Nugget Shooter Forums

Old Topo Maps

Morlock

A lot of people here use topo maps issued by the USGS. Every few years they revise or update them. Is there a source for the really old  topo maps? 40's 50's 60's or even older. Seems like you'll find more useful information on the old maps then the new ones they put out..

• Like 1

Finding free ones seems difficult at best, but here are some I found....

https://nationalmap.gov/historical/

http://www.mapsofantiquity.com/store/Antique_Geological_&_Topographical_Maps/inventory.pl?category=704#.WaX3PyiGPDc

https://www.mapsofthepast.com/topographic-maps.html

Sometimes local libraries or mining and mineral museums will also have them....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The historical topos do have more information than the new topos.

More than 300,000 historical topos and Shoreline Surveys are available for download directly from a map click.

Go to the Topo Map Download page on Land Matters.

• Click on the map title "Topo Search Map" in the right menu.
  • When the map opens up zoom to your area of interest click on the map layer "USGS All Topo Search" click on the tool and click in the area you want to get the historical topos for. A window will pop up with all the different resolutions of topo available.
  • Choose the 2400 one for your best resolution and click the link on that line. ALL the 2400 resolution historical topos for your clicked area will be listed along with their date and a download link.

There is a lot more available on that map. Poke around and I'm sure you will find what you are looking for. Check out the Forest Service topo maps too they are different than the USGS topos. Modern multi layer PDF topos with aerial photos are available and anyone that does beach detecting should definitely look over the many high resolution Historical shoreline Survey maps. I'm pretty sure every topo map available for download is on that map.

And they are all free.

Edited by clay
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Try civil engineering firms. They are getting rid of the paper stuff and going all digital. On line stuff. I got all my civil firms quads. Shows all old mining sights and roads to them as well. Go to old companies that have been around since at least the 50s. Don't hurt to ask.

• Like 2

Odler maps are not as accurate as to locations of sections . As technology has advanced lines have moved , some by quite a bit and adjustments have been made to compensate for much newer more accurate mapping technology. I always include map year on new claims so as to be accurate as possible. Much detail has been removed from newer ones. Our local FS HAD(closed now) the best newest(better than USGS) maps for many years but nevermore as budget cuts killed the program and all this amazing technology now sits and rots. John

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hoser John said:

Much detail has been removed from newer ones. Our local FS HAD(closed now) the best newest(better than USGS) maps for many years but nevermore as budget cuts killed the program and all this amazing technology now sits and rots. John

That's the whole purpose of trying to find old topo maps of mining districts and surrounding areas. There's much more information on them imho.

• Like 3

Yep, if you can ever get your hands on the old ones they just about show every rabbit hole.  The new ones exclude a ton of stuff.  Some don't even show you water tanks or wind mills any more.  

• Like 1