Nugget Shooter Forums

Found a cool photo...

Nugget Shooter

Thats a handful of gold! Wish you would have taken pictures :)
Tom H.

Very Nice Bill.
You are robbing the cradle with those young-uns.:thumbsupanim

Nice pile of gold.
AzNuggetBob

Bill Did you find the vein? That gold looks very young.If those nuggets from that spot get any coarser, your going to have to take up hard rocking as a side job.
AzNuggetBob

11 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Bill Did you find the vein? That gold looks very young.If those nuggets from that spot get any coarser, your going to have to take up hard rocking as a side job.
AzNuggetBob

Yep Bob I did actually find a stringer out there above the wash those came out of and many were in a huge crack in the bedrock running into the bank. I took a total of 2.3 Troy Pounds from that wash and surrounding hills over the last ten years and always score a few when I go back with new technology. Funny thing was when I found the stringer it was more epidermal looking gold in a red decomposed material and though very pretty gold it was very fragile and one big nugget broke into pieces in the jar driving the 12 bumpy miles out of there :tisk-tisk:Took another 4 ounces out of that vein above. The old timers had dug several trenches in the area for these stringers or pockets as well. Best part was there is no listed placer production from this spot and I was told a story by a construction worker also a sheep hunter about it. His grandfather would drywash while they hunted sheep when he was a kid and his granddad always went home with a baby food jar of gold from that area. Have a trip planned this fall with the GPZ 7000 and GM 1000 to see what is still lurking in the deep ground and shallow trashy areas.... :inocent:

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Not yours :rasberry:

Yes, you are right.  At the time this picture was taken I had never swung a detector in the desert.  I had only seen Quartzsite from the Interstate.

My first swing was in 2010!

Good gold ... I wish I had taken my White's CoinMaster out in the desert in 86 ... oh wait I did ... I found a trash dump near Edwards Air Force base but didn't know where the goldfields were.  Then I gave it up for 25 years in the desert.  I could have had some big nuggets ...

Edited by mn90403

Man those were days of plenty the late 1980s to early 2000s and I was able to purchase most of the property I own with gold I found. Sold a bunch again when the price went way up some years back and these days sell most of what I find unless something real special. Should have stayed with it Mitchel.....

• Like 1

On 9/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, Bill Southern said:

Yep Bob I did actually find a stringer out there above the wash those came out of and many were in a huge crack in the bedrock running into the bank. I took a total of 2.3 Troy Pounds from that wash and surrounding hills over the last ten years and always score a few when I go back with new technology. Funny thing was when I found the stringer it was more epidermal looking gold in a red decomposed material and though very pretty gold it was very fragile and one big nugget broke into pieces in the jar driving the 12 bumpy miles out of there :tisk-tisk:Took another 4 ounces out of that vein above. The old timers had dug several trenches in the area for these stringers or pockets as well. Best part was there is no listed placer production from this spot and I was told a story by a construction worker also a sheep hunter about it. His grandfather would drywash while they hunted sheep when he was a kid and his granddad always went home with a baby food jar of gold from that area. Have a trip planned this fall with the GPZ 7000 and GM 1000 to see what is still lurking in the deep ground and shallow trashy areas.... :inocent:

Very nice Bill
For me the hunt to find the source is just half the fun.Looking at your results and others, Its amazing what you can get started with just a metal detector. :thumbsupanim
AzNuggetBob

• Like 2

Now going off a few clues of some old timer stories to find that .... is priceless.   THAT is why I hunt for gold.  Because that stuff of stories is still out there waiting to be found.  Thanks for sharing in the details, Bill!  :goodpost:

• Thanks 1