Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Cube

GeoJack

I love the system but have a gripe.

Ok, maybe it's me but does anyone else use a 5 gallon bucket under your Gold Cube to catch the tailings when running a recirc system?

Do you find it annoying that the legs for the stand are cut too short and that the thumb screws hang down below the frame and cause you to lift the whole unit to place a bucket under it?

Do you like that the legs fall out of the frame because they are too short to contact the thumbscrews?

I didn't, I don't and contacted Gold Cube. They said to use a trough from Home Depot (I have two in the recirc system).

I had just ordered and received their new High Banker kit, shipped with the wrong fittings to match the hose so in the process of getting the right parts brought up the short legs problem I encountered. Also, there are no clamps for the hoses, just push on the fittings. Haven't tried it yet but was curious on whether or not the hose will stay on under pressure. 

hose.jpg

recirc.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have an older model hose which is completely different.  That blue hose and plastic fitting does not look all that tough.  I also haven't used it in three years.

I got rid of the hose that came with it and got the PVC tube with the mesh from Home Depot and installed that from the pump to the Gold Cube.  To get the PVC tube on I had to heat it up, but its not coming off without cutting.

For the frame, I got longer legs for a highbanker, and I use those legs instead of the ones that came with it and it now makes it over the bucket.

If I ran the gold cube at the house, I'd use a battery charger on the battery to keep it strong.

I like the way you set up the recirculating system.  Between the two cement trays, I have a piece of mesh to catch organics, like root bits.

• Like 1

Chris, battery charger on the other side of the wall. I need to figure out a way to flush the material some so I don't get so much mud / clay. The capture of the tailings in the bucket help if I don't let it get too high / heavy. Backfilling behind this wall with the tailings to level off some areas around the house. Watched a video by Jeff Williams and I see he modified the frame to his needs as well so I guess I'll go drag out my welder and just mod the thing to work. Installing the High Banker and needing to fab up a sheet metal chute to take the tailings from it off to the side.

6 hours ago, GeoJack said:

...I need to figure out a way to flush the material some so I don't get so much mud / clay...

Yo Jack -- Are you running those tailings with the near micro gold that's high in organics from a couple years back..?

If so, for your consideration: Put a 3rd trough in line.. Then between the 2nd & 3rd put your mesh (because I can't remember where you had your straining screen..) Along with it though put something like cheesecloth across it too.. Not sure how it'll work with what you're runnin', but for me it caught a bunch of the fine silt that kept going through the screen.. When the water would start pooling I'd just remove the cheesecloth, rinse & replace.. Got a lot more mileage out of the water and the add'l tub got nearly all of the remaining heavier stuff that made it past the bucket & first tub.. Not a Gold Cube tho.. Was a poop tube.. Nasty silty somewhat clay with enough values to make it worth recovering.. Knocked the organics & fine silt back far enough that a couple liters of clean water at the end cleared almost everything out 'cept the Au.. If this works you'd just need more water is all, or remove & clear using a different setup..

Swamp

Swamp, I'll give that a try, thanks. I've kept the sludge that overflows out of the bucket and into the first tube. Will play with that to see if it is worth the bother. Catching really fine stuff in the Cube so I may just deal with changing the water after a half dozen or so buckets of material.

I should be able to screen better between the top tub and bottom one as you say. Old T shirt may work for this.

• Like 1

I used a similar setup that you have pictured to run 10 buckets of presorted -8 mesh a scoop at a time.  Probably took me two hours not counting setup or clean up.  I had to stop a few times to scoop the muck out of the bucket. 

I could never get over the muck problems with recirculating.  I looked at a lot of things, and I was surprised when I let the muddy water sit overnight how much actual silt was suspended in the water when it settled out.  With a good long run of recirculating and the water sitting overnight, one quarter to as much as half the bucket would be muck, and that was after mucking the water.  I looked at water bag filters, but they would be too expensive with the amount of muck coming out of the water.  I always wanted to measure the specific gravity of the recirculating water to see how dense it got, but never did.  I think the water can get so dense that it floats the gold out or at least changes the characteristics of the water so the gold floats in it.

My latest thoughts would be a centrifugal filter, like is used to clean used cooking oils and change it to biodiesel. This is a slow process and would require a much bigger filter than is used for home making of biodiesel.  I'd need to de-muck 1100 GPH to run the gold cube efficiently.  I think the key to what we're trying is not the machine like gold cube or poop tube but GPH we'd like to push through out machine.  It'd even be nice to get a system set up for gas powered pump where we're talking GPM instead of GPH and that would move material to get some gold.

Not much on the internet about demucking water or demucking machines for sale.  I even tried looking for studies to see how big the suspended particles are in water and there's really nothing I could find that would tell me to by a 300 mesh filter, or .5 nm filter will get the water clean enough.

Cheese cloth does seem like it'd have practical uses if it came in a rough durable material.  I bought some other thin clothes to put over the filter, but these just had holes worn in them.

