Nugget Shooter Forums

To me the pictures look more like a malachite, or some other type of copper ore.  I find ore that looks like that in Wickenburg, I got excited thinking it was turquoise, but nope.  TUrquoise is found locally to me.

Are you in the USA or the PI?

On 9/21/2017 at 7:27 PM, onamission12000 said:

it's much bluer than the pic shows and the blue is thru and thru......found it on the side of a hill, no mine anywhere nearby

If it's a darker blue, it could be chrysocolla. I've seen a lot of it in Arizona. 

If it's southern Arizona, I would bet copper ore. There is turquoise in Southern AZ.  I can't say for sure how to identify turquoise, but I do believe it is much harder and bluer than the green / blue copper ore I found.

The Bisbee mine in AZ would find chunks of turquoise in the ore, and when they did they shipped it to a different part of the mine.  Once a year, the mine opens the turquoise dump to the public, for a fee.  I think you catch a bus from the center of town.  Earlier this year, the tour was at the end of winter/beginning of summer.  Some years they don't do it.

I've seen seen similar colored turquoise from the Gleeson area of the Dragoons. But its always been solid chunks and not a film. You may have found some copper staining from a copper ore body. If your in southern az checkout the northern slope of turquoise mountain. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, fishing8046 said:

Turquoise is cool but it really isn't worth much. 

I've seen some varieties of turquoise go for over $100.00 an ounce. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Morlock said:

I've seen some varieties of turquoise go for over $100.00 an ounce. 

Do they buy/sell turquoise by the ounce when it's raw ore then by the karat when made into a gem stone?

Turquoise rough is sold either by the ounce or by the pound. In most cases, unset turquoise cabochons are sold by the carat. $100.00 or more per ounce is  on the high side for rough.

Most lapidary grade natural turquoise ranges from $20.00 oz to $60.00 oz. That's a general range. Some may sell for more or less. Depends on the quality, demand,etc.

There is also chalk turquoise which is fairly soft as it's name implies. They put this rough in containers with epoxies or hardeners to make what the trade calls "stabilized turquoise". Most of what turquoise jewelry you see these days use stabilized turquoise cabochons.

I estimate only 5 to 10 percent of the turquoise is natural turquoise. The rest is stabilized. Stabilized turquoise is much more common and therefore... much cheaper.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

I won't hazard a guess, but if you can trace it back to the vein a whole lot more.  I'm guessing the vein is close with the sharp edges on some of them.

• Like 1

Nice Finds!. The green ones are common copper minerals. The solid blue ones might be turquoise. Are they heavy and glossy or is the stone light and sort of porous (tongue test)?

Value wise? Maybe $30 tops for the blue ones to a jeweler if they are good solid Turquoise and they can claim they are from Turquoise mountain area.

The Herget (Turquoise Mountain) mine is active again and Anglo American is heavily claimed up there even on the Side Hill area. It looks like parts of the old dumps to the north that aren't private land are still open for prospecting.  Your material looks like it came from that area.

Sometimes you can find rather large intact Azurite clusters on those dumps that have collector value. There is probably more money to be made in good copper mineral specimens in that area than quality Turquoise values. Keep hunting I've found some nice minerals there.

Edited by clay
  • Like 2

Clay I like the tongue test and the tooth tap test.  so you can not only skip those mineral supplement capsules it will tell you whether its been stabilized.
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

While most people think of turqouise as being blue, actually it comes in a variety of colors depending on the other trace elements like iron, zinc,etc.

http://geology.com/minerals/turquoise.shtml

I've seen turquoise range from light blues to greenish blues to medium blues to dark blues to almost green. Just a really wide variety of colors. This chart below illustrates some of them.

https://www.durangosilver.com/turquoise-colors.html

Another website with a variety of turqouise.

http://nevadagem.com/index.html

I'm going with a More then Possible Yes.  The host rock with it looks like the turquoise taken from the Hatchet Mtns here in New Mexico

• Like 1

Back when I was building my SE AZ copper collection I dug a dump on open ground in the vicinity of Turquoise hill looking for some nice Azurite. I hit a small layer of turquoise in the dump unexpectedly. Attached is a pic. The copper deposits in the area are somewhat similar to Bisbee as in it creates solution cavities or caves in the limestone. When you see cracks, ocotillo patches , and other karst features in the limestone you know its money down below. Another similarity to Bisbee is the gold runs in hematite but is usually pretty small. I used to have access to a ranch before it was sold and killed it drywashing out there. 

Desert Magazine has some cool stories and useful maps and in the link is some history to the Turquoise hill area.http://swdeserts.com/index_htm_files/194702-DesertMagazine-1947-February.pdf Lots of bedrock mortars can be found in the area and if you look in the right spots you can see where the Indians mined. Its not uncommon to find carved turquoise in the flats. The area is mostly claimed so do your research before venturing out. 

O/T Ive done the Bisbee turquoise hunts a few times but was always disappointed with the lack of turquoise found by everyone. My last trip out I just focused on other minerals and found some nice turgite. So far the best Bisbee turquoise Ive found has been on Fort Huachuca. Turns out they used fill out of the Bisbee dumps to build up the runway and ramp areas at Libby AAF. So when I showed the turquoise to some co workers a small turquoise rush happened. 

20170923_154223.jpg

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 3

Southern Arizona in the wash below an old area.

To me, the coolest thing is that they have been tumbled. When my daughter was younger we would take a small bucket and walk the wash and fill them up. The person who got the best piece of azurite was the winner. She always won because even if she didn't find it, it went in her collection.