Nugget Shooter Forums

2.9 Ounces

Nugget Shooter

Wow! I always thought all the stuff down that low was small. Guess im wrong :)
Tom H.

Holy Cow!  I've hunted many of the areas over there... All small gold, with 1 gram or so being the largest...Amazing... Cheers, Unc

Pretty much what TomH & Uncle Ron said too..

Even from all the way over here in FL I've seen where someone has been staking and selling claims for dirt cheap near the lower portion of Scenic Loop Road.. While it's virtually impossible for there to not be at least some gold everywhere down-slope of Rich Hill, I certainly never figured any of it would be of detectable size out there in the flats..

Your noting above where this one was found does explain a lot though, Bill.. Thanks for that..

Swamp

13 hours ago, mn90403 said:

I was in that area one time and I wouldn't exactly call it flat.  I needed 4WD and I didn't have it so I couldn't look at anything much but a GPAA claim over there.

True that, but relatively speaking it is (flat,) or at least appears to be from a "not right there" perspective..

I'm thinking for example looking E heading toward Congress from the 93/89 split, or even looking SE heading toward Stanton from Congress on Stanton Rd.. Everything appears flat in those directions, especially when ya look at what yer about to encounter heading N toward Yarnell -- an over 2K' change in elevation in about six driving miles, which would be, what?, like maybe two miles as the buzzard flies..?

Even at LDMA Stanton it's still relatively flat, but that is also where ya bump right up against the "everything changes from this point forward if going in these directions.."

I'm not even sure what you call that narrow a transition.. It isn't really 'foothills' I don't believe, although I imagine this term could be applied to some of the area to the NW off Stanton Rd.. But even there it's really narrow and you're really in the process of starting up the Bradshaws..

Still, I know exactly what you're talking about, and possibly exactly where you're talking about too, thanks to while one time trying to get to a GPAA claim heading S I guess it would be from Decision Corner.. The land is basically flat, yet we still hit this one short stretch I wouldn't chance going down in the van because I wasn't sure I could get back up it.. I hadn't Google Earth'ed the area, and even with one of Uncle Ron's maps (which we'd just gotten a couple days earlier) I didn't know / realize / understand the interconnectivity of the roads & trails there and that if I kept going S we'd eventually dump out onto 93 somewhere just W of Vulture Mine Rd..

Anyhow, which direction was your approach..? Were you trying to get there heading N off of 93 via Scenic Loop Rd or attempting to drop into the claim the same direction we tried..? We never made it to the claim we were trying to access, and the way I understood things there is more than one spot along (forget the name RD) that could / would wash out before eventually joining & becoming another road name prior to connecting with upper Scenic Loop Rd.. I only ask because you made it to a GPAA claim..

Swamp

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 8:55 PM, mn90403 said:

I was in that area one time and I wouldn't exactly call it flat.  I needed 4WD and I didn't have it so I couldn't look at anything much but a GPAA claim over there.

You mean like Google Earth flat, but then you get there and wonder how much your legs will be barking the next day?  Never had that happen.

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Andyy said:

You mean like Google Earth flat, but then you get there and wonder how much your legs will be barking the next day?  Never had that happen.

No, I mean things like the gullies are in hundreds of feet and not thousands of feet.  Some are very steep and roads will be washed out at times.  NOT FLAT  haha

On 9/24/2017 at 10:17 AM, Swampstomper Al said:

True that, but relatively speaking it is (flat,) or at least appears to be from a "not right there" perspective..

I'm thinking for example looking E heading toward Congress from the 93/89 split, or even looking SE heading toward Stanton from Congress on Stanton Rd.. Everything appears flat in those directions, especially when ya look at what yer about to encounter heading N toward Yarnell -- an over 2K' change in elevation in about six driving miles, which would be, what?, like maybe two miles as the buzzard flies..?

Even at LDMA Stanton it's still relatively flat, but that is also where ya bump right up against the "everything changes from this point forward if going in these directions.."

I'm not even sure what you call that narrow a transition.. It isn't really 'foothills' I don't believe, although I imagine this term could be applied to some of the area to the NW off Stanton Rd.. But even there it's really narrow and you're really in the process of starting up the Bradshaws..

