Nugget Shooter Forums

SILVER OR PLATINUM NUGGET????

LowPoint

This is the first time that I have run across one of these out there, so a bit more research may be needed.  This is definitely a nugget and not just a lead slug.  It has peacock gold within the lower crags with a blueish-purple ting on it's nodule-knarley surface, just like a natural gold nugget.  It weighs in at 5.04 grams.  It doesn't have the brilliance that silver is supposed to have, but is more of a battleship-grey color that is only semi-brilliant.  Anyone able to shed a bit more light on this??.  Gary 

001.JPG

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

• Like 3

Gary:
 Im going with silver. Its tarnished. I dont think Platinum will tarnish like that.

If you scrape it it will probably be shiny.

Was out with a bud last year and he found a slug that we thought was lead at first but it was too hard. 

Turned out to be silver :)

Tom H.

Edited by TomH
  • Like 1

Hello homefire,  I pulled up the link regarding Electrum,.  .very interesting THANKS, but according to the reading Electrum is more yellowish than this nugget. 

Hello TomH,  Thanks for responding,  I think you may be right, as I did just scraped a very small spot, and it is bright and shiny.  Not being familiar with silver,  Is silver soft like lead when scraped??    I can also see very-fine-specs of gold spattered in different spots.  Gary

36 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

Hello homefire,  I pulled up the link regarding Electrum,.  .very interesting THANKS, but according to the reading Electrum is more yellowish than this nugget. 

Hello TomH,  Thanks for responding,  I think you may be right, as I did just scraped a very small spot, and it is bright and shiny.  Not being familiar with silver,  Is silver soft like lead when scraped??    I can also see very-fine-specs of gold spattered in different spots.  Gary

That would depend on Gold Content.   Have you done a Streak Test ?

Edited by homefire

Have any Selsun Blue Shampo ?  Makes a good test for silver.  Turns silver Cobalt Blue Color.

When silver turns blue it's sulphiding.   If you place sulphided Silver on a peace of Aluminum foil in a baking soda bath it converts the BLUE back to silver.

Selsun shampoo (selenium sulphide) - NetDoctor

www.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/skin-and-hair/.../selsun-shampoo-selenium-sulphide/

Feb 1, 2012 - Selsun shampoo contains the active ingredient selenium sulphide. ... Selsun shampoo may discolour gold, silver or other metallic jewellery, it is therefore important to remove all jewellery before using the ... Selsun blue.

Edited by homefire

2 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

Silver will be a lot harder than lead. Pretty sure you got yourself a nice natural silver nugget there :)

Being natural, there is probably some other metals mixed in with it. 

Really nice nug :)

Tom H.

Gary -- quick tip for you, everyone actually: If you install a 5600 Kelvin or what is commonly referred to as "equivalent daylight" light bulb in the lamp you use for taking photos, it'll get rid of the yellow cast associated with soft white and cool white bulbs.. This becomes particularly useful when others are trying to ID something for someone.. The item you have here just happens to be a perfect example of why doing so is a good thing for everyone all around.. Same price; no physical temp differences -- simply makes for a better photo-taking and viewing experience is all.. :)

Swamp

• Like 1

If that came from AZ, probably not platinum.  The AZ bureau of mines warns that any attempt at placer platinum in AZ is likely a scam.  Although platinum is mined in AZ, it only comes from a byproduct of copper mining, and only in trace, non-commercial amounts. There's been a couple of pictures in the paper of platinum nuggets from the Wickenburg area, but I consider those suspect. 

Also, the flat bottom makes me think it's not natural, and the product of some smelting.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, chrisski said:

If that came from AZ, probably not platinum.  The AZ bureau of mines warns that any attempt at placer platinum in AZ is likely a scam.  Although platinum is mined in AZ, it only comes from a byproduct of copper mining, and only in trace, non-commercial amounts. There's been a couple of pictures in the paper of platinum nuggets from the Wickenburg area, but I consider those suspect. 

Also, the flat bottom makes me think it's not natural, and the product of some smelting.

Seen that too.  Looks like it was hot and dropped. 

• Like 2

Heres a silver nug that Arctic Dave found one time when we were out. Sure looked like a rock!
Put some nitric on it and it reacted.

Tom H.

DSC02805.JPG

DSC02806.JPG

• Like 3

I also think it is a pour of some sort. The flat side has the same, I guess you would call them molten lines? Where it was a pool of molten metal then cooled. I can't really tell.

Well, I got some Selsun shampoo and did the test on the nugget.  I let it soak for about 30-minutes, and it didn't affect it one bit.  So, neither silver, nor platinum,... just a curiously- formed chunk of lead.  Guess I should have figured it was lead when I saw that flat side. :grr01: Oh well, now I know that Selsun shampoo is a good test for silver (if and when I ever find any)???:idunno:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, GDM/PV said:

Well, I got some Selsun shampoo and did the test on the nugget.  I let it soak for about 30-minutes, and it didn't affect it one bit.  So, neither silver, nor platinum,... just a curiously- formed chunk of lead.  Guess I should have figured it was lead when I saw that flat side. :grr01: Oh well, now I know that Selsun shampoo is a good test for silver (if and when I ever find any)???:idunno:

I'm also thinking it maybe babbit from a bearing pour, in the old days all bearings were poured in place instead of just replaced a bearing shell as we do now-a-days.

That Selsun Blue shampoo is also good for other things as well....it's great for washing your hair if you have dandruff or even if you don't have dandruff!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'd have to think Selsun would be pretty mild and might have a hard time testing natural, unrefined silver that's not a coin or something.

There's silver test kits you can get off Amazon for about $5 that come with acid that might be more accurate/sensitive.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I decided to do a little acid test on this nugget today.  I placed an obvious lead slug and my questionable silver nugget in a beaker of pure Nitric acid.  I let them set soaking for about 20-minutes, and there was no action going on from either of them.  So I then commenced to heat the beaker, nitric acid and the two on a little electric stove that I have.  As soon as the nitric started getting hot the silver nugget started bubbling (there was no affect on the lead).  The longer I heated the nitric acid the more the silver nugget bubbled with brown-colored bubbles (All the while the acid had no affect at all on the lead slug).   Initially, the silver nugget turned to a sort-of battleship gray color all over, then that color turned to a chalky-white color; continuing to bubble all the while.  After about 4-5 minutes I turned the burner off and let everything cool.  What was left in the bottom of the beaker was a very-fine-chalky-white residue, which was also on the nugget until I sprayed the nugget off with a water hose.  What was left is still a nugget, but it is now 1.23 grams "less" in weight compared to what I started with ( it was 5.04 grams);  And it is much more shiner, brassy ,..."more Silvery" and metallic. It is not the least bit magnetic though.    Any Thoughts regarding these results?:idunno:?????????  Gary 

002.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

005.JPG

001.JPG

002a.JPG

003a.JPG

Think you just made silver nitrate :)
Did it look like this when you heated it up?