Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
metwerks

Slag or possible meteorite

Hey Metworks, for $20 you can have a real lab test your suspects. Look up New England Met. lab and you will find the info needed. Good luck, l love me some mesosiderite!:4chsmu1:

The metallic sheen doesn't look like anything I've seen in fusion crust, but I don't know if that's just a result of the picture.  Iron oxide coatings do have that sheen, though.  Hopefully you can get someone to look at these in person as well as a good XRF analysis, where are you located?

I don't think the crust / coating has much sheen, maybe just the led lights on my pocket microscope. I live near Milwaukee.

Here is a microscope view showing a 1/8" area iron torn in the middle and filled with rock and larger area etched

Image1642.jpg

Also etched area

_DSC7957.jpg

Edited by metwerks

Metwerks you may want to try a little 50/50 muratic acid (Pool acid)and water on the ground off face with a cue tip. just to see if the metal is crystallized.
AzNuggetBob

You should start see it in a few minutes. you may want to give it an hour or two depends on your water PH. btw when your done throw some baking soda on it and after a few minutes rinse with water. that will stop the reaction and make it safe to handle with bare hands .
AzNuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

Thanks Bob,

the last picture is ferric acid for about 30 seconds, compared to sanded version above. I will give the weaker acid a try to see the difference

Here is about 5 minutes of etching with 50/50 muriatic acid. Field of view is approx 1/2". The first pic has some shiny strings of metal that the acid did not appear to attack as well as the bordering areas surrounding the linear voids. Could these be Schreibersite worms or crystals?

I did find a iron meteorites with similar linear features for what it is worth and posted 2 of them that I found online

_DSC7989raw.jpg

_DSC7968raw.jpg

McCoy.etal.2017-Anoka-meteorite.jpg

Hexaedrite-3-neumann-lines.jpg

Edited by metwerks
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, metwerks said:

Here is about 5 minutes of etching with 50/50 muriatic acid. Field of view is approx 1/2". The first pic has some shiny strings of metal that the acid did not appear to attack as well as the bordering areas surrounding the linear voids. Could these be Schreibersite worms or crystals?

I did find a iron meteorites with similar linear features for what it is worth and posted 2 of them that I found online

_DSC7989raw.jpg

_DSC7968raw.jpg

Wow, as a Minnesotan, the Anoka Iron meteorite picture really intrigues me. Very similar features! I've never seen a rock like this posted on this forum. Good luck with the analysis. You mentioned you're in Milwaukee... Where did you find this rock?

• Like 2

Wasn't there a  pseudometeorite found in Illinois that defied attempts to even tell if it was terrestrial or extraterrestrial? Eventually concluded it was terrestrial but experts were never sure how it was formed. This must have been in the last 10 or 15 years ago. The details are a little fuzzy since it's been awhile.

On 9/10/2017 at 9:47 AM, metwerks said:

_DSC7989raw.jpg

_DSC7968raw.jpg

Metwerks it is a bit of a mystery rock that has been puzzling me for days. that's why I suggested muriatic acid.

AznuggetBob

Edited by AzNuggetBob

@gaustad18 - I found this in U.P. where it is primarily a variety of sandstone out cropings

@morlock - Thanks I will look this up

@AzNuggetBob It has me puzzled too. Mikestang was kind enough to connect me to someone for some help - suggested I get a metallurgist involved to determine metal content. Meanwhile, here are some additional shots showing some kind of super fine crystals in the gaps between the iron. Also couple post etch shots with pocket microscope of linear inclusions.

_DSC8044raw.jpg

_DSC8038raw.jpg

0911_1.jpg

0911-2.jpg

Just a quick update: I sent these pictures to an Emeritus Professor of Geology with specialty in Extraterrestrial Impact Structures. He believes it is a meteorite and has connected me to Geoscience Dept at University Wisconsin - Madison.

A big thanks to all of you and the help you provided. I will report back once I meet with them and hopefully have some good news to report :yesss:

• Like 3

That is already good news and ya followed all the right paths during your investigation with some very talented and educated members..... I love this stuff and can't wait for results.

• Like 4

This is exciting for anyone, let along an amateur like myself. The excitement has prompted me to look at my rock more and more and think I found fusion crust, allbeit heavily weathered.

For now, I will enjoy the high of believing and hopefully don't get shot down_DSC8226raw.jpg_DSC8236raw.jpg

_DSC8240raw.jpg

Edited by metwerks
  • Like 1

UPDATE: I just returned from meeting with meteorite expert at UW-Madison and they believe it is a stony-iron mesosiderite. They have a SIMS lab, but unfortunately it is tied to research and would require a grant to test. They are getting in contact with Phil Heck at The Field Museum in Chicago to get me in for testing.

• Like 6

Very cool news and ya need to find some more of it.....

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see if the analysis confirms the suspicion, keep us posted.

• Like 4

Good to hear Metwerks. I had my suspicions about that rock. but it didn't look like anything I'm used to seeing.
Do you think there may be more in the area where you found it/them?
AzNuggetBob

I sent my samples off to The Field Museum and they are going to perform tests on it (major, minor and trace element analyses with EDS, XRF and ICPMS) on or about Nov 8 with results by end of month

I posted similar pics earlier, but I decided to measure the field of view to provide a scale for pictures. All of these pictures are  2mm from top to bottom and the first 2 pics shows a lot of very fine needle like crystals that I have seen on other meteorites due to high shock. The second shows the metallic inclusion (bottom right) and some of the etched texture (top left)

Keeping my fingers crossed and cant wait for Nov to come.

Image1762.jpg

Image1669.jpg

1008_1.jpg

Edited by metwerks

That's great news. Hoping for the best.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2017 at 8:25 PM, Mikestang said:

Will be interesting to see if the analysis confirms the suspicion, keep us posted.

Do you know of the out come of this story from a year ago? 

On 10/8/2017 at 1:11 PM, metwerks said:

I sent my samples off to The Field Museum and they are going to perform tests on it (major, minor and trace element analyses with EDS, XRF and ICPMS) on or about Nov 8 with results by end of month

I posted similar pics earlier, but I decided to measure the field of view to provide a scale for pictures. All of these pictures are  2mm from top to bottom and the first 2 pics shows a lot of very fine needle like crystals that I have seen on other meteorites due to high shock. The second shows the metallic inclusion (bottom right) and some of the etched texture (top left)

Keeping my fingers crossed and cant wait for Nov to come.

Image1762.jpg

Image1669.jpg

1008_1.jpg

What were the results?!?!

On 10/8/2017 at 1:25 PM, Morlock said:

That's great news. Hoping for the best.

This is the story I was talking about in our message