Nugget Shooter Forums
Nugget Shooter

Mike C. Falsing fix?

On 8/10/2017 at 6:08 AM, Bill Southern said:

Update: Waiting on a response from Phil Beck.....

Hmmm...any response from Phil Beck?   I am curious to hear their response.  Thanks.

Not yet except make sure the cord is secure as Mike said..... I will ask Debbie on Monday. Many detectors will do this if not secured as well and has been a pain in the butt for years with many brands, the more sensitive the beeper the more problem seeing it's own wire.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Bill for contacting minelab!, 

But please everyone just remember that there's strength in numbers and by everyone reporting this issue to minelab we have a lot better chance of getting a better outcome for a real fix for this problem/issue!! 

I can't imagine there's going to be any quick fix for the issue! apart from a redesign inside the plug area more insulation, thicker wires or something that stops the wires moving around inside. 

So I'd imagine it could be a pricey little exercise for them! So unless they get a lot of customers contacting them about the issue were not going to get the outcome we'd all like to see!.

So please everyone that's got this issue contact minelab so we can all get a good outcome, as this also means a good experience with our detector and give us confidence in buying through them again.

Cheers

• Like 4

In using my GM 1000 with the larger coil, I am finding that when I turn it on cold, its fine and only falses on hard bumps, but after a few hours use, every touch on the coil, no matter how slight, generates a false sound, so at that point it must be held far enough above the ground that it wont possibly touch anything, which means I am holding it so high that I am losing significant depth. As I am hunting areas with lots of stacked rock, its an issue as the rocks are not easy to avoid. At that point it's not long and I am heading back to the truck and switching to the SDC or the GPZ, even though the area is pretty trashy.

I have tied down the coil wire very carefully and tightly with multiple velcro ties, so its not the wire moving. On the other hand, I've not bent over the coil exit wire as Mike did - that type of bending restricts the use of the coil over uneven ground and should not be necessary. Turning down the gain does help a little, but it does not eliminate the problem. Besides, if the ground is mild, I should not need to turn the gain way down to 4 - 5 because of bad bump falsing. I plan on fiddling with it some more and I would like to remove the coil cover to see if anything has gotten in there, but if more fiddling does not resolve the issue, then I will contact ML myself. I may try Mike's hard bend technique and see what happens. This is not a universal problem, and only a very few are experiencing it, so it may be some spotty manufacturing quality issue - I just dont know.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 3

Guess I am one of the lucky ones , no problem with either coil.

As I mentioned elsewhere Chris, Harry Pittman had similar happen and minelab replaced his detector, but his was the only large coil problem I had heard about. He said it had shorted out somehow and perhaps he can elaborate. I agree it is like with most electrical products, now and then ya get a warranty issue and Minelab is very quick to fix it.

Rick I have no issues either and once I secured the lower wire well no more falsing from movement. 

Chris,

How long do you have to turn it off before it acts like a cold start?

Mitchel

How long do you have to turn it off before it acts like a cold start?

I've not tested that. Usually once I have had to hike back to the truck, I am done. I am there to detect and find gold, not to test detectors, but the next time I will give that a try.

I was doing some experimenting with the GM1000 earlier this afternoon in preparation for a short very early foray into the wild in the morning. I was primarily playing with the 5" round or hockey puck as I call it. Last time I was out it was falsing badly because I was poking and prodding bushes. Well I did the Mike C fix after I changed out the 3pc rod for a 2 pc spare rod I had for my GPX. Changing the rods had nothing to do with the improvement to the coil falsing but tying that coil wire over hard did make a huge difference. My only fear with doing so is that it will eventually tear something loose and make the coil inoperable. The only other thing I did differently from past trips out with the monster was to run the coil wire straight up the shaft for a foot or so before starting to wind it around the shaft. I have done that to all my other externally wired detectors and it seems to lesson the falsing a lot. In any event ... I'm going to see how it works out tomorrow morning and then contact ML about the 5" coil falsing. I just feel that the more folks talking to ML about these initial problems the better the product will be in the future. 

I talked with Minelab yesterday and as far as the large coil issue Deb said there have been only a few with any issues and the customers were quickly taken care of. On the small coil it does not have to be bent all that far , mine is bent just enough to be able to move the coil during use and firmly secured at the base like this and I have no issues with it now at all.

IMG_20170831_072447_zps4ihuse5m.jpg

They are still working with the info coming in to see what can be done to lessen it, but it seems it is not all of the coils doing it large or small and if you have a coil issue contact them about it and they are always glad to help. If for some reason your coil is bad it will be replaced....

