Nugget Shooter Forums

Was I Making a Death Wish by Stay Out?

Mike Furness

Well I ventured out this morning about 6 AM and got down to the Aquarius Claims(RRPC) near Cleator about 7 ... usually about a 45 minute drive but at that time of morning I need a second cup of coffee so stopped to get one at Circle K. Gear on, temps about 78 per my truck gauge and headed out with Max (Gold sniffing Black Lab and Faithful Companion) after we were both hydrated with a couple bottles of water and one for the pouch for later. Everything was going fine for the first couple hours ... The GM1000 with the 5" DD hockey puck coil was singing along with sensitivity at 8 and all metal ... by now have been convinced that when that  machine says it is ferrous it is ferrous! More than half the dug targets were ferrous and about 35 were lead or brass/copper casings ...AND about 6 number 9 bird shot. Do you know that stuff is so tiny it will find the damdest cracks in the bedrock ... I wondered how it got in. 2 of those signals were so slight in the all metal mode that the gauge didn't move and would only hit in one direction ... hmmm ... so I knew something was there but almost didn't dig. Switch to discrimination Gold Mode and it didn't blank out but only got a single beep more like barely a chirp in only one direction. OK says I ... what have I learned? I learned that the machine knows ferrous from non-ferrous and to TRUST my machine! So I dig through the schist bedrock bit by bit and rechecking to make sure the target is still there. Yep for about 10-12 minutes of frustration it was there and then it wasn't! It had disappeared off the face of the earth ... not in the hole and evidently not in the pile either. OK ... experience says it has to be in the pile somewhere so carefully flatten it out ... swing over and yup ... tiny chirp one direction only! What's up with this I said to myself. If it is out of the whole it should be a solid 2 way target! Well I guess I must have rolled it out of the scoop and down the side of the pile and when I flattened the pile reburied it. Well anyway 4 tiny spoon's full of dirt later I get the signal in the scoop. Removing a little at a time ... painstakingly rechecking the scoop with the coil before discarding what was in my left hand. I get down to a few grains of what appears to be just dirt and the signal is loud and clear. Now I don't see well close up with out my reading glasses which of course were in the truck. So I carefully dropped the remains on y coil and release the non-targets seemingly one grain at a time until my finger moved one and I looked ... how can something that tiny make so much noise? Nope not gold ... I know you were hoping ... but for me it was just as good because it proved to me that this detector when properly set up and drive low and slow will find whatever is there! Oh ... I know ... you wanted to know what i found. I don't know if there is bird shot smaller than #9 shot so I am calling that ... The target was a tiny beat up #9 lead bird shot!

So the purpose of this verbose and long winded post ... which btw I am prone to do when telling a story ... is that the Minelab GM 1000 is an extremely sensitive machine. And for anyone that has one and is wondering how to get the best results from it ... here comes the commercial ... you knew it was coming ... Please give me a call, a PM or email and let me show you how this machine sniffs up the crumbs. Because if you can sniff up the crumbs, the larger nuggets will automatically follow. I do my lessons through Nugget Shooter and Bill is fully aware ... so if you would rather call Bill to set up a lesson on the GM 1000 with me that's OK ... Just let him know I told you the story above and asked you to call. He'll take it from there.

Oh ... And the death wish I used in the title ... I hunted until 11 AM ... out of water about a half hour ago, sweating profusely, slight headache starting and no gold yet for the day ... I wanted that one little piece of gold for my efforts and I wasn't leaving without it ... went back to the truck for more water knowing full well I could not stay out any longer without it. Got my water and started the truck ... big mistake ... I looked at the temperature readout for the outside air temp ...98 DEGREES! Bad mistake should never have looked. I quit right then and there ... That is the hottest temperature I have ever detected in!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Well, srry you didnt score any gold. It is a good machine.

Today was especially bad with high humidity.  Swamp cooler could only pull the shop down 5 deg cooler than the outside temp :2mo5pow:

At least that A/C felt good on the way home!
Tom

• Like 3

Ha great story and yep I was thinking ya was gonna show a nugget..... :knight-horse: I am going out at 4:00 am tomorrow to try for a nugget or two if the desert is in the mood to share. Like sitting in the buggy watching the light come over the mountain and out at first light hunting....

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Mike Furness said:

Well I ventured out p ...98 DEGREES! Bad mistake should never have looked. I quit right then and there ... That is the hottest temperature I have ever detected in!

:Just_Cuz_06: In  the spirit of Pegleg Smith's memory, I found no gold, either,  just Argentine ants, 4.75 gallons of  ultra  white Henry's elastomeric roof paint( the 4th bucket, so far), charcoal mixed in  with my suntan lotion and 106 degrees Farenheit.

In your defense, the breeze did kick up a little, I found no bird or snake shot, and the roof paint cost me a  Benjamin a bucket.

:2mo5pow:To top it off, the wife forced my to buy popsicles  when I went shopping.

Edited by weaver hillbille
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Mike C... said:

Ill let you know when I need some lessons finding bird shot :4chsmu1:Mike C...:200:

Mike C ... One thing for sure I can always expect a smart ass response from you! :yesss: All in good fun! :thumbsupanim

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Furness said:

Mike C ... One thing for sure I can always expect a smart ass response from you! :yesss: All in good fun! :thumbsupanim

Hi Mike I couldnt refuse :brows:You need to advertise for lessons when you can show some gold :4chsmu1:-thats like advertising for a fishing trip and not showing any fishies :ROFL:Heck I have no problem finding lead its the gold that hides from me :idunno: Im sure your a good teacher but the proof is in the pudding :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 10:45 PM, weaver hillbille said:

...just Argentine ants...

Those Argentine ants are opportunistic li'l PITA.. Don't try to nuke them cos ya never get the nest, then they just scatter n make even more colonies.. The best way I've found to control them is Terro liquid in the little bottles.. A drop or two near a path will do it.. Takes a while to work though, and it's tough keeping yourself from nuking 'em, but don't.. They're there 'til one day they're not.. Problem solved, kinda.. Gotta keep a PM program going or they'll eventually be back since you aren't ridding the planet of them, just knocking 'em back from your space.. A drop a month near an entrance point is all it takes..

Swamp