It was new to me, but there were placer claims all around, so I went to check out some open land near by.  About 45 minutes in, I heard the first 'good sounding' target and after removing two full "Bunk's pick magnets' worth of black sand, a nice little .12 grammer appeared.  I didn't even have to dig it.  Later I switched over to the SDC since I was seeing so much good looking bedrock, but that was a bad move.  I should have stuck with the GPX and the 11" commander.  Too much black sands.  I will go back for a more thorough investigation at another time.

On the way back out, I stopped by a spot I hadn't been in almost a year.  I was new to the SDC then, so I wanted to give it another go.  I went straight back to this little gully where I had found a couple last year and about 20 feet upstream, I got a signal.  It was the 'birdshot sound'.  I dig em all, since I've been fooled before.  After a boot scrape and a scoop scrape, the target sound changed to the more favorable mellow tone I was hoping for.  After some prying with the screwdriver, out popped a nice little specimen.  I always check the hole and the pile, especially when gold has been found.  Sure enough, the birdshot was in the dirt pile.  :brows:  Two nuggets in two different locations for .57g, the gold tour was off to a good start.  :thumbsupanim

Day two, I drove into another central Az location to view some of the devastation that happened earlier this summer.  I spent the better part of the day with the 15x12 commander and the GPX.  Found a lot of the regular trash.  Had a couple rather exciting deep targets that ended up being .22 bullets.  No gold for the GPX.  Not to be skunked, I stopped by one of those club claims and managed 8 bits in the last two hours before I had to get going.  I was in a hurry so I didn't get a pic with my 'famous dime'.  So here's a picture of them on my palm.  Day two tally:  .62g  :thumbsupanim

Day three, today, I met up with a friend I hadn't seen in awhile.  It was good to do some catching up and discuss what we'd learned since.  Our plan was to go and check out some areas that neither of us had seen and maybe do some detecting.  We ended up driving into some really beautiful forested areas, but the locations didn't seem to lend themselves to detecting for various reasons.  We opted for 'plan B' and drove over to an area we are both familiar with.  Long story short, I got a little one first, and then later lucked out on a hole that ended up giving 5 more.  :head:  I ended the day with 7, but unfortunately, I was the only one who found gold today.  No worries though, my friend has made some really nice finds in the past and everyone gets skunked from time to time.  It's always better when everyone in the party gets some gold, but today for whatever reason, it wasn't meant to be.  I had a great day overall with the seven weighing in at 2.15g.  :4chsmu1:

I ended the Arizona Gold Tour with a total of 17 detected nuggets for 3.34g.  :D

Luke

20171027_171325 (2).jpg

20171027_171357 (2).jpg

20171029_212635 (2).jpg

20171029_154008 (2).jpg

• Like 17

Great going Luke, you are a born detectorist.  :black_knight_standing:

Old Tom

• Thanks 1

Nice nuggies. Great job Luke. 

• Like 1

Good looking nuggies

• Like 1

Great Hunt, nice nuggets Luke.

• Like 1

Way to go Luke! Thanks mucho for sharing:thumbsupanim

Married with children...how the heck do you manage to get out so much?!!!!!

You got three days and I got three hours yesterday. I went to a totally new spot south of several claims back in a little ways and the exact spot I wanted to park I came across someone in a White XTerra with a screaming red front bumper, shoot...well park elsewhere. Searched a handful of gulches and happened across some old brush covered handstacks. Managed to only speck a couple pieces, placered 15' and nothing detected. Lots of overburden and big rocks filled back in at the largest handstacks. I opted to search more washes instead of placering further, now I wish I would of just stayed there and placered for a couple hours.:idunno:

• Like 2

Sounds like a good time was had by all involved. Nice gold-John

• Like 1

Your gonna wear your tires out! :)
Dang, your a gold magnet anymore.

WTG :yesss:

That second piece looks pretty cool. Ive got some acids if you want to clean it up.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Nice shootin', Luke..! :yesss:

Swamp

• Like 1

Cool nuggies, Luke!

Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

Nice haul Luke, you're getting to be a veteran nugget shooter!!

I like thar specimen, do you know what the host rock is, is the host rock red or is that just the photo?

• Like 1

Thanks for the motivating moments.  It always is good procedure to have (and sometimes follow) a "Plan B".

