Nugget Shooter Forums
Micro Nugget

Some Gold Monster Plusses And Minuses

On 9/28/2017 at 2:08 AM, Micro Nugget said:

Okay, third update:  The weekend of September 23-24 the Prospectors Club of Southern California had an outing near Barstow.  Over thirty nuggets were recovered -- about half with the Gold Monster.  Two fairly longtime members found their first natural gold nuggets with a metal detector.  One of them was trying out my Gold Monster -- finding a nice .26g piece.

My advice to those unfamiliar with a machine that has no threshold -- be sure to utilize a gold nugget sample while in the All Metal Mode so that your ear begins to focus on the zip responses made by nuggets and most non-ferrous targets, i.e., signal responses that sharply climb up the sound scale but do not taper off.  The ferrous ironstone, hot rock targets mostly make sounds that have a "down-sounding" ending, i.e., the signal at first climbs, but then tapers off.  It's kinda difficult to describe with words.  Best to take some practice nuggets with you and spend some time comparing and contrasting the differences between the two types of sounds.  Once your ear becomes accustomed to the difference you will spend less time unnecessarily switching to Discriminate.

I have one rant: The cheap, shoddy Gold Monster stock headphones are a woeful blot upon the Minelab escutcheon.  The ear piece on my set came completely off with no obvious way to re-attach it.  I wish there were some after market socket pin adaptor to enable usage of my Sun Ray Pros or my Nugget Busters.

The attached photo was my weekend take.

IMG_1383.jpg

Okay, third update:  The weekend of September 23-24 the Prospectors Club of Southern California had an outing near Barstow.  Over thirty nuggets were recovered -- about half with the Gold Monster.  Two fairly longtime members found their first natural gold nuggets with a metal detector.  One of them was trying out my Gold Monster -- finding a nice .26g piece.

My advice to those unfamiliar with a machine that has no threshold -- be sure to utilize a gold nugget sample while in the All Metal Mode so that your ear begins to focus on the zip responses made by nuggets and most non-ferrous targets, i.e., signal responses that sharply climb up the sound scale but do not taper off.  The ferrous ironstone, hot rock targets mostly make sounds that have a "down-sounding" ending, i.e., the signal at first climbs, but then tapers off.  It's kinda difficult to describe with words.  Best to take some practice nuggets with you and spend some time comparing and contrasting the differences between the two types of sounds.  Once your ear becomes accustomed to the difference you will spend less time unnecessarily switching to Discriminate.

I have one rant: The cheap, shoddy Gold Monster stock headphones are a woeful blot upon the Minelab escutcheon.  The ear piece on my set came completely off with no obvious way to re-attach it.  I wish there were some after market socket pin adaptor to enable usage of my Sun Ray Pros or my Nugget Busters.

The attached photo was my weekend take.

IMG_1383.jpg

The inner pops off and back on Martin, thanks for the great reviews and yes the headphones suck :ROFL:

• Like 2

Martin,

Tom posted one but here is another style.  I have adapters going from 1/8 to 1/4 and 1/4 to 1/8 just for some different headphones I bought in the past.  As a matter of fact, one set of cheap headphones I bought were designed to be used on a computer but just in case you needed to they included an adapter so I could use them on a 1/4 system.  The headphones didn't last but the adapter did!

It is really, really bad that Minelab didn't put one in with the detector.  If Radio Shack was still around you get one there if not then go to Fry's Electronics but you may just want to order from here:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_28?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=1%2F8+inch+to+1%2F4+inch+adapter+mono&sprefix=1%2F8+inch+to+1%2F4+inch+adapter%2Caps%2C4295&crid=34C73NBXRGHY5

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

I have them too.... A box somewhere.

too bad radio Shack has left us...Fry's probably has them...get the gold-plated ones if you can...

