Nugget Shooter Forums

Minelab Has A Engineer On The Way From Australia

Ridge Runner

I called in to Minelab yesterday on a local number and got a call back today. I was told that a Engineer from Australia was coming in to check out the trouble first hand. I was given a return number and now waiting on a shipping label at Minelab's cost.

I'm sure they hope the trouble can be isolated and be a easy fix. I'm all for the easy fix.

I know this is not telling you much but we do know that Minelab has their people on the trouble.

Chuck 

• Like 5

Hi Mike

I guess I should have said something it was about the GM 1000 but that's what all the talk has been on.

I had big time trouble with my Gm 1000 in Colorado. The falsing was so bad on both coils any setting you set it at didn't help. When you would swing the coil in the direction the coil wire was on you got nothing but falsing. The odd thing on the swing back in the other direction it was great. Even a single blade of green grass or dry you got nothing but falsing. I first started in rocky ground but with the rocks and the grass was just more than the GM could handle. When I moved to a open area it was all the same without the rocks.

At home in San Antonio the soil is mild but it will run lots better. I had done some panning with lots of black sand I'd dump in one spot in my yard  and you can tell it acts up a little when I swing over it.

I had another detector with me but my Dr. had given me some new meds and I was having trouble. So I just pickup and came home in disgust.

Chuck. 

• Like 1

Hi Chuck wow it sounds like you may have more than just coil problems going on-I hope they get it figured out for you-Thanks for the heads up that at least minelab is looking into it now-Im sure they'll make it right :thumbsupanim Mike C...:200:

Mike

My thinking on your fix is we shouldn't have to do that. That coil wire is solid as a rock with the cover they have over it. I just can't see that it would be any movement at that point. Like I said on my above post talking about a single blade of grass causing falsing. You know that one blade of grass shouldn't have any effect on a coil.

Well if they can't fix it I want the cost of the GM 1000 go on a 7000. i'd say that will get me the shaft of the 7000 and all I got to do is come up with the other to pay it off. ( this is a early April Fools joke )

Chuck

If it goes off on a blade of grass that sounds like a shielding problem with the coils and your right we shouldnt have to deal with that:idunno:-Ya as far as the 7000 is concerned I think  I got the bases covered with my 5000-2300 -GM and XT18000:4chsmu1:--I still think the GM is a very Hotttttttt little beeper-Butttt I wish we had the options to adjust the tone-Threshold and be able to turn off the auto ground balance-Oh well maybe the GM 1100 will have those options:head:-Please keep us updated on your progress with minelab-Mike C...:200:

Mike

You made a statement saying you wish you could turn off the auto ground balance. But now say the auto ground balance is not turning on for some but a little for others. I could see this would be a big problem like what I had in Colorado. Back home it's no big deal because the ground is mild like I said.

Put on your thinking cap and let me know what your thinking is about what I said.

Chuck

I had not heard anything about any ground balancing issues with the GM and that could also be your problem-As far as my comment-I would like to have the same ground balancing option on the GM as other beepers have where I can choose to hunt with auto or balance it and put it into fixed-what would be even better is if I could set the balance a little on the positive side and run a little hotter just like the GMT has :head: Mike C...:head:

There have not been any issues with the Auto GB on the 1000 I know, just a few bad coils....

Mike,  the GM 1000 will run hotter in 3/4 sensitivity then it does in full auto though ya got to slow down some, ya prolly figured that out though.

The Gold Monster was designed to be a turn on and go detector with full auto settings except for Sensitivity and volume that will discriminate and still hear the smallest of gold nuggets and it does this quite well, and better than most if not all VLF gold detectors on the market. This detector kicks butt simple as that

Heck if ya want settings like on a manually adjusting detector use one that is designed for that purpose in areas you think it would be a benefit.  All of these things were taken into consideration when this detector was designed and we now have the final product. No detector will do everything and the very reason most "pros" own several detectors PI, ZVT, or VLF, it to fill in where needed.

The cool thing about the GM 1000 is there are already countless stories and feedback of folks finally understanding how to use a gold detector and finding their first nuggets with it. This is the niche Minelab was seeking to fill and they have done it nicely. A simple to use detector that WORKS.....

This is one great VLF that has now allowed those that could not understand all the settings on other machines to be able to get out and find some gold. I fully understand that there are some coils showing up with issues and could even be a detector bad, but I have seen this happen with ALL BRANDS and Minelab has already stated they will make it right and is doing so for those sending theirs in to the service center when bad.  Heck I remember when we were all having the same falsing issue years back with the GB2 a fix done with a small section of PVC was the answer to a small sensitive coil seeing it's own wire move. I am guessing if a bad microprocessor was in a batch that would be a disabling issue as well.....

The settings that are not adjustable were made that way for a reason and for folks wanting a simple to use badazz  beeper that has reliable discrimination to boot....

I have trusted Minelab for many years and they will get any bugs ironed out for us all :yesss:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Bill I understand what the GM was for and it is a good VLF Buttttttttttttttttt whats wrong with wanting more features that could enhance it even more :idunno: I forgot another feature Id like as well and that would be a Vsat control like the whites have and they could call it the GM pro :head: Geeze Bill Chill out already I can at least wish alittle :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200: PS-I forgot one more thing make it wireless :head:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah and who knows? You know how Minelab is and they are likely already thinking along those lines with the new technology they are now employing in their VLF detectors and ZVT. There are some things coming down the pipe that are still hush hush and a ways out yet, but watch the forum around September 16th for another product announcement from Minelab though it will most likely be for the coin/relic hunters, but gonna be really something...... Man I wish I was 20 years younger as things are now changing very fast and perhaps gold only discrimination technology is in our future one day :D With my luck I'll be too old to swing anymore or dig :ROFL:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

With my luck I'll be too old to swing anymore or dig :ROFL:

C'mon Bro, think positive.  I'm still not to the bottom of my dirt pile.  :Diggin_a_hole:

Old Tom

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Yeah and who knows? You know how Minelab is and they are likely already thinking along those lines with the new technology they are now employing in their VLF detectors and ZVT. There are some things coming down the pipe that are still hush hush and a ways out yet, but watch the forum around September 16th for another product announcement from Minelab though it will most likely be for the coin/relic hunters, but gonna be really something...... Man I wish I was 20 years younger as things are now changing very fast and perhaps gold only discrimination technology is in our future one day :D With my luck I'll be too old to swing anymore or dig :ROFL:

Bill don't worry by the time they come up with a gold only detector it will swing itself, dig the gold and us old guys will only have to move along with the detector with our 4X4 walkers or Hoverounds then hold out our hand for the detector to drop the gold in our hand!! :brows:

I already have my 4X4 walker test driven and ready to go!! :olddude:

New4Wheeler.jpg

• Haha 6