Nugget Shooter Forums

Best coil choice for GPX

I have a DD 11' coil and mono 11' coil for my GPX ,  is there a best choice for meteorites , hoping to go to Franconia soon.

Hi azdigger, i have the same set up and i have found the mono coil is my choice. I usually hunt irons, and so if you have a couple sample meteorites you might try testing both coils on irons and stones. Not sure, but curious now if DD works better on stones. I will try my own test and see which i found works best. If all you want to find is an iron then i would choose the mono!:brows:

• Like 1

Mike , not sure if I am ready for a big coil , would like to get a smaller mono coil , such as a joey or Sadie to hunt with.

I think I am going to go to Franconia on Tuesday and give it a try. I know I should find .50 and .30  cal heads

Rick; You really don't need any other coils...the mono is great but will react more to hot-rocks. The dd can be used as a very sensitive psudo-mono...learn what you have...unless you have money to burn...

that said, the ufo is an excellent coil for small and large objects; and great ground coverage...it was one of my favorite coils!

good luck

fred

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, azdigger said:

Mike , not sure if I am ready for a big coil , would like to get a smaller mono coil , such as a joey or Sadie to hunt with.

I think I am going to go to Franconia on Tuesday and give it a try. I know I should find .50 and .30  cal heads

I hear you I bought it for Gold basin since its wide open ground and I could cover alot in a short amount of time the only problem is I dont know when Ill be up that way again so maybe Ill post it in the classifieds-Good luck :head: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

Use the 11" Mono and run it in enhanced mode....will eliminate most hot rocks..If you do happen to get a rock that sounds off...pick it up and run it across the coil. Most hot rocks will only sound off when in close contact with coil, I mean you have to be right on it. Pull it away and the sound  goes away doesn't dissipate like a metallic object would gradually as you take it away from coil . I run my Monos in enhanced and don't seem to see much depth lose.

• Like 2

Relic you are right on...I forget how to use stuff when I no longer use it so That is a great tip.

Rick, I found that the sound of ironstone and those shisty-ironstones in gold basin had a very distinct warble,,,once you get it they won't bother too much. Of course you will still want to kick them aside until you really know them...which is not to love them!

fred

Right now , getting started with the GPX, if it beeps I dig it.....

Been watching a video by Chris about the GPX 4500 . learning a lot...best until I get hands on.

• Like 1