Nugget Shooter Forums

GPX 4500

azdigger

OK , now that I let the cat(detector) out of the bag . Can I get any tips.

I plan on going first to Gold Basin , but I want to hunt meteorites in Gold Basin and Franconia.

The Monster is not out but now It has a friend to hunt with...........

Thanks ahead for any tips.

Rick; start out with the suggestions in the manual...get Jonathan Porters video if you can...If you got a dd coil with the package you have a very sensitive psudo-mono option. You also have the ability to work very near powerlines with the dd and cancel. BEWARE, if you flip to cancel with a mono the detector will be very quiet---and you won't find anything smaller than a car-haha.

read the manual x 10

fred

• Like 2

Its brand new , comes with both 11" DD and 11" Mono.

Been reading and watch Kevin's video plus any other info I can get

Rick, sensitive extra is best for the basin and Franconia....hope you get some good ones...

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 2

Thanks Dave, this is what I need or what is input from someone that has used the 4500 in GB.

What coil do you suggest, 11" DD or 11" mono .

Mono. I never used a DD, unless your under power lines, or really heavy mineralized area, which drove the mono crazy.

• Like 2

Going out to GB on the 13th thru the 15th to hunt.....gonna find something for sure.

Will be camped on bahde 10 at the usual camp spot. Dark gray chevy avalanche and a red tent , pus my Black Polaris ranger. Anyone feel free to stop by.

• Like 1

I had the GPX5000, which is pretty much the same machine.  Sensitive Xtra was my goto timing.  Mono coils were always best for me.  If you buy new coils, get flat wire (elite or evolution) it'll help you still get smaller stuff.   Scrub the coil on the ground if able. 

• Like 3

If you bought it new you should have bought from someone that would train you, lot to learn on that detector, but can be frustrating during the learning curve if new to PI detectors. Like Fred said read the manual over and over and watch videos and remember there is NO good all around setting on the GPX and it must be set up from scratch in each new placer area you go to hunt ie: GB to LSD etc.....

• Like 3

I did get it new in the box, guy bought it then did not use it.....no training. If it was not such a good deal I would have been on your door.....

I will try to learn this machine.

1 hour ago, azdigger said:

I did get it new in the box, guy bought it then did not use it.....no training. If it was not such a good deal I would have been on your door.....

I will try to learn this machine.

If you got a good deal on the 4500, perhaps there's still some coin left to pick up a lesson from Bill?

• Like 1

OK, now I see why no training was offered and perhaps at the outing I will have time to help out. With the 4500 keeping it stable is very important especially if looking for deep targets. The "sensitivity" "threshold, and GB are very important in helping achieve this. Factory pre set setting are OK to start out, but it is only a starting point and up to you after that and try adjusting different settings related to stability over a in ground faint target before you dig (not planted) see if you can increase the detectors ability to "see" the target or not and pay attention to what settings work best for the area you are in. HUNT SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW like a snail with a broken foot...

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Been reading the manual and watching Kevin Hoglans video on the GPX.

The one thing I have gathered is go SLOW , like real slow and then even slower . :yesss:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

OK, now I see why no training was offered and perhaps at the outing I will have time to help out. With the 4500 keeping it stable is very important especially if looking for deep targets. The "sensitivity" "threshold, and GB are very important in helping achieve this. Factory pre set setting are OK to start out, but it is only a starting point and up to you after that and try adjusting different settings related to stability over a in ground faint target before you dig (not planted) see if you can increase the detectors ability to "see" the target or not and pay attention to what settings work best for the area you are in. HUNT SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW like a snail with a broken foot...

Dang Bill, that is slow. Lol. I agree, read up on it, learn it's settings then read some more. Good luck with the new toy Rick, you'll like it I'm sure. 

• Like 2

OK , got my GPX 4500 in hand now, I think the worst part was putting it together and waiting for the battery to charge.

I will see what I need to do tomorrow and I might take it to GB for a trial run.

:ROFL: If nothing else now I look good with my new machine.....:yesss:

Edited by azdigger
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4