Nugget Shooter Forums

Monster Mods

TomH

Wanted to pass a couple of things I did to our Monster to make life easier.

First the detector seems to like to lay on its side when you set it down to work a target. I spread the feet on the base out and put a thin aluminum strip on the bottom to give it more of a base.  Works a LOT better.

Also put some weather strip foam around the top to pad is some for when it does flip over.  Probably will still have to work this as I dont see it staying on too long.

Last, put a MATTE finish screen protector on the LCD screen. It cuts down on the sun reflecting back into your eyes :)

Also wrapped some thin foam around the hand hold area to give it a little cushion.
Tom H.

SAM_1728.JPG

SAM_1729.JPG

Edited by TomH
  • Like 5

How did you attach the aluminum? I was just laying mine on its side instead of trying to use the feet, it was hopeless.

When using your headphone adapter and headphones does the external speaker still sound?

Mine does and the headphones at the same time, but the external speaker doesn't sound with regular headphones not needing the adapter. I did buy a different brand then yours but its still a stereo adapter thats all copper wiring.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Alwaysdirty said:

How did you attach the aluminum? I was just laying mine on its side instead of trying to use the feet, it was hopeless.

When using your headphone adapter and headphones does the external speaker still sound?

Mine does and the headphones at the same time, but the external speaker doesn't sound with regular headphones not needing the adapter. I did buy a different brand then yours but its still a stereo adapter thats all copper wiring.  

I spread the feet with a heat gun, set a heavy weight on it and let it cool. Drill two holes in the feet and alum and attach with two 10/24 screw/nuts

Yup, mine still sounds off externally. You could always put some duct tape over the external speaker vent to quite it down.

Tom

3 hours ago, Mike C... said:

Wow looks like the Monster Mash are you related to Mc Gyver :4chsmu1:Mike C...:200:

Hes my Son :4chsmu1:

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

31 minutes ago, TomH said:

Yup, mine still sounds off externally. You could always put some duct tape over the external speaker vent to quite it down.

Hmmm....that stinks. I hoped it was just my adapter. This thing has a very loud external speaker. I can feel it vibrate on large targets, kind of another form of target i.d.!

Not very stealthy though as I could here it echo through the wash I was in. I need to figure out a better work around then muffling the speaker, but that'll work for now. 

2 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

No it does not, if it is it is a defect..... The external speaker shuts off when headphones are plugged in. use of the wrong 1/8 to 1/4 adapter can cause issues as well if not stereo...

My adapter is stereo, Here is the one I am using.

If I plug in regular 1/8 jack headphones or ear buds the external speaker shuts off and does not sound, if I use the adapter and my Grey Ghost headphones then the external speaker is on and sounding.

I am sure that is the problem and I have also seen what Fred mentioned for myself and had to use a razor knife to cut off a little bit at base of shaft so it would plug in correctly. Let me know if you still have any issues, but I agree it is likely the adapter not making full contact inside.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 8:49 PM, homefire said:

That's  my thinking.  The plug is not going in  the Jack fare enough to Open the contacts.

Well that wasnt it, my jack was metal at the base so could not easily make it longer. I tried another adapter with a slightly longer jack and got the same issue. Turns out it is my headphones, I have Grey Ghost Ultimates, they have a switch on them for VLF or PI detectors, in one switch position my headphones work but the monster external speaker sounds off too, in the other switch position the external speaker does not sound off but I can just barely hear sounds through my headphones, even at full volume on the detector and headphones.Kind of frustrating! Does anyone know of 150ohm headphones with an 1/8 jack? What are you other guys using for headphones that dont have this issue? Is everyone using the supplied headphones or just living with the  external speaker sounding with headphones? I really dont like it...

I still think it's a 'mis-matched' plug and jack.

First you gotta make sure that the 1/8" inch plug is exactly the same as the one on the supplied headphones.  If they are, then you know for sure that the problem is at the 1/4" side.

Your headphones worked good on your other detectors right?  I wouldn't modify or change them if you don't have to.

Like the others have said, the 1/4" plug is probably not going in far enough into the jack.  I had a similar issue when I was trying to make a sturdier adaptor for my SDC.  I ended up going to Guitar Center and found a high quality 1/4" jack on another style adaptor.  It cost $10 but was worth it.   I had to cut the 1/4" jack off the purchased adaptor and solder it onto my SDC set-up.  Haven't had one issue yet.

Trouble is, most inexpensive items commonly found today are made overseas.  They just don't have the quality or consistancy we are looking for.  The one I got from Guitar Center was probably also made overseas, but it is made of metal and could be threaded apart for soldering to the new wire.

I tried several different jacks from Amazon and Ebay and they all went in the trash.  Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer for you.  Don't settle for less, you'll eventually get the right combination.

Good Luck

Luke

• Like 1

I got a $15 Grado super high quality adapter,same issue. I also cut the 1/4 plug from my headphones and soldered an 1/8 plug to them same issue. It has to be my headphones, they work fine on the GB2. Something with the switch on them and wiring that the monster doesnt like, I'll try soldering a different 1/8 jack tonight but I bet I get the same issue. Its not the monster because my Grado 32 ohm headphones with 1/8 plug work without the monster external speaker sounding, but because of the 32 ohm capacity the signals sound washed out and muffled.

Looking online at 150 and 250 ohm DJ headphones, they have 1/8 plugs, but super expensive,only found one pair under $150. But good sound can make athe difference between a find and not.

Maybe an electronics guru on here knows why my headphones are doing this, I am willing to open them up and experiment with wiring.

Just checked with Detector Pro who have loads of excellent headphones.  yes they are expensive ($150.00) but this will solve the problem forever.  They have Gray Ghost NTD (no down time) and Nugget Busters NTD which include two adapter cords.  1/4" and 1/8".  One of each size if you want so you can run any detector off the same headphone.  I have had Nugget Busters for over 10 years and I just love them. With lifetime warranty, one can't go wrong.

They still have the stereo/mono switch to make them "compatible" with many different detectors, I bet the same issue would exist. I am going to pull mine apart, bypass the sound limiting circuitry and make sure they are wired for stereo sound. If I brick them, well, I got a new paper weight and try something else!

Did it! Got my Grey Ghost headphones working with my GM1000 and the external speaker on the monster does not make any sound.:yesss:

I had to open up the headphones and bypass the mono/stereo switch and volume control which had the high volume limiter built into it. I just wired the speakers for stereo and it worked, I also already cut the 1/4 plug off and soldered on a 90 degree 1/8 plug from the chinese adapter. So no adapter and why do I need two volume controls anyways:idunno: 

• Like 4