Nugget Shooter Forums

Still Searching

Rebel73153

In my ongoing Quest for that First Elusive nugget i took the TDI SL with a Miner John 5"x9" coil and went to a local gold producing river today. Sorry to say still No Nugget but i got enough fishing lead to cast a few bullets. Some of these were Really small split shot and bird shot so i know i am doing something right. Just got to find a piece of Yellow stuff to put the coil over.

IM002808.JPG

• Like 2

Took me a year..... yep.... Darn thing was in my own drywash pile at the end of the day. I would detect and find the normal crap and give up and go drywash. Read Jim Straight's Nugget Shooters Bible so I always checked my own tailing pile and BAM right on top at the end of the day, about 2 grams and slid right into the header pile. That was in 1993 and never looked back, then I found Minelab. :cowboypistol:

• Like 2

I took a friend out for a couple days in central Nevada to some hard rock mines (just got back). He got his first gold specimen with a GB2 within a couple hours, several more afterward and some more really nice ones today. Getting the right training and being in the right place makes all the difference. Bill supplies the right training to those who buy their detectors from him.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Reno Chris said:

Getting the right training and being in the right place makes all the difference. Bill supplies the right training to those who buy their detectors from him.

Getting the right training is the easy part.. Finding the right place is infinitely more difficult. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Morlock said:

Finding the right place is infinitely more difficult. 

2 hours ago, Rebel73153 said:

and definitely the "Right Place"

Gold is rare stuff, which is why its so valuable. That's the hard part of learning to be a prospector and find gold - there is just not that much of it out there. Your detector is a great tool, and tells you when you are over gold, but you have to find that gold. No detector can find gold if it isn't there to begin with. So you as the prospector have to find that rare yellow metal, and your detector will signal you when you get there. Prospecting is very definitely a skill that is learned and it takes time. Sure there is a luck factor, but I'd rather count on knowledge, skill and experience - they are a lot more reliable than plain dumb luck.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 3

Gold is rare stuff, which is why its so valuable. That's the hard part of learning to be a prospector and find gold - there is just not that much of it out there. Your detector is a great tool, and tells you when you are over gold, but you have to find that gold. No detector can find gold if it isn't there to begin with. So you as the prospector have to find that rare yellow metal, and your detector will signal you when you get there. Prospecting is very definitely a skill that is learned and it takes time. Sure there is a luck factor, but I'd rather count on knowledge, skill and experience - they are a lot more reliable than plain dumb luck.

What is that saying... "Luck favors the prepared mind" .... I'd say yeah it does.

• Like 1

Rebel,

What has worked for me is hitting the books and finding areas that have historically had nugget gold. Most streams run fine gold and if you can one that has a history of nugget gold your chances increase. Take a look at old usgs bulletins and you should be able to find what your looking for. Another thing that has worked for me is to work the edges of a known deposit, some times you can find a overlooked pocket.

DP

Edited by Desertpilot
  • Like 2

Hey Chris Im sure youve heard the story of the tongue nugget  found around rich hill by a couple from Colorado  who  had never swung a beeper before :head: If that wasnt pure dumb luck then what was it ? :arrowheadsmiley: Theres plenty of stories floating around just like that - So I agree not to agree with you :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

The tongue nugget opened up a patch that produced many ounces of gold...The tongue nugget was in a big old tailing pile out off Angel's Road...Cheers, Unc

Edited by Uncle Ron
  • Like 2

If prospecting was all or nearly all nothing but luck, then inexperienced new guys would be just as productive as guys with decades of experience, and as you well know it just aint that way. On any one day, who knows what will happen and the newbie might well do better than the experienced guy, but over the long haul the guys who know what they are doing will do much, much better.

For every story of some new guy who made a great find, I can tell you 10 stories (or maybe 100) of guys who had no idea what they were doing, went out expecting to get loads of gold and come home with nothing or nearly nothing. I've been eyewitness to a good number of them. No one even bothers to remember stories of new guys who fail because that's what happens 99.9% of the time.  I also know of a number of stories where the newby who has success on his first time out then spends years trying to repeat his success and finds a whole lot of nothing.

Yep, luck is a thing and once in a while it strikes like a lightening bolt and the new guy ends up finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow, but most of the time the pot at the end of the rainbow is just an old outhouse. Luck is great and be thankful when you end up with luck smiling on you, but knowledge, skill and experience are helpful a lot more often.

Fun to pick this kind of thing off an old mine dump - wiry, silver rich electrum gold - the gold comes out the back side of the specimen, so it goes clear through. You know the old miners didn't intend to throw this stuff away.

electrum.jpg

• Like 8

Well said Chris :D you are correct about how the  failures way  out number the success rate :arrowheadsmiley: but I still count on luck with a little intuition mixed in-you can be in a great area but unless you swing over it -it does no good and Thus :detecting: Mike C...:200:PS-Nice specie

Edited by Mike C...

Thanks for the input everyone. I had a GBII but it was really hard to keep balanced with ground minerals we have. And All the Hot Rocks we have around here gave me fits. The TDI ignores most of that.

If I were you I'd get a witness nugget(1/2 gram) glued to a poker chip and use to make sure your properly tuned and running right by dropping and kicking some dirt over it. You are also then trained to the sound of gold which is easy to miss with many units and the untrained ear. Never underestimate beginners luck as I've seen it plenty of times also. There are many electrical microwaves and such that can wreak havoc along with massive solar flares etc etc.John

• Like 3

On 9/16/2017 at 10:24 PM, Reno Chris said:

. Bill supplies the right training to those who buy their detectors from him.

Just saying ... Bill and I will give instructions to anyone with a detector who wants to learn how best to make it sing gold! ... Yes we give those who purchase from us a freebee but for those who may have purchased elsewhere and didn't get any or enough instruction we can help for a small hourly fee ... just call Nugget Shooter 623.910.0345 to set up an appointment that fits your timeline ... we concentrate on Minelab but can and will help you with others as well. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2017 at 1:01 PM, fredmason said:

Yeah, I have plenty of plain dumb..

luck is way harder to get...

As Mike C probably knows luck increases with the right skills, knowledge and location..

fred

You never said that to me Fred.  :cry2: