Nugget Shooter Forums

What I think I need or would like is for someone to take me or show me and old worked out patch , Not a new producing place . I am looking for , why you hunted there , what made you look for gold there.

I need to learn the "whys" of prospecting , and what to look for .

If anyone would be that kind , just let me know and I can meet in Gold Basin  to learn.

Thanks.

Edited by azdigger

Thick nasty red clay, hot rocks, float quartz, ironstones and greenstones have been in most of the patches I’ve hunted in central and southern Arizona.

Locate a nice flat, mellow area in a known goldfield with those kind of surface conditions and there might be nuggets suspended down in the clay. I think that thick clay works as kind of a bedrock in certain areas here in Arizona that haven’t seen enough water to be cut down to exposed stone bedrock. 

• Like 1

I dont think you will get anyone to give up an old patch as that can give away how to find gold in that area someone has tried hard to find.

Might be better to ask if anyone would meet you at a club claim and show you how they prospect an area. I know your getting desperate to find a nugget, but I bet being at the outing in November might get someone to take you out, I got lucky that way at my first outing, I also never directly asked for that. Then paid it forward a couple outings later and got a guy on his first detected nug. It will be your turn soon.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, azdigger said:

What I think I need or would like is for someone to take me or show me and old worked out patch , Not a new producing place . I am looking for , why you hunted there , what made you look for gold there.

I need to learn the "whys" of prospecting , and what to look for .

If anyone would be that kind , just let me know and I can meet in Gold Basin  to learn.

Thanks.

Geeze Rick If I lived up that way I would for sure help you out-I would even help you out at the outing but I wont be attending-Im not into the big crowd thing anymore :nutty: Hang in there someone will step up and help out :arrowheadsmiley:Mike C...:200:

• Like 3

Azdigger, I can't help you much as I'm very new to this game as well and also ask myself what the heck am I looking for everytime I'm out. Red dirt in some areas and white patches in others. Differences and junctions of the soil colors, signs of fractures...streams appearing or slipping underground indicators of fault lines and the almighty quartz float and serpentine zones, gets my head spinning. I'm looking for them all and they seem to be everywhere, fortunately (depending on how you look at it) a lot or most of the gold proudicing ones I think have been discovered and some trace of their location marked by previous activity and in saying this know I'm not saying anything you and most everyone already knows, this is question as much as statement... in saying this all of my nuggets have been found by confidence. All have been found in heavily pounded ground and only after forcing myself to pick an area and slow down searching inch by inch for the remaining spread out nuggets in worked ground. I just got back from rye patch and 4 full days of hunting reallly good looking ground and on the third day hit one .7g nugget for the trip and I'm happy as hell, my last two trips were skunks. The shiny flat gold, coins and Opel were from the club rye patch outing, the one covered in calcite is the .7g after a bath in CLR I found. The jeep tire was just another part of the adventure and a chance to make a new friend at big-o-tires in winnemucca, also stopped in to see Peg Leg John on the way back to rye patch, john's always a friendly face and a few good stories. Anyway I diverge, again all my nuggets I've found going slow, really slow and in spots I've cornered before that I missed more than once on previous trips. Another half of those in tight spots, under obstructions that make it tough for good coil swings and thus more likely missed. I'm new, this my disclaimer if I lead you astray... hunt worked areas, I look for old and new dug ground and I follow any tracks I find and go slow. Not saying that this isn't what you are doing now, probably you are, really most all my time is enjoying the hunt with scarce seconds of euphoria...great isn't it. 

Best of luck, clark

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

• Like 9

Have you been back to that spot where those guys found the six nuggets? 

The monster is no match for the SDC on small nuggets at depth, but it will find smaller stuff the SDC will have trouble hearing.  Depth can also be made up for by raking or scraping off an inch or two of overburden.  Sometimes it's a game of half inches.  Don't let what happened at that spot discourage you.  There is still gold there.  If you're finding birdshot with the monster that's good, but keep in mind that the same sized piece of gold will not be as loud.  You are in a gold bearing area, and you know of at least one spot where detectable gold has been found.  They didn't get it all.  The monster will find gold the SDC will struggle to hear.  You should be running in all metal and digging everything.  Recheck your holes.  Your first 'nugget' might not be a trophy, but any gold found with a detector is a score and it counts.

Edited by LukeJ
  • Like 5
1 hour ago, LukeJ said:

Have you been back to that spot where those guys found the six nuggets? 

The monster is no match for the SDC on small nuggets at depth

I think he has a 4500 now as well, he should hit that spot with it if so and rake rocks.:head:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Alwaysdirty said:

I think he has a 4500 now as well, he should hit that spot with it if so and rake rocks.:head:

There are so many variables.  A nugget with the 4500 would be a nice score.  :yesss:

I was just thinking that when I am looking for a 'guarantee',  I go small.  There could very well be a few larger nuggets lurking around those parts, but for every chunk there's probably at least a dozen little bits.  Without actually seeing the ground and finding some of the gold that's there, it's tough to say much more.

