Nugget Shooter Forums

Fluid Bed Gold?

Rebel73153

Has anyone ever tried a fluid bed set up for running beach sands for beach gold? Something like the Quicksand Concentrator or similar? Been thinking about it and don't see why it wouldn't work, and you can run quite a bit of material through them.

00I0I_i05XkmgAr3G_600x450.jpg

Rebel it may work. I haven't tried one of these, but it looks like its based on a center-fuse. I ran several of these on a larger scale and they work. AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob
  • Like 1

Website I looked at did not tell how much material it could handle.  It did say multiple 5 gallon buckets of material and end up with a 1/2 a pan of concentrates.  I'm not sure how that translates into buckets per hour.  It also says it needs to be screened to 1/2" or 1/8", and that takes a while.  The video shows the material being sorted to 8 mesh, so where I go, it takes me an hour to fill a single 8 mesh bucket digging as quick as I can.  The price did not include the pump or recirculating system.

I still think a sluice with a grizzly to separate the rocks out is the way to go.  You'll have much more than a 1/2 pan of concentrates left over, but the volume of material will make up for it.

I am talking about running beach sands through it. The material is already smaller than 8 mesh so no classifying needed. And i already have the pump and hose so that is not a problem. And i plan to build my own fluid bed with materials i mostly have so minimal cost. I just wonder how one would work for the purpose specified.

A long time ago, I used to drive a cement truck for a company that did concrete panel repairs for roads and airport runways....while we would pour the "mud", there would be a guy standing to the side with a big "wand"....every time he'd stick it in the mud, the level of the "mud" would drop a few inches....IIRC, it was a really heavy duty vibrator...My first thought when I seen it in operation was that it would be a great way to settle out gold.....it would have the same effect as shaking a gold pan, but at a much more intense level....with a little creative engineering, I'll bet a guy could build himself a really good recovery system for processing large amounts of beach sand....

I can think of numerous ways to do it....5 gallon bucket at the end of your sluice would be one way, but keep your water flow moderate....and there are a lot of different ways you could employ to get the desired vibration on the bucket...Think= "redneck jig" If I were trying to recover really fine gold, I'd personally use mercury and a retort for the final cleanup....but, I'd advise against the mercury unless you know wtf you're doing....

Yea, Mercury is some dangerous stuff if you don't know how to handle it properly. Most of the beach gold is minus 100 and smaller, so it is about as fine as you can get. Thanks for the input.

Well i guess if you count the water hitting the sides of the container after be spayed in from the holes in the center it post tubing it would be a form of vibration.

Edited by Rebel73153

6 hours ago, middleforkminer2 said:

Looking at that concentrator you posted, I'd bet money it has a built in vibration system.....

6 hours ago, Rebel73153 said:

Well i guess if you count the water hitting the sides of the container after be spayed in from the holes in the center it post tubing it would be a form of vibration.

A fella I know used to have one and probably still does, it doesn't vibrate at all, it just uses water flow to force the lighter material up and out the top letting the heavier material fall down towards the bottom.

If the water flow is adjusted properly it should do fine on beach gold.

Rebel The more I look at this device it looks more like a Blue bowl than a true centrifuge. We used to make them out of a one piece angel food cake pan.

http://www.bateasdeoro.es/uploads/764893-800x600/galeria_1/1498479408315.GCB.jpg.png

No, these are Nothing like a Blue Bowl. It is like putting material into a bucket and then stick a hose down in to the bottom of the center of the bucket. The lighter stuff floats out and the heavy stuff stays on the bottom.

On 10/8/2017 at 6:24 PM, Rebel73153 said:

Has anyone... <snip>

I don't think on a subject like this Bill would mind a link to this topic on another site, especially since there's plenty of cross-talk between there and here.. If I'm incorrect I'm sure either Skip or Bill will suggest a workaround..

Over on Steve's site there's a fellow with username johnedoe.. He's from the central Oregon coastal area and has had a thread about beach gold recovery going for about a year.. So, here's a guy, in your neck of the woods, who's been doing for quite a while something you're either looking to get into or improving your recovery capability.. Can't ask for more than that.. I think he has an even longer running thread on treasurenet, but this'll get you in the door on a site I know for sure co-exists with a friendly relationship to here: 
http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/2778-beach-mining/

Swamp