Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Basin Today

azdigger

Well, I got out to GB today and got me some classified dirt for my Mountain Goat when it gets here .

Then I looked around at the drainage in some small washes. Broke out the new GM and had at it. Nothing new to tell, same story , no gold but you should see me hunt for bird shot.

I found 3 pieces of lead bird shot in 3 different places , I had to work for every one of them , but I got 'em.

There was other hits but they all showed ferrous so I did not dig , one bird shot was about 2 inches from a ferrous target . I would get a double sound in all metal then I turned on Disc. only got the Ferrous hit so I dug. the it took several minutes to find it. Kept moving it around , would scoop just over it.

That's my trip for today......working hard to make GB lead free . :ROFL:

• Like 8

59 minutes ago, azdigger said:

...working hard to make GB lead free . :ROFL:

lol :4chsmu1:

I know everyone tires of hearing 'where there's lead shot there's gold' or some such, but it does tend to be true..
Just hang in there, Rick.. You'll pop the first one this run n the flood gates will open..!

Swamp

• Like 2

I would have hunted more but needed to get back to the house today, there are other days and it will cool off.

I love how Gold Basin has so little trash. Let's you cover a lot of ground.  Still good gold up there.  Wish I lived closer.

• Like 5

Thanks for the update, I'm just wrapping up a month in Rye Patch and headed to Gold Basin for Aug, a friend with a claim and wash plant sent me some photos of a huge wash out they had there so I'm glad to hear it's dried up a bit...

GB, here I come (and this time I KNOW HOW to use Zeddie (GPZ)).......

Jen

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, SanDomingoJim said:

I'm still waiting for the cold wave to come to Arizona.   :idunno:

Halloween....you know...after that it start dropping off :yesss:

Tom H.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, azdigger said:

it is 65 miles from my house to Bahde 10......not too far.

I would like to come over there myself and take a stab at that area (GB) , but wouldn't have a clue even where to start, as I have never been to anywhere except Kingman and that was well over 20-years ago.:idunno:  Gary

On 7/27/2017 at 11:31 PM, jjbond said:

Thanks for the update, I'm just wrapping up a month in Rye Patch and headed to Gold Basin for Aug, a friend with a claim and wash plant sent me some photos of a huge wash out they had there so I'm glad to hear it's dried up a bit...

GB, here I come (and this time I KNOW HOW to use Zeddie (GPZ)).......

Jen

So Jen, the ZEDI is treating you better again?   If so, glad to hear it.  How did you fix the ailment?

43 minutes ago, Andyy said:

How did you fix the ailment?

I made it ride in the back of the truck whilst GPX rode up front with me and the AC, I charged GPX first at night, then her, stood Zeddie in the corner at night whilst GPX got to lay on the couch... started watching Youtube MGTOW (Metaldetectorists Going Their Own Way) videos in her presense so she could hear and see, she eventually got the idea.......

In all honesty, it came down to accepting that no matter what, she's a she, she loves to b*tch and moan when out, constantly wining at me, screaming and snarking and a pure hell to spend 8 hours listening to, unlike GPX who's relaxing and calming and we just walk along hand in hand enjoying our time together.......but I digress.... It took spending a month with her in Dry Patch (Rye Patch) torturing myself, lugging her overweight booty, noisy whiny winging self out to the gold fields to realize that as much as she does my head in to listen to for 8 hours.... like a true gold digger, once she sees some value...  she'll scream "I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT" way above her overall non stop on going babbling of noise.....

Interpretation: I had to spend some time in the field to realise that the noise I was hearing were not signals and when I came over a true signal, I could have confidence it would catch me up and I'd dig it. It boiled down to being able to trust she'd tell me when to dig and my learning the ability to zone out her incessant complaining, I learned that part with my ex so it was easy.

Note: She's still a whiny female dog at times and overall I prefer my GPX, if for no other reason than I'm sick of digging 1mm long pieces of rusty wire that sounded like I had hit my retirement nugget.

That all being said, on my first day in Gold Basin yesterday, I got in late so only had a couple hours and she found me a cute little 1/2 grammer/6.6 grains (and about a pound of wire shavings and dozer chips), but I digress, being with her's still like spending 8 hours undergoing chinese water torture. :ROFL:

While out, I was introduced to a new GPX5000 owner (I believe his name was Eldon) who had just purchased a detector from Bill (our gracious forum owner) and couldn't believe I'd found a piece so fast, so I gave it to him as a test nugget to help him learn his machine, the smile on his face was worth much more to me than the 1/2 gram in my poke.

Jen

gold basin small nugget.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yeah, I have to agree that it is a little noisier (maybe louder in Rye Patch).  JP explained that it is taking in more information.  Once I looked at it from that point of view,  then I started utilizing the little extra noise.  Still, much of the time, it purrs like the 5000.  Except I only need one coil and it gets stuff soooo much smaller than the 5000.  I have a feeling that ZEDI may be sitting in the front seat more often.

8 minutes ago, Andyy said:

I have a feeling that ZEDI may be sitting in the front seat more often.

We'll see, we'll see if a month in GB changes my mind. I'm doing my best to leave my stud muffin (5k) in the RV.....

