Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold , and a Gun

adam

Was out hitting some remote stuff today. Beeped up a tiny piece of gold, :yesss:  then came across this half buried rifle . That was not all but , its just been a weird day  :idunno:

The rifle was clearly wrapped in a cloth , they even stuffed cloth down the front of the barrel.  

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0462.JPG

IMG_0466.JPG

• Like 10

Perhaps you found the murder weapon....  :cowboypistol:

Nice gold.  Some is better than none.

:D

Luke

Now that is a cool find!!!! the gold also :)
WTG!!!!

Im sure someone here is going to ID that rifle.

Tom H.

Edited by TomH

1 minute ago, Dakota Slim said:

No bank bags, saddlebags, bodies or skeletal remains? 

I cant get over it being wrapped in a cloth. If your a crook, why bother ?  I think someone wrapped it to protect it. Was it burried with someone?  unlikely, but.........

Wow, that's one of the coolest finds any forum member has ever posted....WTG Adam...Please keep us posted on what you learn about it and its possible history!!! Oh, nice nuggie too! ... Cheers, Unc

Anyone have any idea what type of rifle this could be?  How about the barrel,any guess on the size like shotgun, BB, 22?  I didn't see a magazine well.

I want to say it may not fall under the antiquities act because parts of it are still shiny, but there is not a scrap of the stock left on it, so it may have rotted away from time or just gotten broken free by getting banged up.  Interesting how the creek tossed it into the crevice of a rock.

Im guessing some kind of a repeating rifle. I have a friend that is really into old guns..will mail him a pic of it...

Tom

So............I just sent him the pics and he looked at them. Hes stumped. He said it was a bolt action by looking at the receiver set up.

Whatever it is, it is really old also.

Told me to tell you to call this guy. Tell him you found a really old rifle and was wondering if he could look at it.....that will get him going :)

Classic Barrel & Gunworks

339 Grove Ave. Prescott, AZ  86301

Mon.-Friday

Phone (928) 772-4060

Dan Pedersen (owner)

Have fun!
Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, chrisski said:

Anyone have any idea what type of rifle this could be?  How about the barrel,any guess on the size like shotgun, BB, 22?  I didn't see a magazine well.

I want to say it may not fall under the antiquities act because parts of it are still shiny, but there is not a scrap of the stock left on it, so it may have rotted away from time or just gotten broken free by getting banged up.  Interesting how the creek tossed it into the crevice of a rock.

Well people,

There is not much to say about the rifle , other than it being very weathered. No writing would be visible at this stage of rust. The shiny areas are where it was exposed to running water/sand , and that likely polished those faces. 

The overall length of the assembly is 26-1/4  inches.  There appears to be a joint ? where the barrel meets the action assembly. If that is the case , then the barrel length would be  18-3/8 inches.

The inside diameter at the end of the barrel is 15mm . It seems to be a quite large caliber. 

Its to bad the bolt assembly and everything else is missing.  The trigger seems to be the item that may identify the riffle ? 

At first my friend said it was some kind of a foreign gun. The way the trigger assy sits down so low also stumped him. Hes sending the pics to some other buddies of his.

We will get this figured out!
He also said, to a gun collector it might be worth something.

Tom

I'd have to guess that the gun was wrapped because it was buried in sand and the person who buried it wanted to protect it and planned to come back for it. Why not just carry it? Maybe the person who buried it murdered the original owner after he showed him where the gold was coming from.    

Are there any deep mine shafts in that area Adam?

Edited by Dakota Slim