Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Basin Gold Specimens

Got out to Gold Basin recently, and did a morning hunt before the heat to try n get rid of some of the Summer gold addiction. A lot of water from the storms have exposed some nice washes, and I Ended up with a little over 16 grams of Specimen gold with ironstone..... ( Anyone have some Hydrofluoric Acid I could buy ???? :4chsmu1: )  I dont get to much of this ironstone mixed in with gold out there, mostly quartz, but hit a nice little patch of it. 2 meteorites to the right of the penny.

The bees out in Gold Basin are out in full effect landing on you, wanting water, thirsty little guys. Sometimes I place a gold pan out with water, and when I come back from detecting,  the whole pan is usually full of bees drinking.

Stay Cool out there.....

Gold Basin20170723.jpg

Gold Basin2.jpg

• Like 6
  • well done 2

Those are some nice finds Dave.  :thumbsupanim

You really got it dialed in.

Luke

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DolanDave said:

( Anyone have some Hydrofluoric Acid I could buy ???? :4chsmu1: )

You probably already know this but for other's who don't, Muriatic Acid can be used as well (it's a lot weaker), it's used to clean concrete and shock swimming pools. Not sure if there's a pool supply place in Kingman but Lowes in Bullhead City stocks it (call first).

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Crown-1-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid/3024039

PS: I'll be swinging Zelda/Zeddie out there tomorrow (White Elephant) so hopefully you left a couple behind for us newbies. :D

Jen

Edited by Guest

Thanks everyone !!!

Hey Jen,

I have used Muriatic before and just didnt have the same results.... :(    ,  wish there was something more safe to use, but nothing compares , at least in my book to HF acid....

NEwbies... heck your an ol timer now :D , at least in my book, with some of the nice nuggets you have been getting....

Theres a lot more out there, just need more time , hehe...

Dave

Edited by DolanDave

Muriatic Acid is identical (to Hydrofluoric)

I have used Muriatic before and just didnt have the same results..

Muratic and Hydrofluoric are NOT identical. Muratic is Hydrochloric acid and Hydrofluoric is Hydrofluoric acid. Sounds similar but they are very different. Hydrofluoric is about 1000 times more dangerous - but is more effective. You can wash your hands with muratic and if you have no open sores or cuts, you will be fine if you wash it off fairly quickly with water. Never do something like that with hydrofluoric as it is very dangerous. You can buy muratic at Home depot or Lowes or pool supply places. You can get Whink with a small mount of Hydrofluoric (2 %) at places like Walmart (check the label as there are a couple of types of Whink and only one has the hydrofluoric). The HF whink will work to clean most specimens, but takes a long time. You need to be careful with it and not get it on your skin (wear gloves).

I just found a maybe 1 dwt. nugget encased in iron conglomerate in a hydraulic pit - similar sort of to what Dave found. I am soaking it in Muratic first, if that does not work (and it probably wont) I will use the HF version of Whink to clean the iron deposit off the nugget.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 2

Thanks for the clarification Chris.... I stupidly quoted something from a Google search.... I stand officially corrected.

Here you go Dave. :200: Just make sure you don't ask to have it delivered to your class C motorhome in the middle of the New Mexico desert, you may get a visit from someone with three different letters in their name than UPS. :ROFL:

http://www.labsupplyoutlaws.com/chemicals-and-reagents/hydrofluoric-acid-70-lab.htm

Jen

Edited by Guest

You can wash your hands with muratic and if you have no open sores or cuts, you will be fine if you wash it off fairly quickly with water.

Ummm....I really would not suggest this :) I work with Nitric, sulfuric and hydrochloric...IE Muriatic  acid a lot. They all burn the same if you get a little on you.

As Chris said. Hydrofluoric acid is a whole nother monster. Goes right to the bone without a special antidote. 

Only reason they call it Muriatic is so people dont freak out about dumping hydrochloric acid in their pool....but they are. Anything to lower the PH.

Tom H.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, jjbond said:

You probably already know this but for other's who don't, Muriatic Acid is identical just with a bit more contaminants but it's a lot easier to find for the general public

Jen

HCL(pool acid) is not impure HF acid. It's an entirely different acid.

The former is quite nosey and very annoying due to the chlorine offgassing (when reacting), or just fresh, sitting in a bucket (sitting in another bucket or in a mortar mixing tub). REdundancy is good when it comes to safety measures.

To be sure, open air is a given  when dealing with acids.  THe chlorine offgassing  is toxic, but it is so annoying at low levels to naturally drive you away due to burning eyes and lungs..

.  THe latter ( hydrofluoric ) is also quite nosey and irritating, but will kill you or an extremity before you know what's happening. Serious contemplation of amputating a HFacid limb is warranted, if so afflicted. It's systemic upon contact with skin or inhalation and can easily kill /seriously wound if carelessly handled or fumes inhaled.

HF acid details

dangerHF.jpg

2 minutes ago, weaver hillbille said:

HCL(pool acid) is not impure HF acid. It's an entirely different acid.

Duly noted by Chris already but thanks, I've updated my post.

Jen

Edited by Guest

An internet research will tell you where you can buy hydrofluoric Acid.  I looked into getting some last year for when I got a decent specimen, my .29 gram specimen found in the trommel is not quite what I want to place in it. 

I saw nothing saying "Business license required to purchase," or the likes.  I do not know if they will deliver to the door, I think it's a pick up at the store type of chemical.  It was also not crazy expensive.

• Like 1

Well I'm glad we have that cleared up. Thanks for the link WH

I would just like to add to this discussion that for the purpose of removing gold from host rock, the key thing to keep in mind

is that HF acid, unlike other acids, has the unique ability to react with SiO2 (quartz). So for other mineral constituents, you

might have to resort to something like nitric acid (another extremely dangerous substance), or something else that's more

appropriate to the particular mineral chemistry in question.

Edited by Shokmelt
add quote

I have had muriatic acid turn my gold brown if I let it sit in it too long. Especially the fine grained leafy type gold. Probably because of the impurities in the gold but man was it ugly. 

• Like 2

• 4 years later...

Muriatic acid will tarnish or change the color of most metals especially copper. Just something I've learned over the years washing brick houses with it. Doesn't alot of gold contain small amounts of copper? Seems like it would make gold nuggets ugly color

On 8/1/2017 at 7:24 PM, DolanDave said:

A lot of water from the storms have exposed some nice washes, and I Ended up with a little over 16 grams of Specimen gold with ironstone..

Did you ever clean these off?  I am wondering what they clean to.

On 10/30/2021 at 11:31 AM, Brownnugget said:

Boy I got sucked into this post being over 4 yrs old.  I saw Daves gold pics and thought “I’ve seen this before”. 
muriatic acid also turns quartz into greenish soft guck.  I messed up a decent specimen and ended up using HF to rid everything.  
Brownie 

Muriatic acid should be safe for quartz, not sure how that happened. It could maybe mess up calcite, etc.