Nugget Shooter Forums

Google Earth Issues!

Yo All...Does anyone know what's going on with Google Earth?   I noticed a change on my phone a couple weeks ago and now on my main puter it's totally funky... I've basically lost it and it won't do a new working download...Just thrashed! ... I'm bummed! Can anyone offer any wisdom or help here?  Thanks, Cheers, Unc

52 minutes ago, Uncle Ron said:

Yo All...Does anyone know what's going on with Google Earth?   I noticed a change on my phone a couple weeks ago and now on my main puter it's totally funky... I've basically lost it and it won't do a new working download...Just thrashed! ... I'm bummed! Can anyone offer any wisdom or help here?  Thanks, Cheers, Unc

I've been on it all day today and pretty much all week everyday. I've noticed a little glitch here and there but nothing too goofy. Still working good here.

Just had problems - my Google Earth self-updated to Google Earth Pro. Now everything forces 3D view - you can reset tilt and compass, but its now necessary to reset tilt and compass every time you touch the map as its forcing 3D down your throat. GE Help says there is a button to go to 2D views, but its not where the help menu says it is - its been removed from the new version. Also, I cant find the older maps - they used to have many to look at, now you get the current view and a really old one from 1993, that is of very low resolution. A week ago I had many photos to chose from. It also seems to load the images much, much slower. I dont like this new "cutesy" version at all - its a cute POS.

If your version works, enjoy it as you will soon be forced to the new "cutesy pro" version.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 2

I've been using the Pro version and it works pretty good. It is kinda slow sometimes like Chris said but I have the 2D button and it all works ok. Maybe because I just use it on my phone? I don't know.

I can't even get GE to open without a message saying "GE has encountered problems and must close"...I tried deleting and reloading but it just won't work!  Bummed because I use it alot, like most folks on here! ... Cheers, Unc

I was able to find a way to turn off the automatic tilt whenever you zoom in or out. Somehow when it switched to Pro, it automatically enabled that. The 3D tilted view takes a lot of time to generate, hence the slow loading time. If you turn it off, then things load much faster as your computer is not working to generate that 3D view. I also clicked a box to turn off the new Google Earth and it restored some of the older images I was using to view areas at different times (in places like the Sierra Nevada, the time of year a photo is taken can make a huge difference in what you are able to see).

So the problems I had were reset of the settings when it loaded the new version, and are now fixed.

Edited by Reno Chris
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Rod said:

Earth for Chrome (the browser) is pretty slick if you only need a basic set of tools https://www.google.com/earth/ 

Thanks Rod, I haven't had Google Earth on my latest computer because my last two computers seemed to struggle opening GE after I had GE a while because of all the "way points/places" I had saved, even when I had most all of them toggled off it was so slow I just uninstalled GE, I think I might like using this online version better on my present computer, when I buy another new computer it's going to have as many bells and whistles as I can get on it along with a high end graphics card and I will then download GE on it

I finally uninstalled everything on my computer and then went to the GE home page and downloaded the old version after they sent me a helpful email on new set up and it's working pretty good now...some of the original features and tools disappeared but the basic GE is working OK ... It did up date to March of 2017 for images ... I lost some options but after this struggle I'm not going to mess with it...It  added a butt-load of "favorites" that I don't want, but screw it... I can resume my aerial prospecting with it... Cheers, Unc

• Like 2

Ron,

Good to hear its working again for you... remember to regularly back up your google earth waypoints, ect to your email, memory card, ect... as I learned the hard way, once when my pc crashed, and I lost all my saved spots.... Also whats neat about google earth is you can download different overlays, such as topo's, surface ownership overlays, Fault lines, and its even neat to see different aerial overlays such as from bing, as they have different shading/ colors which allow you to see mines/ tailings that the colors in google earth will not show up on...

Also setup a starting location for google earth, so when you first open google earth, it will zoom in to that location right away, just click view at top, and click on make this my start location.  Just some tips to make it easier I hope... :)

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 1

The startup location is very handy when you have to go it alone.  At least then the wife knows where to send the search party if you don't come back.  Of course... she may just conveniently forget about this feature ...:Just_Cuz_06: at least in my case..

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Andyy said:

The startup location is very handy when you have to go it alone.  At least then the wife knows where to send the search party if you don't come back.  Of couse... she may just conveniently forget about this feature ...:Just_Cuz_06: at least in my case..

Please tell your wife I really appreciate her going to send a search party if I don't come back.. :4chsmu1:

Swamp

PS: Not sure about your situation, but I'm thinking a nice nugget on a necklace mayhaps..? :idea:

• Like 2

No problem Al.  Just send me .. I mean her... the location on Google Earth each time you go out nugget shooting and I'm sure you'll always make it back ok  :4chsmu1:    Hey, you're beach hunting nowadays, correct?  You need to get back out here into the desert again.

Edited by Andyy
  • Like 1

Ron:
 Thanks for going through the pain of this so I could fix mine today :)
Went out to eat,  tried to use GE and my Icon said Google earth pro...hmmm...

What the heck, will try it, guess they forced a update while I was gone.

Well, it wouldnt open and had to shut down because my graphics card wont support it! 
ARG!!!

Uninstalled, rebooted and did a copy/paste of my old GE from my external hard drive. 

Up and running now.

I hate and love technology.

Tom H.

• Like 3

Hello Ron, 

Glad to see you got GE runnng again! I'm running pro on the Mac and it has some minor glitches once in a while that will drive you nuts, I have been using it for fishing, using overlays of the lakes contour map to locate potential hot spots. I recently bought a BU-353S4 GPS receiver from Amazon, plugs into the USB port and in GE just goto tools and hit GPS, choose realtime select NMEA check the box to follow the path and hit start, it will show your position on the ground and follow you. If you clear your cache first and then zoom to the area you will be at you won't need a internet connection in the field, if your in cell range with the ipad I create a wifi hotspot and connect the computer to that. Great Tool!

• Thanks 1

On 8/1/2017 at 3:43 PM, Andyy said:

No problem Al.  Just send me .. I mean her... the location on Google Earth each time you go out nugget shooting and I'm sure you'll always make it back ok  :4chsmu1:    Hey, you're beach hunting nowadays, correct?  You need to get back out here into the desert again.

That'd be great, even though the only nuggets around here are in mcgristle formations from the Plastiscene period.. :89: :laught16:

Well it isn't from lack of trying to get there.. But y'all been reading about the trials & tribulat ermmm I mean the blessings & spiritual strengtheners I've been going through especially the last 3+ years.. Heck, only made it once to the eastern gold belts during this time much less to out there, and only made it to the beach once (for a night hunt no less) since this most recent eye thing made its presence known (which I just got the "good-to-go-but-monitor" nod over recently..)

So neither me nor my detectors are exactly what'cha call 'well-oiled and running smoothly' at the moment.. But that's all about to change for the better, just as soon as I find my combo beach walker & sun umbrella lol..

Swamp

• Haha 2

Well, went to go to Google Earth last night..... Shortcut on desktop say "no pathway  anymore"! or something to that effect. But, there is an icon for Google Earth Pro! Ok, I click that... it starts to load up and then just sits there. "Google Earth not responding"!! Looks like I'm right where Ron was!!!!

Edited by LipCa

• 1 month later...

GRRR... my google earth decided to change over all the sudden.  maps are there but every name/waypoint on the map comes up with black boxes.  Frustrating!

Eventually found the option to change graphics to DirectX and all seems to be working now.  This'll take some getting used to.