Nugget Shooter Forums

Another oddball?

Doesn't look like it has "amber gems" to me.  Looks like a greenish gray rock with minerals.  Based solely on these photos I would go with the rock type as Lamprophyre and the minerals seen being hornblende or actinolite.  Use a brass brush and clean a small corner to see what it looks like cleaned.  Where did the rock come from?  knowing the local geology would be a big help.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2017 at 12:19 PM, 4meter said:

Doesn't look like it has "amber gems" to me.  Looks like a greenish gray rock with minerals.  Based solely on these photos I would go with the rock type as Lamprophyre and the minerals seen being hornblende or actinolite.  Use a brass brush and clean a small corner to see what it looks like cleaned.  Where did the rock come from?  knowing the local geology would be a big help.

New Hampshire.

Take a brass brush to a side and clean it up.  That might help in IDing the minerals that make up the rock.

Here is a rock/mineral hunting guide to NH.  This will help you as you collect.  On page 42 there is a rock sample that, with some weathering would be a dead ringer for your sample.  If so, you have a talc, actinolite schist.  The elongated, Actinolite blades would be hard (5.5 on mohs scale) compared to the Talc matrix around them that should be soft (2.5 on mohs scale).

• Like 1