Nugget Shooter Forums

Not a very big piece but an interesting one!

Ray in CA

Hey folks!

Got a chance to hit the old hydraulic pit one more time for about an hour before any snow comes and my Nokta Gold Finder managed to snag this little piece of rock matrix that after cleaning is showing a bit of gold on the outside. There must be more on the inside because the piece is unusually heavy, which is why I didn't discard it at first for thinking it was just a piece of lead. I'm wondering if I should break it open at the cracks to see if more gold will show on the inside or perhaps drop some nitric acid on it to dissolve the rock, or leave as is?

gold1.jpg

• Like 7

I doubt nitric would do much anyway. Nitric is not the acid which dissolves quartz - it does a fine job on iron stain, of which I see very little on your specimen. As far as the cracks, it may well be that the gold inside is what is holding the pieces together.

• Like 1

I would likely leave it the way it is, but if you decide to remome some of the quartz try using Whink Rust Stain Remover which contains 1% to 3% hydrofluoric acid and can be bought at WalMart and many other stores, it will work slowly at this concentration and will give you time to decide when enough is enough.

As when using any strength hydrofluoric acid be sure to not get any on your skin, eyes, and avoid breathing fumes, etc,. VERY DANGEROUS ACID, wear gloves and safety glasses and don't use a glass comtainer. 

Please read the linked Safety Data Sheet before using and follow all directions for using this product

http://www.whink.com/cmssites/ws0811www.whink.com/uploads/Documents/SDS-Rust Stain Remover_Oct 2016.pdf

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rust-Stain-Remover-6-Ounces/24381062?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227017444851&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=51755580551&wl4=pla-83170241591&wl5=9010730&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=24381062&wl13=&veh=sem

Rust Stain Remover, 6 Ounces Image 1 of 1

• Like 2

If I had too much time on my hands, I'd first do a water dip test to determine how much gold is in it, and if I think there was enough to hold it together after the quartz was gone, I'd dip it in hydrofluoric acid.  I don't have experience in acids, but I know I'd spend way much more in acid, bin to dissolve it, goggles, gloves, and safety gear then I'd ever sell that specimen for.  If the piece stayed together, my guess is it'd look even better.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies everyone! Au Seeker I think you have something there. I would like to keep the entire specimen intact but I would also like to see if I can get any more gold to show, so I think I will try your suggestion. And thanks for the safety info too!

• Like 2