Nugget Shooter Forums

Topaz Mt. Utah, Suggestions

I'm planning to visit Topaz Mt, Utah  and spend a day looking for Topaz.  Many of you have been there and I would love to get some pointers from you on what to look for and how best to find Topaz.  If I can come up with a couple of pieces, I will be a happy camper.  Thanks.

I'm also planning to visit the Harden Mine, outside Dixon, New Mexico on this trip. 

Edward

I think someone posted about that very mtn.. I would search out a few key terms/place names in these forums for more info.

2 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

Might be this link by Adam

Yup -- was gonna say the same thing.. He did find some really nice pieces on that trip but had multiple days to do so; 4meter has only one day..
Yo! -- ADAM ! !

Swamp

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Adam,

I will not be visiting Topez Mt until Aug 25, so any tips you can provide would be great!  Also looking forward to check out the Baker Hot springs after pecking at Rhyolite all day.

• Like 1

You really should have planned more time there. One day just is not much.

First thing is . When you come to this intersection....... Take the road to left . Follow it all the way in to the amphitheater.

IMG_9335.JPG

Keep going past the little mining operation. there will be signs pointing the way to the public areas.

When you get to the right area, you will see this...The Amphitheater

topaz Mtn.jpg

I found the best crystals in the vugs in Area # 2   Area #1 Ia literally above the furthest areas you can park. I found bunches of crystals here in area #1 but they werent the quality of area #2 . Some other guys were digging in area #3 and did pretty good with the Bixbyte if I recall.

Bring a 3Lb Sledge hammer and A very stout 5/8 inch  or thicker ,round chisel.   Just find areas with lots of vugs , and start breaking  ( cleaving ) off the rhyolite until you hit a vug.  Check vug for crystals. Almost all the vugs have crystals. The quality however, will depend on luck and location.

IMG_9457.JPG

Edited by adam
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Adam for the good info.  I wish I had more time to spend but this is stop is the last leg of my trip.

• Like 1

Well if you dont have the time to hike over to area 2 or 3.  Area 1 has lots to offer and it is located right above a parking area. I saw a couple rockhound dudes pull like 8 of the most insane crystals from a pocket there.  ( im not kidding, they were epic )   I did hit one pocket in area 1 that kept going and going  that I pulled about 90 crystals out of but they just werent very good.

Good luck!  Im going to try to make it there in early October