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1

Paint filter sacks work great from any hardware store like 3 for a couple a bucks. Tough and last. Connect 2 buckets,trays or catchments and pump from the 2nd and use cotton balls/paint filters to filter in the pipe in between. John

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hoser John said:

Paint filter sacks work great from any hardware store like 3 for a couple a bucks. Tough and last. Connect 2 buckets,trays or catchments and pump from the 2nd and use cotton balls/paint filters to filter in the pipe in between. John

Good to filter honey as well John

• Like 2

On 8/16/2017 at 2:27 PM, GeoJack said:

On 8/16/2017 at 10:44 PM, chrisski said:

We must have been running similar placer material Chrisski -- siltiest stuff I ever have seen lol not.. :th_panic:

Honestly I don't think there's a traditional method to filter this type of material.. Clay-gone proved useless.. Mucking at the bucket & tub, multi settling tubs then filtering just prior to the water making the next trip is the best solution I've been able to think of but not try to see how it actually does.. Filtering would be overwhelmed in no time with only one more tub unless there was a way to rinse & drain the filter, which = expense.. Multi settling volume / area seemed to me to be the most inexpensive and possibly the best method for achieving the goal.. This requires space however, so unless one is outside one needs to stack -- which could require a second pump and stack..

I'd like to be able to come up with some sort of 'slider' to quickly temporarily isolate the bottoms of the 'bucket' and 'first tub' so the muck could be dropped rather than needing to, welll, get mucked out -- as that would greatly reduce the amount of particles that end up getting put back into suspension while mucking on the fly..

Plus the whole thing only makes sense if one has enough paying material to go to & through, even with this limited expense and time involved..

I can flat out tell ya it's a losing proposition trying to do it with a poop tube..

Unlike with a Gold Cube with which one can get excellent results screening to recommended size alone, a poop tube prefers as many different classifications as possible.. The largest size that went through was twenty minus.. I ended up running 20, 30 & 50.. Had been doing 70 & 100 early on too, but found that the smaller stuff settled out ok and pretty much along side the 50 minus and stayed put for the most part during clearing.. The 8- -- 12+ & 12- -- 20+ got panned; the 8 & larger got visually inspected.. Actually recovered a couple 8-12, which to me was exactly what it took to make going through a yard of this old-river high-bench stuff sized thusly worthwhile.. (NOTE: When I still had my F-250 I took it to NC instead of the van one time & on my way back to FL purchased a yard pre-screened to 1/8 to have something to play with besides the beach during that winter.. Definitely not worth it based on fuel cost alone; kinda to pretty much worth it for the experience of discovery -- as in seeing what it took to achieve the best processing method and the best recovery.. In this case it was one and the same..)

What else..? Oh yeah -- the cheesecloth.. I'm sure you're right about an old T-shirt or anything similar in the thread count dep't., Jack.. I only used cheesecloth because I had it.. Not even sure where I got it; probably came along with a box of stuff from a yard sale.. There was a bunch of it and I know I only ever knowingly bought any one time in my entire life -- a small pkg because when totally unfolded it was exactly the pattern I needed for something I was air-brushing.. And Chris -- I wasn't worried about holes since there were layers upon layers of it in place for a possible one-time-only trial.. That and cheesecloth is basically air-pockets separated by rows of thread to begin with.. Sooo, holes..? Really..? Where..? :4chsmu1:

Swamp

I'll be completely honest--After two years of recirculating in the desert, I decided that the best way of moving material was a dry washer. 

All the work into recirculating is really why I got away from the trommel and the gold cube.  I think the dirt here is can be dry washed about half the time, most of the time it can't is in the weeks after the winter rains.  The buckets per hour gained on the drywashing at 80 % recovery far outweighed the recirculating and recovering 95%.  What made drywashing even better is when I learned to trust the 3/8" expanded metal on it and not screen with 1/2" mesh first.  Soo much more material moved.

I only once got to use the Gold Cube in AZ with a running stream and I loved it.  Unfortunately for me, it's the one claim I can access with seasonal water that was dropped by my club.

If I broke my gold cube or trommel out of storage, it would be to run buckets of concentrates, otherwise I'll stick to drywashing or detecting.

• Like 2

I agree with Adam, drywashing is the way to go in the desert. Unless you can do some monsoon flood dredging. Been finding some chunky gold when the water is running.

DP

• Like 1

I'm thinking that the larger the first tub is the better for settling out the material before it drains into the recirc tank. I get lots of sludge in the top tank and lesser amounts below.

I only run my bucket 3/4 full so it is easier to lift out and dump. 

I agree that the larger the settling tank the better. 

I have a 60 gallon settling system with a 40 gallon planter and a smaller planter that when I set it up last longer, but in my experience the water still turns muddy after a couple of buckets and by bucket five still has a lot of silt in the water, reaching what I call saturated.  Even though it was saturated by bucket 5, I've used that 60 gallon system to run about 40 buckets through a day.  I did not use the gold cube for this, but a trommel pre-screened to 1/2 inch.

Try a Swirl Filter.  You can make one with a five gal or more bucket in between your working water and  settling tub .  Another Pump would be require to get the motion. 

I watched a couple of these and they could have potential, but I'm not ready to try it.

When I run a five gallon bucket of dirt, I get a gallon of muck that settles to the bottom, so although something like this can have potential, it'd take a lot more than two five gallon buckets to make a swirl filter for a recirculator.  Also, once the muck settles in the bucket that has the pipe built in it, I'd like to see how it's emptied without causing too much damage to the pipe.

For my gold projects, I usually find PVC pipe too expensive to use.  I was looking at using it for a couple of stands for a trommel and a sluice, but after I priced it out, it was usually more expensive that ordering a stand.  It was never the straight pieces, but all the curved pieces at $.50 that added up.