If I lived a couple hours closer, I would be happy to meet up and see what it looks like.  Not sure when I'll get up to Gold Basin again and I'm hoping Rick has found a nugget before then.

not long until the outing ,  I will wait , I most probably got the worst skunk , been looking now for about 5 years.

Rick,

We have been to some old patches.  We didn't get you a nugget.

I suggest you take your test nuggets and practice hearing them at depth.  Make a test garden so you know how deep you can hear them.

Go see Frank C.  He'll get your head straight!

Mitchel

• Like 2

Hey Frank C. any chance you can meet up with Rick and help put him on nugget! The man is going to go off the deep end if he doesn't get a nugget soon!!! LOL!

18 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Azdigger, I can't help you much as I'm very new to this game as well and also ask myself what the heck am I looking for everytime I'm out. Red dirt in some areas and white patches in others. Differences and junctions of the soil colors, signs of fractures...streams appearing or slipping underground indicators of fault lines and the almighty quartz float and serpentine zones, gets my head spinning. I'm looking for them all and they seem to be everywhere, fortunately (depending on how you look at it) a lot or most of the gold proudicing ones I think have been discovered and some trace of their location marked by previous activity and in saying this know I'm not saying anything you and most everyone already knows, this is question as much as statement... in saying this all of my nuggets have been found by confidence. All have been found in heavily pounded ground and only after forcing myself to pick an area and slow down searching inch by inch for the remaining spread out nuggets in worked ground. I just got back from rye patch and 4 full days of hunting reallly good looking ground and on the third day hit one .7g nugget for the trip and I'm happy as hell, my last two trips were skunks. The shiny flat gold, coins and Opel were from the club rye patch outing, the one covered in calcite is the .7g after a bath in CLR I found. The jeep tire was just another part of the adventure and a chance to make a new friend at big-o-tires in winnemucca, also stopped in to see Peg Leg John on the way back to rye patch, john's always a friendly face and a few good stories. Anyway I diverge, again all my nuggets I've found going slow, really slow and in spots I've cornered before that I missed more than once on previous trips. Another half of those in tight spots, under obstructions that make it tough for good coil swings and thus more likely missed. I'm new, this my disclaimer if I lead you astray... hunt worked areas, I look for old and new dug ground and I follow any tracks I find and go slow. Not saying that this isn't what you are doing now, probably you are, really most all my time is enjoying the hunt with scarce seconds of euphoria...great isn't it. 

Best of luck, clark

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1190.JPG

Please don't tell me you found that piece of opal with your detector.

GPZ gets 40% more opal, I wish. One of the terrific members in my club donated that beauty for our veterans raffle and I had the lucky ticket:-)

• Like 5
On 10/17/2017 at 10:12 AM, Tortuga said:

Thick nasty red clay, hot rocks, float quartz, ironstones and greenstones have been in most of the patches I’ve hunted in central and southern Arizona.

Locate a nice flat, mellow area in a known goldfield with those kind of surface conditions and there might be nuggets suspended down in the clay. I think that thick clay works as kind of a bedrock in certain areas here in Arizona that haven’t seen enough water to be cut down to exposed stone bedrock. 

Good point Tortuga. Sometimes that "clay" is decomposed bedrock, but regardless, it is a nugget trap for sure. 

• Like 2

Thanks Jen , I did buy a Monster from Bill , and I do plan on being at the outing. In fact I hope to get there on Thursday the 16th and staying until Sunday.

I have a test nugget and test meteorites both gold basin and Franconia.

2 hours ago, azdigger said:

Thanks Jen , I did buy a Monster from Bill , and I do plan on being at the outing. In fact I hope to get there on Thursday the 16th and staying until Sunday.

I have a test nugget and test meteorites both gold basin and Franconia.

I don't think your issue is knowing how to use the Monster. Rather.. it lies on finding a spot that has gold. I've said this many times before. Learning to use your detector is the easy part. Getting your coil over a piece of gold is the hard part and encompasses all facets of prospecting.

• Like 3

Morlock , I agree completely .  I think I just need to know what to look for and such. Geology was not my best subject.

I got some new ideas and will try them out, I think I will make it to GB again on Tues the 24th .

azdigger
A lot of good advice here already. Have you tried reading some good books on prospecting. please excuse me if you already answered this question. I will say I gota give you credit for trying.
AzNuggetBob

In my opinion. 
"Books on prospecting will help you find gold. books on geology will help you find a lot more gold."
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 4

I am reading "follow the drywashers" and "Fists full of gold"

kiinda clutters my mind a bit, like an overload but working on it.

• Like 2