Nugget Shooter Forums

CC / CCB following Irma..

Ok -- a quick word about the local beach conditions following Irma:

Unlike Matthew, Irma did do a scrub job to Cape Canaveral / Cocoa Beach.. I'd guesstimate she removed a good fifty linear feet of replenished sand to approx four feet deep nearest the water sloping upward to sand-height replenishment level overwash nearest the sea oats / mini-dunes..

What I wasn't expecting though was just how bad the detecting would be do to the scrubbing.. During two three-hour sessions this past Wednesday and Friday I recovered well under two dollars in change, four bottle caps, four pull tabs and one fake Hot Wheels.. If it wasn't for a small 925 silver ring found Wednesday way up high at the edge of the sea oats the trips would have been a total waste of time..

On Friday the beach was virtually abandoned -- to the point I was actually able to grid off the prime towel lines at Sheppard Park and detect well over 100 perpendicular feet from dune toe to water's edge, and within that area I recovered 4 dimes and nine pennies recent drops and two nickles + one quarter deeply buried.. That was it..!

This tells me whatever was there is now in the water.. So I guess I've finally run out of excuses for failing to replace my busted good water scoop and better do so pronto, cos if there's any stuff to be had that's where it now is..

Swamp

• Like 3

Not always so.   When I was there we too a Major Cut in the beaches a few time.  The heavies got tossed further inland.  People was finding goodies way up out of the water.

4 hours ago, homefire said:

Not always so... 

Welll, I did find that ring up high, but I think it was a sit-n-slide as opposed to a wash-up..

You'd need to see how things look these days to try to figure it out..

First thing is there's no cut, it's all slope.. I think part of this was caused due to the leading edge of the storm pushing water onshore from the SE rather than from the more typical NE, followed by the trailing side blowing seaward toward the ENE..
The other part of why I think stuff got washed out rather than tossed up is because the dunes only breached at the very lowest points, and then just barely.. Because the dunes there are nearly non-existant anyhow, when they replenished they did a kind of dune build-up also.. There are spots where the backside of the dunes are lower than the ocean side of some condo's property.. Weird..!

Point being is while there is a lot of wind-blown paper, plastic etc. entangled in the oats et al, by the time you've gotten that far back from the shore line there really isn't much if any ocean and/or beach heavies that wern't already there.. Limited-to-no water force in play..

Things could be totally different in S. Cocoa Beach, but as of now I haven't been south of 520 much less yet to the Treasure Coast..

Swamp

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2017 at 4:38 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

Welll, I did find that ring up high, but I think it was a sit-n-slide as opposed to a wash-up..

You'd need to see how things look these days to try to figure it out..

First thing is there's no cut, it's all slope.. I think part of this was caused due to the leading edge of the storm pushing water onshore from the SE rather than from the more typical NE, followed by the trailing side blowing seaward toward the ENE..
The other part of why I think stuff got washed out rather than tossed up is because the dunes only breached at the very lowest points, and then just barely.. Because the dunes there are nearly non-existant anyhow, when they replenished they did a kind of dune build-up also.. There are spots where the backside of the dunes are lower than the ocean side of some condo's property.. Weird..!

Point being is while there is a lot of wind-blown paper, plastic etc. entangled in the oats et al, by the time you've gotten that far back from the shore line there really isn't much if any ocean and/or beach heavies that wern't already there.. Limited-to-no water force in play..

Things could be totally different in S. Cocoa Beach, but as of now I haven't been south of 520 much less yet to the Treasure Coast..

Swamp

Do you know of any recent finds from Sebastian Inlet or Vero Beach? 

After Irma, on the treasure coast side, guys were digging a lot of musket balls, maybe some Spanish silver too. Another treasure hunter from Georgia (NC?), anyway it was one of those states. He went down there following along a ways behind, checking the dug holes which didn't get filled in... finds included a lot of missed musket balls, encrusted objects, and a beautiful very ornate Spanish gold coin (left behind in one of the holes).

5 hours ago, Morlock said:

Do you know of any recent finds from Sebastian Inlet or Vero Beach? 

The only things I know are what YouTube vids have shown up through around two weeks ago.. I still haven't made it down there yet though, so without talking to detectorists from the area......... Finds by non-lease holders and/or on-shore finds don't generally "make the 'papers," ya know..?

What I can tell you is up this way it's still been too rough to work the tide line.. Been that way the entire time.. It may look like it's calmed down, with only 'little' waves breaking right at the shore -- but those little waves are still 2-3' with a strong back-wash -- making it pretty impossible to work a low-tide shelf if there is one.. All I got the last two days was real wet -- and dizzy if I happened to look as the outflow rushed past.. The slopes and towel lines remain virtually barren..

Swamp