fred

I have ordered a type of adaptor that i think should work with the Gold Monster that will allow me to use my higher grade headphones that have curly cords and a stereo feature.  Some adaptors only permit mono signals.  I think this is what happened to the PCSC member that I described in my prior post who could not hear signals in his stereo headphones -- he used a mono adaptor instead of a stereo adaptor. The type I purchased is designed for stereo transmission.  The name of the manufacturer is Hosa.  The product has a right angle 1/8" stereo male pin (just like the right angle pin that comes with the Gold Monster stock headphones).  There is a 6" flexible extension wire that leads from the 1/8" male pin to a 1/4" female stereo socket.  The advantage of this arrangement is that the super lightweight right angle pin easily will fit into the existing Gold Monster receptacle (unlike a "straight pin" that is much heavier, bulkier and more subject to damage if dropped or banged against a hard surface).  Amazon carries this product at a cost of $5.70.

On 8/16/2017 at 5:36 AM, TomH said:

I spread the "legs" on the cuff out so it does not topple as easily.

Get one of these, they work good!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hosa-Balanced-1-4in-TRS-Female-to-Right-Angle-Stereo-3-5mm-Male-Headphone-6-Inch/361854866806?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Watch out for falsing on the small coil where the cable goes in. See another thread here addressing that issue.
Tom H.

Martin,

You mean this one?  Tom uses it and it was the first reply.

I've had different adapters work and not work over the years and mono/stereo as well as length of pin makes a difference.  Have you ever replaced one in a stereo?  They are actually not very precise.  The little clicking sound is where the spring clip snaps down on that little divot on the pin.  It is a contact that transmits data.  They get dirty, wet, corroded so Fred said get the gold covered ones.

Not all adapters are equal.  Test and have some backups because the dongle type often aren't designed for our use.

Mitchel

Edited by mn90403

Martin; get with the times, dude! You have  a wm furnished with the detector. I presume you can plug phones into the wm...?  The 1/8 jack headphones come in many styles and are plenty good for metal detectors...really, it is true...you just need to get a pair and try them for a day or two...give peace a chance-sorry-give ear-buds a chance!!!

Pluses 

Some great new features on this machine that make it so easy to use!  Can run in either full auto mode that works fantastic! Or for a more traditional user or someone that just love to play around with different settings you can just run it in all metal mode, It’s very sensitive on very tiny bits of gold that don’t ever register on the scales! And also has some Great accessories that come in the box with it, and also two great size coils to suit most users. It’s beautiful and lightweight even with the bigger coil on you can still swing it all day without getting a sore back , arms or shoulders,  And is even great for those of you’s that have a few injuries like myself and my wife loves it also due to the points I’ve pointed out. And of course then we have the fact that it’s been made by the company that are leading the way in gold detecting being Minelab.

Minuses 

Well personally myself I haven’t found many!  The only things for me would be the detector shaft! Just wish it had been a telescopic/ retractable shaft !  And the small coil can have a touch sensitive or falsing issue with some and unfortunately I’ve had 2 small coils with this issue.

Its a great little detector with some serious horsepower behind it !!  Another great detector from Minelab.  

Edited by Bhogg
  • Like 4

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:16 PM, fredmason said:

Martin; get with the times, dude! You have  a wm furnished with the detector. I presume you can plug phones into the wm...?  The 1/8 jack headphones come in many styles and are plenty good for metal detectors...really, it is true...you just need to get a pair and try them for a day or two...give peace a chance-sorry-give ear-buds a chance!!!

OK, Martin and others; why didn't you tell me I am

1. stupid

2.confused or

3...full of BS?

my apologies for thinking I knew what I was talking about. Apparently, there is no wm for the Monster. Just one of many of my mistakes. So Sorry...

You guys could have should have humbled me...other wise I think I must be right. That is until my wife corrects me!

fred

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks, Jeff...where are you hiding?

wm=wireless module

fred

Edited by fredmason

On 10/3/2017 at 10:37 AM, fredmason said:

You guys could have should have humbled me...other wise I think I must be right.

We like to see you squirm now and again just to let you know that you are still one of us poor miserable human beings! :old:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Fred:  You had me there with the WM abbreviation.  Wireless Module -- of course!  I never use that feature on my 2300.  Just goes to show you that I'm getting a bit  long in the tooth and set in my ways.