Nugget Shooter Forums

Lynx Creek

JOHNM

WOW, nice pieces GDM/DV.  You guys with the metal detectors have an easier time finding gold.  One of these days I'm going to buy a metal detector (maybe I should learn to read the rivers and washes better before I buy a detector? :idunno:).  Here's what I found in 54 hours of hunting by reading the creek.  It's not a whole lot compared to you pros but it's the best I've done as a newbie.  Thank you Bill Southern for your advice on looking in bedrock cracks.  Most of this gold was found in cracks.

001.JPG

• Like 6

Good Job when I use to pan at Lynx creek I did the best under the old tailing piles up above the creek-I would work the bed rock and pan it out-:4chsmu1: Mike C...:200: PS Finding gold with a metal detector is harder than it looks but its been the most productive way for me to find gold :head:

• Like 1

Very nice gold!
Keep cracking/sniping that bedrock in that area.

Nice!
Tom H.

Yes indeed follow those cracks up into the banks etc and one day ya may nail a real nice one. Yes learn all you can about gold and how it travels and settles in and out of water with erosion. The knowledge will for sure come in handy when you get a detector.... Nice gold.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, JOHNM said:

WOW, nice pieces GDM/DV.  You guys with the metal detectors have an easier time finding gold.  One of these days I'm going to buy a metal detector (maybe I should learn to read the rivers and washes better before I buy a detector? :idunno:).  Here's what I found in 54 hours of hunting by reading the creek.  It's not a whole lot compared to you pros but it's the best I've done as a newbie.  Thank you Bill Southern for your advice on looking in bedrock cracks.  Most of this gold was found in cracks.

001.JPG

Hello JOHNM,

Nice looking gold for your initial efforts scraping bedrock.  But based on your above statement, don't think that finding gold with a metal detector is so much "easier" than finding it with any other methods, as it really is not; (there remains many out there with metal detectors that are still endeavoring to find their first nugget).  Just as Bill Southern has stated in a few of his posts:  "it isn't the metal detector that actually finds the gold.  The detector is just another tool at our disposal, no different than a gold pan, dry washer, sluice, etc. 

It's the one who analyses  an area-situation; who gathers relevant information, and then uses this information along-with their knowledge and insight from past examples as to where gold could be, should be, ... and then where it "IS" (based on variable factors that determine just where gold will settle) that will determine the SUCCESS, or SKUNKSVILLE outcome of any endeavor.  And, I don't think that there is anyone out there who swings a detector (including myself) who can definitively say that "every search is a success, nor that they have never been Skunked out there!!  With each hunt just look at it as a  game,... a challenge with mother nature and the forces of water flow, gravity, erosion, gradient, obstacles, etc.  They all play an important part.  When you get these factors figured out, it won't make any difference just "WHAT"prospecting Tool (or combination of tools) you decide to utilize in an area, Success will come from your Brain-Power-Tool. :old:GOOD LUCK,   Gary        

• Like 5