Still, I know exactly what you're talking about, and possibly exactly where you're talking about too, thanks to while one time trying to get to a GPAA claim heading S I guess it would be from Decision Corner.. The land is basically flat, yet we still hit this one short stretch I wouldn't chance going down in the van because I wasn't sure I could get back up it.. I hadn't Google Earth'ed the area, and even with one of Uncle Ron's maps (which we'd just gotten a couple days earlier) I didn't know / realize / understand the interconnectivity of the roads & trails there and that if I kept going S we'd eventually dump out onto 93 somewhere just W of Vulture Mine Rd..

Anyhow, which direction was your approach..? Were you trying to get there heading N off of 93 via Scenic Loop Rd or attempting to drop into the claim the same direction we tried..? We never made it to the claim we were trying to access, and the way I understood things there is more than one spot along (forget the name RD) that could / would wash out before eventually joining & becoming another road name prior to connecting with upper Scenic Loop Rd.. I only ask because you made it to a GPAA claim..

Swamp

Swamp

Take a look at the huge alluvial fan just below Stanton on google earth . Its all volcanic flow. covers many square miles. AzNuggetBob

12 hours ago, mn90403 said:

No, I mean things like the gullies are in hundreds of feet and not thousands of feet.  Some are very steep and roads will be washed out at times.  NOT FLAT  haha

Yeah, like what Andyy said -- that's Google Earth flat.. :WOW::yikes:

9 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Swamp

Take a look at the huge alluvial fan just below Stanton on google earth . Its all volcanic flow. covers many square miles. AzNuggetBob

Ya know, I actually have looked numerous times at the area of -- welll, let's put Stanton as the center and then up to about 200 miles all directions from varying elevations.. Usually I always kept Stanton / Rich Hill as the center point but would dive bomb to wherever if something caught my attention.. Something I didn't do though was pay a whole lot of attention to the makeup of specific regions while viewing in Google Earth, as that would have required a whole other input mechanism -- be it books or another computer to facilitate a more seamless experience (as opposed to trying to jump back-n-forth on one machine n monitor..)

So, no -- not only didn't I realize the entirety of the area you reference had been completely volcanically encompassed, I had also never given it much thought.. Thanks for pointing this out, as it helps explain / expand upon Au "varieties" present and/or absent both there and vs further south..

Swamp

Two guys found a 10 oz'er in that area...They were drywashing the the nugget just fell out of the bank...I ghost wrote an article about it but I can't remember where it got published...Maybe the old AZOD site...I was the mining/prospecting editor for them...Don't think they're even around anymore...Cheers, Unc

by Jim Price

It was a pretty nippy morning in the shadow of Rich Hill when my partner Harry and I left the Stanton Camp for the half hour ride to our digging's.   We finally got set up and started the first run about 8:30 AM, with the first cleanup around only a half hour later.

We had worked outward to the right and to the left the prior day and the gold pickens were getting pretty thin. One place left to go was right up the middle. First cleanup looked pretty good. Harry was working with the pick and I had the #2 shovel moving trying to keep up with the big Gold King drywasher.

About 9:40 I turned to let the washer clear and start the second cleanup of the day. Harry was still picking away and suddenly he said "Jim!"   As I turned toward him he plopped this object in my hand.  Eyes wide, I responded,  "What the hell is this?" It looked like a piece of tarnished brass, and Harry was sure I was going to throw it away.

We Looked at it for a second and then spit on it and wiped it with my glove. Nearly fell off the shovel handle I was leaning on. We immediately shut down the blower and sat down to look it over and talk about it. Got some pictures and finished two more runs before heading back to camp.

The word finally got out and we had a great afternoon showing and explaining how it happened.  Friends, neighbors and others came to view it.

One of them was "Digger" who runs the backhoe for the digs, came around the corner of the motorhome and asked if we needed a plastic bottle for our gold. Harry looked at it and replied,  "No, the top isn't big enough."

Digger looked at him funny and walked away. We waited a few minutes and went over to his trailer and asked if he still had the bottle. Handed it to Harry, who then imitated trying to put something in it. After a few comical trys, Harry opened his hand with the nugget in it. “See, I told you it wouldn't go in there, he grinned at Digger.

