Nugget Shooter Forums

Miners.....

13 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Dang Bill I didn't know they did a painting with us in it way back when!! :idunno:

Here's another from back in the day!

This painted a great artist by the name of Alfredo Rodriguez.

image.png

That's me on the far left scratching my head. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Idaho Jim said:

Pictures make me wonder "weren't there any young prospectors??"

Jim

What you talking about???   Those are all 18 - 20 year olds !    Just been there a few years, that's all.

Edited by homefire
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, homefire said:

What you talking about???   Those are all 18 - 20 year olds !    Just been there a few years, that's all.

They look like 20 year-old concrete workers, like me...yuk, yuk

Jim

• Like 1

That's probably what 20 year old prospectors looked like back in the day, especially the first picture.  Hard times, and a hard life "aged" them physically.  If you have some old photos of relatives taken back in the 1800's,:old: you would notice that none of those in the photos' ever had a smile on their faces.  Their faces are all serious, solemn, rigid, with an almost scowl,  and they look tired, worn out and used up, as if they had been forced to stand for the photo.  I have also noticed this in photos that I have seen in displays in mining museums such as over in Jerome, Tombstone, and the Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott.  It's no wonder why they had a hard time convincing women to come from back east to mining camps;  all those prune-faces reflecting not much of a future for them.  Not like today;  we are all "Happy-faced-prospectors"  :4chsmu1::D except when someone stumbles onto one of our spots.:2mo5pow: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, GDM/PV said:

...If you have some old photos of relatives taken back in the 1800's,:old: you would notice that none of those in the photos' ever had a smile on their faces.  Their faces are all serious, solemn, rigid, with an almost scowl,  and they look tired, worn out and used up, as if they had been forced to stand for the photo.  I have also noticed this in photos that I have seen in displays in mining museums such as over in Jerome, Tombstone, and the Sharlot Hall Museum in Prescott.  It's no wonder why they had a hard time convincing women to come from back east to mining camps;  all those prune-faces reflecting not much of a future for them...

While what you say can be true and correct, it's probable to be the 'only' reason only under a certain set of circumstances and/or in certain specific instances..

The actual reason one doesn't see smiling faces (or frowning faces for that matter) in photographs from that timeframe has much more to do with the unknown amount of time one needed to hold still for the picture than it did about having anything to do with the subject's lot in life.. It's much easier to hold a neutral facial expression for a long time than it is to hold either a smile or a frown..

You didn't hear photographers saying "smile" back then.. If anything, you heard them saying "hold your breath.."

Swamp

• Like 1

Isn't that the same guy in Bills picture above this on that is sitting on the rock?  Same pick at his feet also...................:idunno:

Old Tom

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Isn't that the same guy in Bills picture above this on that is sitting on the rock?  Same pick at his feet also...................:idunno:

Old Tom

Yep and same artist, must be folks he knew or knows perhaps? Long lost friends......

• Like 1

Guy in the red shirt in the foreground of the last picture 'Miner's Lunch' reminds me a bit of Old Tom! Tom I know you must have been around back in those days!!! :old::ROFL:

• Haha 2

Just a little BMT Mike, but sometimes I do wish I was there.  I do realize how hard it was on those men before modern transportation and such.  I often look back on the trail going into an area and ask Tom "How did those guys ever make it in this far just walking and carrying all their equipment?  Sleeping on the ground, eating nothing but dried beans and bacon." (Those beans were not like yours, Mike).  If they got hurt or snake bit well, it was just too bad in some cases.  Often think of the guys back then when in Rich Hill camping by the old cemeteries.  Took a special kind of fella to stand the rigors of the trail in those days.    :cowboypistol::desertsmile:

Old Tom  

• Like 5

On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 3:50 PM, Bill Southern said:

miners.jpg

"HEY BILL",  This picture would be a cool picture to have stenciled onto  the front of a T-Shirt, with maybe a label: "Arizona's Pioneer Spirit", ...or ..."Tenacity, when there's Gold in your veins".   

• Like 3