Front seat...hmmmmm..... not in the foreseable future but time will tell. :thumbsupanim

Note: I've spent some time getting use to the 19" coil as well, it's not as bad (weight and overall increased ground noise) as I expected, I have learned to make it a bit quieter and when able, swing it, but all the times in Rye Patch it really didn't make much difference, mind you that area's known for less than 2' overburden so it makes sense it wasn't a big improvement. I know some areas in GB that I'll swing the 19" and see how it does....

Jen

Edited by Guest

10 hours ago, jjbond said:

I made it ride in the back of the truck whilst GPX rode up front with me and the AC, I charged GPX first at night, then her, stood Zeddie in the corner at night whilst GPX got to lay on the couch... started watching Youtube MGTOW (Metaldetectorists Going Their Own Way) videos in her presense so she could hear and see, she eventually got the idea.......

In all honesty, it came down to accepting that no matter what, she's a she, she loves to b*tch and moan when out, constantly wining at me, screaming and snarking and a pure hell to spend 8 hours listening to, unlike GPX who's relaxing and calming and we just walk along hand in hand enjoying our time together.......but I digress.... It took spending a month with her in Dry Patch (Rye Patch) torturing myself, lugging her overweight booty, noisy whiny winging self out to the gold fields to realize that as much as she does my head in to listen to for 8 hours.... like a true gold digger, once she sees some value...  she'll scream "I WANT IT, I WANT IT, I WANT IT" way above her overall non stop on going babbling of noise.....

Interpretation: I had to spend some time in the field to realise that the noise I was hearing were not signals and when I came over a true signal, I could have confidence it would catch me up and I'd dig it. It boiled down to being able to trust she'd tell me when to dig and my learning the ability to zone out her incessant complaining, I learned that part with my ex so it was easy.

Note: She's still a whiny female dog at times and overall I prefer my GPX, if for no other reason than I'm sick of digging 1mm long pieces of rusty wire that sounded like I had hit my retirement nugget.

That all being said, on my first day in Gold Basin yesterday, I got in late so only had a couple hours and she found me a cute little 1/2 grammer/6.6 grains (and about a pound of wire shavings and dozer chips), but I digress, being with her's still like spending 8 hours undergoing chinese water torture. :ROFL:

While out, I was introduced to a new GPX5000 owner (I believe his name was Eldon) who had just purchased a detector from Bill (our gracious forum owner) and couldn't believe I'd found a piece so fast, so I gave it to him as a test nugget to help him learn his machine, the smile on his face was worth much more to me than the 1/2 gram in my poke.

Jen

Yep Eldon and wife, and they are some of the nicest folks you will meet, hows he doing with his new detector Jen?  He seemed to take to it pretty well in the short time we had it out and looking forward to getting up his way to tune him better in the fall.

1 hour ago, Bill Southern said:

Yep Eldon and wife, and they are some of the nicest folks you will meet, hows he doing with his new detector Jen?  He seemed to take to it pretty well in the short time we had it out and looking forward to getting up his way to tune him better in the fall.

Yup he's a sweety that's for sure..... met him on the fields so didn't meet his wife but any woman who supports her husbands hobby and detector purchase is golden in my eyes, regardless of meeting in person.

He spent a day out with it, was skunked other than a bit of trash but he'll pick it up fast, he has lots of local help here in GB willing to answer questions and he's here right on the gold fields so it's only a matter of time. :yesss:

Nice nugget Jen! :yesss:

Glad you got it. 
Tom H.

On 8/1/2017 at 9:56 PM, jjbond said:

...While out, I was introduced to a new GPX5000 owner (I believe his name was Eldon) who had just purchased a detector from Bill (our gracious forum owner) and couldn't believe I'd found a piece so fast, so I gave it to him as a test nugget to help him learn his machine, the smile on his face was worth much more to me than the 1/2 gram in my poke.

Jen

Best catch-and-release story I've ever heard..! :thumbsupanim

Swamp

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jjbond said:

Thank you Swamp, I'm a big believer in karma. 

Jen 

Ironically, went out to King Tut today for a short time and found a little patch that repaid me 3 little pieces of Gold Bug 2 gold weighing almost exactly what I gave away, see karma works :4chsmu1:

One looks like a little shopping cart. 

One was in a shallow little dig hole from what looked like a GB2, thank you whoever left it.

I'll post a second picture after they get some CLR jacuzzi and ultrasonic cleaner time. 

PS: I highly recommend ultrasonic cleaners guys.... I'll attach a shot of some small pieces I cleaned up a couple days ago (the stuff on the cloth with grey stripes)

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

Edited by Guest

I use one myself. I fill it with CLR and it is amazing how it cleans. I like the ultrasonic cleaners.

• Like 1

Post clean....  

You all know I've been pretty "honest" about my love for my 5000 and the frustrations I've had with Zeddie but she blew me away today on these three in Gold Basin... they were down 3/4 of a foot or so and were clear as day, sung like a jay bird beautiful weee woooo dig me dig me signal.... 

Weights (in grains)

1.7 grains, 2.2 grains, and 3.1 grains.... :th:

Very thin pieces.... looks like Zeddie's sleeping on the couch today, not standing up in the corner like usual :4chsmu1:

Jen 

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

Edited by Guest