Nugget Shooter Forums
chrisski

Thoughts on Claim

I know a guy that built his front bumper with 8" Well Pipe.  That was his Air Tank. 

• Like 2

On 11/27/2017 at 7:34 PM, Ahorton10 said:

I think you might be underestimating your f250, unless pinstriping is your concern most backroads around the yavapai schist can be done in any 2 wheel drive pickup.  Might have to hoof it up the washes but that's part of the fun.  I didn't have 4 wheel drive until recently and went all over that area.  Now I have a yukon xl,  it's 4x4 but I never use it.  Just don't go when it's raining.  Those roads are bumpy but generally not slick when dry.

You are so right here Adam, most people completely underestimate their vehicles. Too many times have I been on a trail and come up to people stopped at a hillclimb saying "I wouldnt go up that you'll break an axle" or "I think only a quad or side by side can make it through there" and then I drive right up in 2wd! Arctic Dave is also right in that the fun doesnt start until your in 4lo!

Just Wednesday I took my 2wd drive 4 cylinder Dodge Dakota with very little ground clearance back on a very rough forest service road that I bet most would only run a 4wd drive on. If theres no sand or mud a 2wd drive can still go some amazing places!

• Like 3

In a pick up added weight over the rear end does wonders some times.

• Like 3

I keep coming back to whether I get a ARB CKMA12 either onboard or portable version or a VIAR onboard compressor.

Part of the concern also is getting stuck out there.  This diesel is not an easy thing to fix.  Repairs in my garage will take a full day or two.  Trouble shooting out there is difficult, and making repairs is not beyond doable, just difficult.  This was not much of a concern when I had a partner and we both took out diesel trucks out there, but more so now that I'm alone.  I have gotten a 4 WD tow before, and getting it out of some of these places on a tow truck would be very hard. I've also had to walk three miles out to get tools.

Next step for me is going to a remote place, but trying to figure what I need to make it there, and I keep coming back to a quad.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, chrisski said:

I keep coming back to a quad.

Chrisski, that is not a bad idea especially when going it alone in remote area. Years ago I had an old trail 90 that i used to check out hard to get to places and it also gave me a second way of getting out of the boonies in case my truck broke down. The added insurance helps to ease the mind somewhat. I've done the long walks out of the desert before when I was much younger. If I broke down out there now I guess I would just homestead.  :4chsmu1:  Jim

• Haha 5

I haven't driven a quad in a long time.  We used to have them for work, a utility version, 250cc I think.  I think I would go with that size again.

I would like a razor or Polaris, but those seem too wide for some of the trails I want.  Some of these old trails that have lost half the side, they might not be that great at getting through.  Some of the bigger quads, I don't think I'd get in the back of my truck.  I like the idea of a dirt bike, but I'd want to carry more than it'd be capable of.

Big thing for the purchase of the quad is having enough time to use it.  Where I'm working now, I only can get out once every couple of months.  Now that I finished up one phase of work, I am supposed to have more free time now, but I don't, even less.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

Here is a way cheaper option than a power tank and this is what I use, I got so tired of waiting for my little ARB 12v compressor to air up my 33's from 15 psi to 35psi it took like 10 minutes a tire. The CO2 tank takes just minutes to do all four tires. This link is to a fixed 150psi CO2 tank regulator, by the fourth tire its starts to freeze up from all the CO2 flowing through but I haven't had a problem yet just make sure you wear gloves or you'll get instant frostbite. The usual adjustable CO2 regulators don't flow enough CO2 to air up a tire without freezing up quickly. Really, also you should use a hose rated for 3000psi in case the regulator fails and you get full tank pressure to the hose which can rupture. I was lucky and scored a 3000psi kegerator hose and aluminum 20lb CO2 tank from a restaurant that closed down here, I have also seen them on Craigslist for very cheap. Powertanks are hundreds of dollars and I am WAY to cheap for that!

Amazon CO2 regulator

Now I am considering doing this with nitrogen to eliminate the freezing up issue, nitro at the welding shop is cheap, its just trying to score a tank for cheap. Regulators can be had on Amazon for $60 and are adjustable and flow plenty of nitorgen. We use nitrogen at my work for refrigeration repairs, clearing condensate drains,winterizing mister systems and cleaning stuff off, I hook up a shop air nozzle gun to it and can empty an entire tank non stop with zero freeze up. I think that with the CO2 though I will get more tire fills from one tank than with the nitrogen, we'll see...

