Nugget Shooter Forums

Fine Gold to a button.

nugget108

Well I did something I've been wanting to do for a while. That vial of fine gold i posted a pic of the other day is now a solid 1.47 ounce chunk. I didn't have any clay crusibles or molds so I did it all in a potato. Turned out pretty neat. I think all my fine gold might end up this way now. Be safe everyone. 

20170728_132731.jpg

20170725_164933.jpg

Edited by nugget108
  • Like 2

Is that the potato/mercury method?

• Like 2

Potato yes mercury no. I just cut a round hole in the potato and heated the hole with the torch. That turned the hole to a charcoal. Then it's also like a oven. Pour the fine gold in a gram at a time and clean the slag off of the button. Just keep going until done. Gets rid of pretty much all impurities except the silver.

Edited by nugget108
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice button :)
 Do you use flux? If so, what kind?
Tks

Tom

• Like 2

Hi Tom, no I didn't use anything. I was going to go buy some but figured I'd mess around a bit. I probably should have though. This is my first time doing this so I was experimenting.

• Like 3

On 7/28/2017 at 4:41 PM, nugget108 said:

...I just cut a round hole in the potato and heated the hole with the torch. That turned the hole to a charcoal. Then it's also like a oven. Pour the fine gold in a gram at a time and clean the slag off of the button. Just keep going until done. Gets rid of pretty much all impurities except the silver.

Butane or Oxy-Acet..?
You cleaned the slag after every gram..?
Did you re-heat the button before pouring in the next gr or pour right on top of the cold button for the next melt..?
Did the vial look like it still contained approx 14% impurities before you started or were you surprised by that much loss, or that little loss if applicable..?
Looks pretty nice for a first attempt.. :yesss:

Swamp

PS: There are some YouTube vids about making buttons.. Did you pick up your method from them or is this method something the guys at work talk about / have done..?

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

Yep, Borax works wonders.  Activated Carbon  (Chard Bone)  mixed in sucks up anything you don't  want like Lead. Same thing the carbonized Potato does.  WalMart pet department sells it for fish tanks.

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Butane or Oxy-Acet..?
You cleaned the slag after every gram..?
Did you re-heat the button before pouring in the next gr or pour right on top of the cold button for the next melt..?
Did the vial look like it still contained approx 14% impurities before you started or were you surprised by that much loss, or that little loss if applicable..?
Looks pretty nice for a first attempt.. :yesss:

Swamp

PS: There are some YouTube vids about making buttons.. Did you pick up your method from them or is this method something the guys at work talk about / have done..?

Oxy-Acet. It burned hotter and it seamed to work a lot better since it wasn't inside a crucible of some sort. I cleaned the slag off each pour. I removed the button each time then poured more gold into the potato by itself creating another button. Then I would put each button in with the big one and melt them together. Then removed the big button and start all over. It's just something I wanted to try. I actually crushed all of the slag and panned it out and gained 6.6 more grams from the slag. Went from 1.72 ounces of fines to 1.47 ounces. Not too big of a loss I guess. But like i said, it was my first time so just an experiment. 

• Like 3

Getting your gold too hot  can cause some to Gas Off.   I just us MAPP Gas.  Propane just not hot enough. Oxy Torch not available. 

• Like 1