Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
metwerks

Slag or possible meteorite

I posted earlier regarding possible fusion crust. As I cut into rock, I found a considerable amount of iron and assume it is slag but I wanted to get other opinions. The 2nd pic is a group picture which represents what I found on my fathers land (120 acres). He has owned it for 40 years and it was completely undeveloped prior as he needed to cut a 1/4 mile long road to get to his house. Although I suspect they are indeed slag, I cannot imagine how it would get where they were, being so remote. All were found buried with just a tip exposed. Also, this is 38 lbs in total (largest piece being 19lbs). The last 4 pics show breccia that also is in the matrix somewhere on all the pieces. - Thanks in advance for you time and opinions.

_DSC6062.jpg

_DSC6035.JPG

_DSC6052.JPG

Image1474.jpg

_DSC6021raw.jpg

_DSC6073.jpg

Edited by metwerks

I think I can accurately say no.  It does look like mine slag though.

Thanks adam,  is it common for slag to polish up so well? The slag I have seen has always been dirty. This is like chrome. The first pic is blue reflection from blues skies. Also, what about the breccia? Not questioning your opinion, just looking to learn from folks much more knowledgeable on the subject.

Not slag. I've poured my share of slag. Have you done acid tests to determine what the metal is? nickel test etc.

AzNuggetBob

I wonder if  a cheap XRF test would flesh out any info: if it could be focused to look at just one of the metallic inclusions( baring the inability to acid etch the specimin)?

8 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

Not slag. I've poured my share of slag. Have you done acid tests to determine what the metal is? nickel test etc.

AzNuggetBob

Thanks Bob - Interesting....I will look into this further. What type of nickel test should I do? I see allergy kits on Amazon but are they conclusive to being a meteorite if they test postive?

This certainly breathes new excitement

Edited by metwerks

11 hours ago, AzNuggetBob said:

AzNuggetBob

Sure looks like slag to me.  Almost certainly not a meteorite.  Maybe post to the Rock and Mineral forum as well?

Edited by Mikestang

One question based on what I found online, could this be a mesosiderite? 

Mesosiderites may appear to some collectors and enthusiasts as ugly ducklings when compared to their beautiful cousins, the pallasites. Mesosiderites take their name from the Greek words for "iron" and "half" and are comprised of approximately equal amounts of nickel-iron and stony components. Most are brecciated and many show broken and irregular inclusions of silicate minerals, rich in magnesium. Silvery metallic flakes and veins stand out starkly against the dark silicates, and polished, prepared slices are sometimes reminiscent of the night sky. The breccia-like consistency of mesosiderites has led meteoriticists to theorize that they may have been formed by large asteroidal collisions, which fused the disparate types of material into a single mass. Prominent meteoriticists Dr. John T. Wasson and Dr. Alan E. Rubin elaborated in a letter to Nature.

Edited by metwerks
  • Like 2

There are some interesting similarities, but your finds just don't quite look right to me.  I'm no expert though, find an assay lab and see if they can XRF your samples, that would be the best start toward a positive ID.

Dong-website-550x500.jpg

w-Bondoc-550x500.jpgNWA%201827%20(Mesosiderite)%2013.78g%20(DSCN6275.jpgDSCN1964.jpg

Edited by Mikestang

Mike, thank you.....frankly, I find pictures very difficult to ascertain what I see vs you..... The engineer in me is trying to be subjective of what I found, but knowing the land, I find it hard to imagine how slag would find its way to where I found it. I love this site and you are a great asset and with that comes respect. I am leaning more to slag than a dream......that said, due diligence is not unwarranted 

IMG_4252.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

There is a Assay lab in town and they do XRF. Do I have them test the iron only and if so, what am I looking for? High nickel content? What range would confirm meteorite vs slag?

thanks to all. I will keep you posted no matter the outcome

in the meantime, here are some other meso examples I found

IMG_4264.JPG

IMG_4265.JPG

Edited by metwerks

Yes,  Nickel is a indicator.  Have it checked.

3 hours ago, metwerks said:

There is a Assay lab in town and they do XRF.

Also call around to any prospecting shops or jewelers for this service.

It doesnt look meteorotic to me either. The white clastes look more like chalcedony mixed with mineral rich magnitite and or hemitite. By no means am I an expert nor claim to be one. Just my opinion, which is like a belly button, everybody has one. Jason

• Like 1

Thank you everyone!!!!

I did take another grind which does show the matrix better for what it is worth - I know pictures are tough to tell - I will get a XRF done if it is not too expensive - I ordered a Nickel Detect kit too which will arrive sometime next week.

Happy hunting

_DSC6113.jpg

• Like 1

I would have them XRF several areas to get an idea of the constituents.  There are folks out there, Blaine Reed comes to mind, that are very knowledgeable regarding XRF readings and meteorites.  The more information you can gather the better.

Nickel can be present in slag, but it is almost never ever in naturally occurring terrestrial rocks.  It's often amazing how things can be found in areas where they would never be expected.  The USA has been prospected for hundreds of years, it's difficult to say who or what went on in remote areas...

Whatever it turns out to be I will say it looks pretty cool cut and polished.

Edited by Mikestang
  • Like 2

Interesting, to say the least.. Has my curiosity piqued..
What part of the country if you don't mind saying..? "Feels" northern to me for whatever reasons -- Mich. / Minn. / Mont....

Swamp

EDIT: Never mind.. I just saw in another post you are in Michigan.. SCORE ! :yesss: :4chsmu1:

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 2

Here is a few other pics to share as I wait for XRF test - I thought this looked like fusion crust but then again, I am quite the novice. Might just be terrestrial weathering / coating

_DSC6780.jpg

_DSC6778.jpg

_DSC6786.jpg

Edited by metwerks

Received a quote for XRF @ $175.00 which strikes me as high. Does this sound in line?

Edited by metwerks

Blaine Reed will do it for $30 at the Tucson show.

Metworks; I have no idea where you are....

xrf guns are expensive, some usa states require licensing and security and all manner of  bs....I do think that is pretty high for a "reading"....

fred

I agree Fred.
Metworks ,That's way too high for the test even with a hand held tester that is not as accurate as a lab grade XRF test.you may want to shop around more.the lab grade machines are full size and penetrate deeper so are more accurate than the hand held and cost a lot more money to buy. Ive got a guy in Phoenix that tests mine for free with a lab grade machine but I'm having him test large gold nuggets and speci pieces me for possible sale as he buys them.try some coin or pawn shops.many of them are using XRF's these days.
I've seen a lot of slag and I have my doubts that your rocks are slag.In slag the metals are not usually sharp or jagged. the metal tends to ball up as most metals do when they melt. I do think your stones are terrestrial rocks as they show a lot signs of weathering both physical and chemical.
AzNuggetBob

Thanks Bob / Fred

If they are not slag but are terrestrial, is it common to find this much iron and positive nickel test? Here are some other shots of the coating. I have no clue if this would be considered possible fusion crust or terrestrial weathering. The last pic is a closeup of an iron inclusion approx 0.040" dia and has NOT been etched, just sanded in one direction to a high polish (1500 grit)

Image1555.thumb.jpg.fc0cf820317421a5bbe806394d10eb93.jpg

Image1564.jpg

Image1576.jpg

Image1579.jpg

Image1503z.jpg

Edited by metwerks