Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Cube Feedback wanted

Rebel73153

I am thinking about a Gold Cube for use on beach sands. Would appreciate input from those that have or have had one and used it for that purpose. Will it do any better than my re-circulating drop riffle sluice? Are they pretty good at capturing the beach gold? Do you think they are worth the nearly $400 price? Any feedback appreciated.  Thanks

My personal thoughts / experience: 

I use a 4 stack Gold Cube as my final clean up for the highbanker, gold dredge and drywasher.  It is my humble opinion that any gold missed by the Cube is not worth my time and effort to recover.  I have tested my 4-stack Cube several times and have not found anything missed.  I have wondered several times whether I even need the four stack (vs. three stack), but will continue to use it for the peace of mind.  I used to use a small re-circulating sluice as my final clean up.  I was not completely confident with this, so I had kept my cons after running them through the re-circulator.  Had about 11 buckets of this material when I finally got the Cube and re-ran this material through the Cube.  There was a good amount recovered in the Cube that had been missed by the re-circulator.

-Joe

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rebel73153 said:

Thanks for the reply. I wonder how they would work on beach gold? I am thinking the 3 stack is probably all a person really needs.

Get the 3 stack, find some gold.  Then get the last piece if you think you 'need' it.

Good luck.  Looking forward to seeing what you'll find.

Luke

27 minutes ago, Rebel73153 said:

Still wondering if it would be any good for the beach gold and black sands?

I know that people use the Gold Cube in Nome Alaska, so I would think it does a good job on fine beach gold in blacksands.

I also know that the Gold Cube does very well here in the southeastern USA gold belt capturing extremely fine gold out of heavy blacksands which we have tons of...blacksands that is!!

I will put a couple of drawbacks I've found.  I have a four stack that sits in my garage.  I basically got sick of spending an hour screening a bucket to -8 mesh that produced not enough gold to be worth my time.

It can move a reasonable amount of material only if it is already screened.  I can move four to 12 five gallon buckets per hour pre screened, probably more like six to eight.  Keep in mind 1 ton of material is 36 buckets.  If your sand is -8 mesh, it could be fine.  I can't speak to the trommels and goldbanker additions to screen material, but those do not look like production and look like it would really slow you down.  If your material is not 8 mesh you're moving, then you probably need to consider sticking with a recirculating sluice that can.  I would think the cube is much more suited to clean up a five gallon bucket of sluice concentrates than it is an actual production model.

My experience with recirculating is in soil that turns to mud when recirculated, and that slows the process down a lot and also ups the requirement for water.  I imagine ocean beach sand to be clear of that silt, so I hope you don't have these issues.

As for the $400 price, I'd add a $200 to it.  A $75 battery at least, a stand maybe $75, a ten gallon concrete mixing buckets from home depot $7,  a thirty gallon concrete mixing buckets from home depot $15, ten five gallon buckets with lids $50, and of course a roll of duct tape $5.  To really put bling on it, you can replace the hoses with braided PVC tubing to make it durable, maybe $25.  To save money you can use the wife's hairdrier to make the PVC soft enough to fit over the attachments.

If ever in Oregon, I'd love to search the beaches for gold.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2017 at 2:41 PM, Rebel73153 said:

I am thinking about a Gold Cube for use on beach sands... <snip>

There's vid on YouTube of Mike (Pung) running a pre-production prototype (I "think" it's pre-production -- older vid, haven't seen it in a good long time) on the shore of Lake Superior.. Very possible newer vid by him has since been posted..

Swamp

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

I think the cube is way too small to be used for serious production. Most likely for processing the concentrates from a dry washer or dredge.

I agree, but only after spending 16 hours running 10 buckets.  10 hours of that was digging and classifying; 3 hours cleaning and setting up, maybe 3 hours running and panning the material.

I would not have agreed with you before th

• 2 weeks later...

I have the three stack and just added the high banker setup. Quartz in rock processing down to minus 100 with nothing showing in the run out when panned. I use it for sampling mostly. Rarely find any gold on the bottom shelf.

Will be using it on our new claim which has seasonal creek.

I did have a complaint in the length of the racks not accommodating five gallon buckets underneath the run out. One inch taller would have been nice.

Still out on the high banker setup for the price. I would probably have just stuck with my trommel.

• Like 1