Nugget Shooter Forums

SILVER OR PLATINUM NUGGET????

LowPoint

55 minutes ago, TomH said:

Think you just made silver nitrate :)
Did it look like this when you heated it up?

"YEP" TOM,  that's exactly what happened with my Nitric acid test!!!  The only difference was that I didn't reduce the entire nugget into solution, as the remaining nugget now weighs 3.81 grams(instead of 5.04), And I haven't (as yet) drained off the nitric acid solution, ..nor have I added water to this powder, which, should turn to crystals ( silver nitrate) when I do so.  Hey, THANKS for the video..............................................."SO, A SILVER NUGGET IS WHAT I DO STILL HAVE", with some Silver Nitrate as well.  I also know that I can add a reagent to either the crystals, or to this powder (once dried), heat in a crucible in a furnace and the heat and chemical reaction will return it to a solid metal (silver), as it was before.  Gary  

• Like 1

If you add a piece of copper wire to the silver nitrate solution, the silver will precipitate and you'll have a copper nitrate solution.  Just use filter paper to recover your silver.  Next problem, is how to get rid of the copper nitrate.  It's extremely toxic to most living organisms.  Don't dump it in the toilet.....

Good Luck.

Luke

Edited by LukeJ
  • Like 1

Truly an awesome find and in itself, it has expanded my knowledge on chemically treating precious metals. I have a small silver nugget that I detected and it is very soft.

Hmm...very interesting. Makes me wonder if what I found last week is the same thing. Harder than lead, and a tad larger and heavier than the gold nugget I found a few weeks ago (the bail was soldered on by Steve Wandt). The brownish coating is from the clayish soil in which I found it, which is essentially the same area where I found the gold nugget. Probably should test it to see what I've got.

nuggets.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 years later...

I have several pieces of shiney silvery colored metal. the specific is around 14 on most of them. they do not discolor in a propane gas flame or with acid being poured onto them. I would like to identify them. I'm not certain how to upload pictures. if anyone is interested in helping me to ID them please write to me at: peggyrosecampbell@yahoo.com. 

• 2 months later...

Easiest thing is to take them to a pawn shop for XRF analysis.

The heavy density points to something good, but need more than that.

• Like 1