Nugget Shooter Forums

Might Help Me Some

I just ordered Chris Ralph's book Fist Full of Gold.

I am hoping it will help me understand about gold a little more. The geology , signs it might be there  , and that type of thing.

Never really had that explained.

Any feed back on this book.

• Like 6

I like to think I've read a lot about prospecting, and I think Chris Ralph's book is the best reference book on prospecting for the small miner.  Another good thing is Chris Ralph sometimes comments here, continues to make You Tube videos, writes for the ICMJ, and is available at the gold shows I've been to.  I asked him a few years back at a show if he was going to write a sequel, he said another edition was coming out.  He is a mining engineer, so he has both the college education and practical experience.

One thing from the book that I just had to test myself:  He said where he found good size nuggets detecting in a patch, he doesn't tend to find placer gold in a drywasher.  Doesn't make sense to me, but when I went to a patch and drywashed, no luck for me.

Another story is about a father son teaming up to find gold and after a summer of heavy equipment, they recovered around two ounces of gold, deep, deep in debt.  Moral of the story: sample, sample, sample, and come up with a decent plan.

It talks a little bit about all types of mining for the small miner from metal detecting to dry washing, to sluicing, to dredging, and mentions some of the older methods.

• Like 6

The problem with learning geology is that you turn into a Labrador seeing a squirrel when driving. You'll start noticing the material in the side of the hill where they cut back for the road. We yell out at each other "quartz" when we spot a mineralization zone. Granted we live on the Motherload and travel north and south along the spine when visiting relatives south of us. Ray Mills has some great tips on what to watch for here in California.

• Like 2

Got my book today , busy reading like mad......the book was even signed , how cool.

try out what  I learn tomorrow in GB.

i

• Like 2
2 hours ago, azdigger said:

Got my book today , busy reading like mad......the book was even signed , how cool.

try out what  I learn tomorrow in GB.

I could hardly hear you digger, I'm a bit hard of hearing.  

Don't try too many things at one time, take your time and go slow and low.  

Old Tom   :Just_Cuz_06:

i

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Perhaps a copy of Zip-Zip would be better?

If you are going to be hunting Gold Basin most of the time.  You should try to learn specifically what to look for in Gold Basin.  Once you learn a few things to look for, the rest should take care of itself.  Don't over think it.  If there are people who continue to dry wash a certain area.  Detect that area.  Get in their holes and knock down their piles.  Be assured, no one gets it all.  I love it when I find a fresh dry washer hole.  They have been good to me.  :brows:  Which should also be a lesson to those who don't fill in their holes.  I see your work and I get some of the gravy too.  :yesss:

• Like 3

I realized I got my type set small , not sure how I did that.

I plan on hunting the washes and hillsides. see what that turns up.

Only in a small area , got 2 washes that come together.

Edited by azdigger

I love this book (Fist Full of Gold).  You'll read it and a year later read it again and understand it better.  So on and so on.  But your best learning will still be in the field.  IMO 

• Like 2

I will be in the field tomorrow ,  Headed for Gold Basin again......see if I learned anything :ROFL:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 9/24/2017 at 7:06 PM, chrisski said:

One thing from the book that I just had to test myself:  He said where he found good size nuggets detecting in a patch, he doesn't tend to find placer gold in a drywasher.  Doesn't make sense to me, but when I went to a patch and drywashed, no luck for me.

Chrisski  Im guessing you meant small placer gold. In most cases, most of the smaller gold travels faster. so it likely down the river, or down the hill from the good sized nuggets.
AzNuggetBob

1 hour ago, Andyy said:

I love this book (Fist Full of Gold).  You'll read it and a year later read it again and understand it better.  So on and so on.  But your best learning will still be in the field.  IMO 

Andyy Great book and thats the way it was for me with my first detector manual. :D  AzNuggetBob

• Like 1
3 hours ago, azdigger said:

I realized I got my type set small , not sure how I did that.

I plan on hunting the washes and hillsides. see what that turns up.

Only in a small area , got 2 washes that come together.

I enlarged the text for you.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1