And one more thing, here is a link to a tire deflater I use, this thing is AWESOME! Makes air down go way way faster. More time to hunt for gold!

ARB tire deflater

I was thinking of doing the same Shay. Supposedly you can lease the co2 bottles from some soda distributors for cheap. 

I hadn't considered the nitrogen, but I remember a training class I attended several years ago about nitrogen in tires. Doesn't hold moisture and it also acts a a preservative for the inside of your tires. No oxygen, no decay of the rubber. Temperature changes don't affect pressure as much either. Biggest drawback at the time was cost. They were attempting to market a nitrogen compressor that harvested nitrogen from air. Pretty cool stuff. 

I did a little reading on the subject and came up with co2 being kinda the winner for me. 

Fill up cost of the tank seems to be similar between the two. From what I read, the co2 tank will fill more tires than a nitrogen tank. The nitrogen tank is much higher pressure, but co2 is bottled as a liquid and the pressure comes from the expansion that occurs when exiting the tank. The co2 being liquid has a greater stored energy density and equals more fill ups. Another thing to consider is safety. While nitrogen itself is fairly safe(the atmosphere of our planet is mostly nitrogen) the pressures present in a nitrogen bottle can approach 3500psi. In an accident, which would you prefer to rupture...2-300psi co2 bottle or a 3500psi nitrogen bottle?

Both would suck for sure:aw-shucks:

I'm thankful I don't have to go offroading in my daily driver any longer. So this isn't much of an issue for me anymore. It was a big deal with the Jeep because I had to drive it home from the trail. I have the tube frame buggy now and life is a bit simpler.  Set the tires and forget about it. :)

Chrisski, it sounds like a quad would be a good fit for you. Hold out for a 4x4 model if you can with an engine of at least 350cc. If you get into hilly country at all...you'll be thankful you did. 

• Like 1

SCUBA tanks are at 3000 PSI.  I heard they'd go through cinderblocks, but this video shows them doing damage to a cement wall.

For the onboard system, I had not thought about the CO2 or Nitrogen, but I don't like to go shopping, so I'd not add filling a cylinder to my routine.  I'm pretty sure I'll go with the onboard VIAIR, but I'm looking at placement in the truck along the frame.  The ARB compressor would not fit under the hood.  Not much room and in the cab behind the seats is started to get filled up with tools.

I've aired down and filled my tires dozens of times on my CO2 tank and its still full, so you wouldnt be making routine stops to fill, I just swap mine out at Ace Hardware takes a few minutes.

As far as safety, if I am in an accident bad enough to damage one of those tanks I would probably be damaged from the accident alone. I will be making a rear bumper mount or under carriage mount for it too.

If you go with a 12v compressor and can fit a small air tank under your truck that will help fill the tires a little faster. 

While we are on the topic of exploding tanks, ever seen what a residential water heater can do?

Mythbusters water heater

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ArcticDave said:

I have the tube frame buggy now and life is a bit simpler. 

Was that your sandrail at the outing Dave? Is so, sweet dude!!! Those are a blast! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

Yup! Got it the day before the outing...and started tearing it apart the day after :25r30wi:

It's a blast to drive. Much better on the kidneys than the Jeep!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ArcticDave said:

Yup! Got it the day before the outing...and started tearing it apart the day after :25r30wi:

Man I know how that goes, I have just as much fun working on my truck as I do driving it. FINALLY gonna start the Bronco suspension swap, I decided to wait and compile all the parts I want instead of adding them one at a time. I have been a super patient Craigslist thrifty parts shopper. In the last six months I've picked up lockers and 4.56 gears for both axles at 1/3 of retail cost or lower and five tires. I've basically got $2100 in new tires expcept for one slightly used, I paid $655 for them all total, they were spares off of guys trucks and are only a few years old and one is new 2017 made another is 2016. Was just in Phoenix last night getting the 5th one a BFG KM2 for $100 :brows:. I went with 35's, three are goodyear kevlars, one Cooper sst pro and the km2. Its gonna be a stictly offroad truck so who cares if they dont match. I love Craigslist!! Just had to pony up for the master gear install kits and seals for the diffs but thats okay. Last thing on my list to get is DOM tubing for the steering.

1201172110.jpg

• Like 1

I looked at the CO2, and for me, I think the VIA air will work best.