Eyes wide, Digger shook his head.  “darn, I knew you guys were going to pull something like this on me.”

Harry and I both recognize the fact that there was no skill in finding the nugget, other than being at the right place at the right time.  One of our campmates probably summed it up right when he said,. "Even a blind hog can find an acorn once in awhile."

Enjoy the pictures.   It proves once again that there are still some great gold pieces out there.

http://www.azod.com/GoldProspecting/Archive2002/EYEofNeedle/EyeNug0002.jpg

Weight is 9.21 ounces with approximately 5 ounces of gold.  Jim & Harry dubbed it “The Eye of the Needle” nugget.

http://www.azod.com/GoldProspecting/Archive2002/EYEofNeedle/EyeNug0005.jpg

The nugget fresh from the ground, just moments after discovery.

http://www.azod.com/GoldProspecting/Archive2002/EYEofNeedle/EyeNugHR4.jpg

Dimensions are 2 1/2" X 3". Just a nice handful. image.png

image.pngimage.png

END

Edited by Uncle Ron
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Uncle Ron said:

Two guys found a 10 oz'er in that area...They were drywashing the the nugget just fell out of the bank...I ghost wrote an article about it but I can't remember where it got published...Maybe the old AZOD site...I was the mining/prospecting editor for them...Don't think they're even around anymore...Cheers, Unc

by Jim Price

It was a pretty nippy morning in the shadow of Rich Hill when my partner Harry and I left the Stanton Camp for the half hour ride to our digging's.   We finally got set up and started the first run about 8:30 AM, with the first cleanup around only a half hour later.

We had worked outward to the right and to the left the prior day and the gold pickens were getting pretty thin. One place left to go was right up the middle. First cleanup looked pretty good. Harry was working with the pick and I had the #2 shovel moving trying to keep up with the big Gold King drywasher.

About 9:40 I turned to let the washer clear and start the second cleanup of the day. Harry was still picking away and suddenly he said "Jim!"   As I turned toward him he plopped this object in my hand.  Eyes wide, I responded,  "What the hell is this?" It looked like a piece of tarnished brass, and Harry was sure I was going to throw it away.

We Looked at it for a second and then spit on it and wiped it with my glove. Nearly fell off the shovel handle I was leaning on. We immediately shut down the blower and sat down to look it over and talk about it. Got some pictures and finished two more runs before heading back to camp.

The word finally got out and we had a great afternoon showing and explaining how it happened.  Friends, neighbors and others came to view it.

One of them was "Digger" who runs the backhoe for the digs, came around the corner of the motorhome and asked if we needed a plastic bottle for our gold. Harry looked at it and replied,  "No, the top isn't big enough."

Digger looked at him funny and walked away. We waited a few minutes and went over to his trailer and asked if he still had the bottle. Handed it to Harry, who then imitated trying to put something in it. After a few comical trys, Harry opened his hand with the nugget in it. “See, I told you it wouldn't go in there, he grinned at Digger.

Eyes wide, Digger shook his head.  “darn, I knew you guys were going to pull something like this on me.”

Harry and I both recognize the fact that there was no skill in finding the nugget, other than being at the right place at the right time.  One of our campmates probably summed it up right when he said,. "Even a blind hog can find an acorn once in awhile."

Enjoy the pictures.   It proves once again that there are still some great gold pieces out there.

http://www.azod.com/GoldProspecting/Archive2002/EYEofNeedle/EyeNug0002.jpg

Weight is 9.21 ounces with approximately 5 ounces of gold.  Jim & Harry dubbed it “The Eye of the Needle” nugget.

http://www.azod.com/GoldProspecting/Archive2002/EYEofNeedle/EyeNug0005.jpg

The nugget fresh from the ground, just moments after discovery.

http://www.azod.com/GoldProspecting/Archive2002/EYEofNeedle/EyeNugHR4.jpg

Dimensions are 2 1/2" X 3". Just a nice handful. image.png

image.pngimage.png

END

Wow Ron thanks for posting that, I don't know why they didin't make a pendant out ot it, it has the hole for a chain all ready to go around the neck, but I guess it would of been awkward for them trying to walk around with the chain around both of their necks!! :ROFL:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2