• Like 1

Thanks guys !!  :D

It was a nice time out and the weather couldn't be better.  :thumbsupanim

Thank you OldTom.  Yes, things have really started to 'click' lately.  The anticipation of the hunt and the thrill of finding what you're looking for never seems to get old.  One of my favorites is the moment I turn on the detector and put on the headphones.  It's like leaving 'this world' for a far better place... :head:

Yes Shay, I do get out quite often.  Usually it's just short trips here and there.  I'm trying to make the most of my circumstances at the moment, since I know it probably won't last.  This weekend however, my wife had a four day conference in Sedona and my In-laws took the kids on Thursday night.  I had three solid days where my only responsibility was to be back in Sedona in time for dinner.  Last year the conference was in Tucson, so Greaterville was where I ended up.  This time around,  I tried to take advantage and do more exploring and get farther out than my short hunts would normally allow.  The time went fast....  :arrowheadsmiley:

Tom and Skip, I've cleaned the specimen using my hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution method.  I'll try to get another good picture of it tomorrow when the sun is shining.  I don't think I'm going to 'clean' it any further though.

The host rock on the specimen is reddish/pink.  Not sure what it is.  Definitely not the predominate bedrock in the area it was found.  Maybe a red schist?  Didn't look like it moved far, if at all.  I did some scraping and really searched the immediate area thoroughly but wasn't able to come up with another signal.

One thing I do know for sure.....   I didn't get it all.

Good hunting everyone !!

Luke

Edited by LukeJ
more words
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, LukeJ said:

Yes Shay, I do get out quite often.  Usually it's just short trips here and there.  I'm trying to make the most of my circumstances at the moment, since I know it probably won't last.  This weekend however, my wife had a four day conference in Sedona and my In-laws took the kids on Thursday night.  I had three solid days where my only responsibility was to be back in Sedona in time for dinner.  

Good for you! I would have done the same. Where did you eat in Sedona? Let me know next time, I work for three restaurants in Uptown Sedona, so I can get the hook up! Definetely take care of Nuggetshooter friends.

Edited by Alwaysdirty
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alwaysdirty said:

...I work for three restaurants in Uptown Sedona...

Roving Gun-for-hire Master Ninja Chef..??! :200:
Where the heck is your reality show..?? :idunno:
Drama, we need drama..!  :2mo5pow: :Just_Cuz_15: :worship:

Swamp :4chsmu1:

Just now, Swampstomper Al said:

Roving Gun-for-hire Master Ninja Chef..??! :200:
Where the heck is your reality show..?? :idunno:
Drama, we need drama..!  :2mo5pow: :Just_Cuz_15: :worship:

Swamp :4chsmu1:

Lol!!!!

This place could seriously be a reality show. I am the Chief of Engineering for a company that owns two large shopping centers and three restaurants in Uptown Sedona (high priced tourist trap). The owner himself is awesome and hilarious, always changing things, adding stuff and doing out of the ordinary funny things we all just kind of roll our eyes at and go along with, what are you gonna say? he is the owner.

Then you have the restaurants, holy chit...these people break the heck out of stuff constantly. Then theres all the drama with the 70+ employees here, you can just imagine some of the stuff I have heard, seen and caught people doing!:arrowheadsmiley:

Also not to mention all the hack repairs we come across from the past, I cant believe this place didnt burn down or kill somebody before I got here.:th:

Another wonderful thing I get to do is deal with our retail space tenants, I could write a page just about them and their neediness.:th_panic::snapoutofit:

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Good for you! I would have done the same. Where did you eat in Sedona? Let me know next time, I work for three restaurants in Uptown Sedona, so I can get the hook up! Definetely take care of Nuggetshooter friends.

We stayed on the south side.  Not sure if it's Sedona proper or not.  We were across the street from the Hilton.  Thursday night I got in late, so I had a burger and fries on my way up.  My wife ate at a Thai place.  Don't know the name.  The second night, we ate at JWine Bistro.  It was good and I'd recommend it.  I had a pork chop that was the size of your fist and was cooked perfectly.  I could have cut it with a butter knife.  It went down fast.  The third night, we drove down to Dewey and ate at Leff-T's Steakhouse.  It was a double-date with Dean and his wife.  Once again, the meal was awesome and highly recommended.  The company was great too....  :D

I'll let you know next time I'm planning to head up that way.  Maybe we can meet up out in the hills over yonder...:head:

Luke

• Like 2

This is the best I can do with my camera phone.  Fortunately, the sunlight is diffused with the current cloud cover so the detail shows better.  Take a look....  :pop:

20171031_103859 (2).jpg

20171031_103740 (2).jpg

• Like 6