Nugget Shooter Forums

HAVE YA EVER HAD A "GUT" FEELING,..and????

LowPoint

I had been to a-certain-spot" on Lynx Creek:200: last week and had found three corn-flake-size nuggets (first photo) that had been (individually) encased in very thick clay, that where completely indistinguishable visually.  The three had been lodged underneath about a 3 lb very scream'n hot rock, which, was also down about 18" on the side of a bedrock shelf.  The heat had run me out of the area after finding these nuggets( about 9:30 am), but I had this uneasy feeling that there was more if I started working upstream a bit.  It was one of those "Gut" feelings that comes on after my mind starts analyzing where gold should be, ...why it should be there, ...picturing where the wash once flowed and where it now flows,...  trying to picture where the bedrock is, based-on the surface indicators that I could visibly see,... and Why in the hell is that sand bar there, and what is underneath it???  Disturbing questions like those kept me awake part of the night before.  So I hit the spot yesterday morning about 7:30am (when it was just 76 deg. and 17% humidity).  and was out of there by 10 (80-something and 28% humidity,...again TOO HOT FOR ME).  I started digging upstream about 2 ft. from where I had left off and cleared an open area about 3ft x 4ft removing 18" or so of hard packed rocks dirt, etc. down to the bedrock shelf.  I no more than turned my detector on and put the coil down toward the first spot and I got a very loud and clear strong signal.  So started digging, and digging, and digging.  By the time that I finally got to the nugget I figured out that it was laying "deep" (about 6" deeper below bedrock level) in a hole in the bedrock, and I had "somehow" dug in exactly the right spot to get to it.  This nugget was also completely encased in very thick clay, which you could not visibly see,...... but my coil definitely picked it up.  [On a Personal-level], I don't think that there is a detector, nor detector and coil combination on the market that would have picked up a signal from this nugget, based on the rocks, boulders, hard packed, etc.  Sometimes ( in my case most usually) you just have to rely on your own experience, know-how, "gut feelings", and physically-dig-down-to-get-to-it approach to walk away with Gold.  The slight-blur on the one face of the nugget is very small grains of sand embedded within the gold, as well as open cavities where other sand grains and possibly magnetite had been embedded at one time.   

"WARNING, THIS METHOD IS NOT ADVISABLE FOR EVERYONE"  :ROFL:Gary 

005.JPG

100_2700.JPG

100_2701.JPG

• Like 5

"TRUE-DAT-BILL",  and Mike,.....I guess different-strokes for different-folks.  Digging this way usually lays me up for about a day, or at least until my "mind" try's to convince my body that it can still-do what it used to do all day long (which it can't).  My body is saying: what are you talking about???  you want me to do What???  Are you Nuts????:ROFL: 

• Haha 6

What you did / have done actually makes a great deal of sense in locations noted for plentiful gold in the past and worked for decades with good results due to the fact.. One can equate your methodology to a "mini push" of sorts..

If your gut plus studied eye puts you on gold it's been a good day..

If you come away with nothing you've done a lot of work for nothing, some might say.. I would say: seemingly..

Given your studious methodology, plus what's known about that location's propensity for giving up golden gifts, I'd say the odds are in your favor for scoring more often than not..

Sure, it's a lot of work.. But there isn't much about going after gold in any manner that doesn't require additional effort.. If one stops to think about things, it makes more sense expending energy removing overburden to get to where gold should be than it does walking around swinging a detector over similar ground in hopes of getting a coil over a piece previously missed when in reality the gold that is there is beyond a detector's reach the way things presently sit..

Nice gold, Gary.. :yesss:

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

Yes! Nice nugget!
You do have a talent for figuring out washes :)
Never had a gut feeling.......but, ive walked past a couple of small washes on the way back to the truck, get about 30 feet farther and say, "I really aught to hit that"

Have been rewarded very nicely for doing this more than once :yesss:

Great nugget........3 or 4 grams?

Tom

• Like 1

First time I got that gut feeling I was going down a wash where I found my first nugget.  And then I knew unicorns really *DO* exist.  I mean gold.  Gold exists.  Still looking for unicorns.  But I definitely felt like I found something almost as elusive.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, TomH said:

Yes! Nice nugget!
You do have a talent for figuring out washes :)
Never had a gut feeling.......but, ive walked past a couple of small washes on the way back to the truck, get about 30 feet farther and say, "I really aught to hit that"

Have been rewarded very nicely for doing this more than once :yesss:

Great nugget........3 or 4 grams?

Tom

Tom, I do believe that would be called a "gut feeling"!! :brows:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:21 PM, Swampstomper Al said:

Uhhhhhh... :WOW::yikes::th:

:4chsmu1:

Swamp

I "Concur" Swamp,.... What in the @?@@!? is she talking about.  Maybe she has been sniff'n Loco-weed out there in the basin,  or the sun has gotten control of here faculties (loco-in-la-cavasa), as it has a propensity to do there???  

• Haha 1