From what I read on some of the Jeep forums a 10 LBS bottle will last five trips with four tires from 16 PSI to filled.   My tires are 32" or 33", so I expect the same use.  Definitely quicker than the air compressor. There's some home keg orator bottles for sale on Craigslist, and some of the Powertank CO2.  CO2 fills would take probably five minutes or less if I'm reading the charts right.  The 2 Gallon tank Viair system could take 40 minutes.  Both have it's drawbacks.  The OBA is the longer wait, and the CO2 mostly going to an Ace Hardware.  CO2 fill ups seem to be priced $7 to $15.

What I don't know is if I can fill the CO2 at my house from a bigger tank.  I don't think so since it's liquid.  Seems different than filling a Scuba Tank.  I've seen some threads on someone rigging a SCUBA tank, but that takes up a bit of room and seems good if you have access to free air fills.  The compressed air tanks don't last as long as the CO2 tank.

Overall good day out on my elusive hunt for Gold.  I did get a compressor and the ride was much smoother.  Thanks for the tips.

What I did see was a sign closing the road to motorized traffic because of a BLM limited use area (pic posted).  I was real bummed to see that.  I also see that there were definitely tracks for people who drove there.  I am the type of guy that follows the rules, so this slowed me down getting to my spot.  Although it is not on the map desert pilot posted, I did look for an older area that had Schist, not Pinal Schist or Yavapai Schist, but Schist none the less.  Probably won't go to that spot again, but will continue looking at the area.

I had enjoyed a night sleeping in the bed of the pickup on a cot watching the meteor shower.  I mentioned the trip to a couple of people I work with, but they just don't get the adventure.

CAM00726.jpg

• Like 5

It’s always good to get out. Finding gold is a bonus. Your on the right track with the remote areas. 

Definitely fun to get out.  I think remote away from populated areas is key.

Next one's going to be more remote.  Even though I had to walk in for this one, three years ago, that sign was not there, so anyone could have driven to that site.  Also, it's the first area to look at on BLM land after you leave the black top, even though it's three or four miles from it.  I'm sure there's at least a dozen forum members that have been down that road, and I wouldn't be surprised if they detected the same washes.  You follow the access roads and it's the first place on the map, even though you have to walk from the access road.

People will still go to those remote areas, but if they are not a day trip from a valley of four million people, the pool gets smaller and smaller.

For this trip, the copper ore came from an area marked pre-Cambrian ,1 billion years old, on the map but looked a lot like the ore from the last mine I went to that was marked Tertiary, up to 20 million years old.  I was kind of expecting the copper staining to be much bigger.  The picture where I'm pointing is the ore from the mine with the young rocks, and the other pic is the mine with the old rocks.

The amount of trash in the washes in the area made metal detecting painful.  Most of these washes were covered with brush.

Not a geologist, but the geological maps had marked the area with phyllite, but I didn't see any.  There was definitely Schist, but sometimes it was deep, and looked to be buried by lava in most places and could mostly be seen where a creek cut deep or a shaft was dug.

Also, this was the biggest operation I've been to in the area and was surprised to see the mine was not named and there was nothing on minedat about it. Tailings piles were 12' deep in places.  Much bigger than the Eagle Cloud mine by the Little San Domingo.

IMG_20171215_182558.jpg

CAM00700.jpg

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 3

Got out again this weekend.  I'm finding even though the geological maps list separated by several miles as the same thing as the other,  the geology is pretty unique to each area.  One area has everything you want in an area to detect gold such as the red dirty quartz, but the other area, even though the map lists it as the same is totally lacking these indicators.  Could also explain why that first area is all claimed up, and the second area is nearly completely empty of claims with most sections unclaimed and those that do have claims, have a couple.

Other thing is I was surprised at the size of the mines on the maps.  They are tiny.  I want to a few places this weekend listed as prospects and someone may have taken a couple of excavator buckets out and now it's on a map as a prospect or diggings type unknown.  I know I wasn't the first to go out to this area because its on the map and I was also not the last.  The bigger ones were 6' X 12' and 3' deep.  The tunnels are the same.  Most are 6' X 6' and 10' to 30' deep, and then the digging stopped.  A few I could not see the ends, but I guess with the amount of tailings around, they were not that much bigger.

Next to one of the two tunnels I saw where they were following a vein, I found this oven.  By another tunnel, someone had recently entered it.  Me personally, I would want to rig up a better system prior to exploring a tunnel for samples.  Also lots of green ore at these sites.

CAM00815.jpg

CAM00781.jpg

CAM00818.jpg