• Like 5

OK ... I'm back from my short field test. I wanted to get away from the house and into a known gold area to try the 'fix' and adjust it a little perhaps because I really didn't like putting such an extreme bend on the wire as Mike C had suggested. Turns out I ended up with a similar fix to Bill S and it works just fine. No gold this morning but I really wasn't chasing as much as testing in real life situations. Now I believe the next time out into a gold area I will begin to score again. 

• Like 1

Strain relief 101, the cable should be secured such that tension does not put stress on the soldier or ferrule joint.  In this case, there would be a cable fold and clamp inside the coil to take any pull.  Butttt, I am guessing there might be limitations in the ability to design this in.  The hokey puck does not appear to have much area to add such features and with the sensitivity, the last thing you want to do is start folding more metal inside the coil.  Interesting problem. 

Bill:
 Could you put up the info on "who to contact with a PH#?
TKs

Tom

877-767-6522 or 888-949-6522 will get you to customer service who will take it from there Tom.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

I talked with Minelab yesterday and as far as the large coil issue Deb said there have been only a few with any issues and the customers were quickly taken care of. On the small coil it does not have to be bent all that far , mine is bent just enough to be able to move the coil during use and firmly secured at the base like this and I have no issues with it now at all.

IMG_20170831_072447_zps4ihuse5m.jpg

They are still working with the info coming in to see what can be done to lessen it, but it seems it is not all of the coils doing it large or small and if you have a coil issue contact them about it and they are always glad to help. If for some reason your coil is bad it will be replaced....

Did you try and bump the wire just above the coil at all-I tried that position along with others and the way I have it mounted is the only way that it was noticablly better-well thats good that  it worked for you and Mike-Ill bet theres more bad coils out there :4chsmu1: Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...
added more

I am curious, Mike C; (forgive me if I missed this)

will you be sending the defective product back for replacement?  Replacement seems like an easy fix, unless the problem is as common as you seem to think...then it could become a never-ending nightmare.

fred

4 hours ago, fredmason said:

will you be sending the defective product back for replacement?  Replacement seems like an easy fix, unless the problem is as common as you seem to think...then it could become a never-ending nightmare.

fred

Like I said once secured mine is fine and I have bumped, banged, and shoved under brush with it..... I agree if it is an issue bad enough to impede hunting I would call Minelab and ask them to look at it and send a new one if it is a manufacture issue. Like I said according to my sales rep at Minelab there have not been a large number of customers seeing problems and they WILL indeed replace any defective coils. If it is simply a "have to have the wire secure" thing we have had this issue with many coils of all brands over the years and securing the wire has always been the fix..... If the coil is bad I again say get it looked at and replaced.

just idle curiosity Bill....

Coil-wire movement was and still is a cause of "false" signals....and

still curious what M.C. will do???????????????

fred

8 hours ago, fredmason said:

fred

Only if my fix quits working Fred-:arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200: PS-Mine isnt just a faint bump signal-you barely touch it and it goes off hard-Ive been in this nerdy hobby long enough to know theres something wrong-so to the nay sayers please quit trying to pass it off as normal IT ISNT :idunno:

Edited by Mike C...
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Only if my fix quits working Fred-:arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200: PS-Mine isnt just a faint bump signal-you barely touch it and it goes off hard-Ive been in this nerdy hobby long enough to know theres something wrong-so to the nay sayers please quit trying to pass it off as normal IT ISNT :idunno:

Never said it was normal if ya mean me and have been working with Minelab from your first post, I say and still say if the issue can not be fixed by stabilizing the wire in a "normal" fashion contact Minelab to get the coil looked at and or replaced.... My coil after being tied down with Velcro has no issues so I am fine.

1 hour ago, Bill Southern said:

Never said it was normal if ya mean me and have been working with Minelab from your first post, I say and still say if the issue can not be fixed by stabilizing the wire in a "normal" fashion contact Minelab to get the coil looked at and or replaced.... My coil after being tied down with Velcro has no issues so I am fine.

Hi Bill mine is working fine the way it is but for how long with all the stress from bending it down to stop the falsing is another story.I spoke to Lon today and he has the same issue with the same coil :idunno:Its not your fault and I appreciate what you have done and it looks like minelab is stepping up to the plate to find out whats going on :thumbsupanim Mike C...:200:

• Like 5

Yep they are indeed and I would expect no less from them..... :thumbsupanim

• Like 1