Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ArizonaRockHound

new guy here

Howdy folks , i used to have an account on here along time ago and learned alot from you all but lots of things happened as far as moving all over and family so i kind of forgot about this place for a while  but decided to get back on here now so glad to be back, hope everyone is doing ok .

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum ArizonaRockHound. The place is really growing and I'm sure you'll enjoy it here.

• Thanks 1

Welcome back..!

Swamp

• Thanks 1

Welcome back ARH! You already know how large the knowledge base is ... now you need to catch up!:4chsmu1:

• Thanks 1

Welcome back and glad you found us once again

• Thanks 1

thanks guys . I have a few questions as far as getting  started looking for gold and whatnot ,  ive been rock hounding for awhile but now looking to get into nugget shooting

• Like 1

You've come to the right place ... fire when ready! Lots of folks here with an incredible total knowledge base just waiting for someone to ask for help.

Ok well not sure if i should start a whole new thread in another section or not so ill just start here,  I have had a cheap bounty hunter detector for a couple years just to play around with and have had fun with it but im looking to get a more serious detector but only have a price range up to 700 or so mostly cause i might end up getting one for a family member as well , ive done quite a bit of research but I am still having a hard time deciding between a ,  tesoro lobo super traq  ,  or a gold bug 2, or maybe a whites metal detector because they are close to my price range and from what ive read they are good in the kind of ground that arizona has. im not dead set on any metal detector these are just ones that ive heard a lot of good about so do you guys have any suggestion as far as which one or another detector ?

ill be using it in arizona mainly for gold , but would also like to use it for meteorite hunting , and possibly relic hunting, would these metal detectors be capable of this dual purpose ?

Hi and welcome to the forum-IMO the problem with duel purpose detectors is they tend to be better coin/relic beepers better than gold beepers :idunno:-but can be used for gold as well-But if your serious about gold beepin then get a gold only beeper-Lots of choices out there-any of the Whites goldmaster series Fisher-gold bug 2-minelab xt18000-eureka-goldmonster-malro gold race and the list goes on-heck you might even find a used minelab SD in your price range :head: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

Welcome aboard. 

alright thanks mike c ,  i dont see alot of differences between a whites gmt  or say a lobo super traq or even  a gold bug 2 , they all seem to have  fans  so i guess i cant go wrong buying one just a matter of which one fits you from what ive read .

anyone have opinions on the GPAA ? would it be worth it to join as new comer to the hobby ?  

Check out  the classifieds here , there is a GMT, not a bad deal at all , chest mounts are hard to come by.

Welcome to the forums too.

• Like 1

There is a difference in the frequencies and it use to make a difference but since the new kid on the block came out the goldmonster which runs at 45 Khz-r its all relative now :head: the Lobo runs at 19 Khz the Gmt runs at 48 Khz and the GB2 runs at 71 khz-the higher the Khz is the more sensitive it is to small gold-also keep in mind that the higher the Khz the more ground noise will be heard-Not trying to confuse you-Good luck with your choice-Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

I always have the Gold Monster 1000 in stock....

• Like 4

bill yeah the gold monster looks great especially for a newbie because its all automatic but because its so new finding one for a cheaper price isnt going to happen

mike c thanks for clarifying on the frequencies

if you had to choose between any of these or similar metal detectors what would you choose for a beginner ?

28 minutes ago, ArizonaRockHound said:

bill yeah the gold monster looks great especially for a newbie because its all automatic but because its so new finding one for a cheaper price isnt going to happen

mike c thanks for clarifying on the frequencies

if you had to choose between any of these or similar metal detectors what would you choose for a beginner ?

For a beginner a VLF with auto ground balancing will cut down on the learning curve. If you are going to hunt in high mineralization you will need something that will handle the ground noise and let you hear those faint targets. This is where the new Goldmonster seems to have the edge. Lot's of choices so take your time.   Jim

• Like 2

Hi my choice for you would be the goldmonster but if money is a factor-like you said your chances of finding a used goldmonster will be next to none since most everyone that has one likes them soooo your only other alternative is something else thats kinda user friendly -like SD Jim was saying there are a few that have auto ground balance out there that you could pick up used at a good discount-you mentioned the lobo supertrac-it is auto ground balance -Gmt has auto ground balance-Minelab xt18000 and eureka both have auto ground balance-GB2 all manual nothing auto on it at all although its super hot on the gold its not newbee friendly-so you do have a few choices that would be best suited for you :head:-Best of luck-Mike C...:200:

• Like 3

Thanks a bunch for helping me out guys much appreciated 

Yo, AZRH, If I were you and the $ is an issue (which it usually is for most)  I'd shop the forums for a  Whites GoldMaster 2, VSAT, 3 or GMT ... A GB2 would be great too and actually the best, but they have a steep learning curve ... Just don't get any kind of Garrets because they just don't understand gold, esp. in AZ ... Good luck! ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

is a whites gmt  for 450 dollars a good deal ?

If you are set on a GMT,  Mike C has one for sale for $350. if not already sold.   Jim

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SanDomingoJim said:

If you are set on a GMT,  Mike C has one for sale for $350. if not already sold.   Jim

Hi Jim thanks for the help and Im sure hes aware of it but if he wants to spend more then so be it:idunno: -No worries here-I know it will sell  :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Hi Jim thanks for the help and Im sure hes aware of it but if he wants to spend more then so be it:idunno: -No worries here-I know it will sell  :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...:200:

You're right Mike...heck at $350 I'd buy it if I didn't already have two machines. 

• Like 1

The GMT is killer on meteorites too , I have found a few with the GMT.

• Like 1