Nugget Shooter Forums

Few more GM 1000 tips

Today was not a day for hunting, but instead I spent the morning testing the GM 1000 with a friend who also had one. Keep in mind we were using several small nuggets none over a half gram and starting very small buried at different depths in a semi deep small wash loaded with black sands. Some of my findings and resulting tips will follow.

Each target was tested in the full auto settings as well as messing with sensitivity manually which for this machine is still automatic GB. It was very quickly evident that even though trying to "fool" the discrimination was difficult if not impossible, but there is a big depth advantage using all metal deep in both signal quality and depth. I would not recommend using shallow/discrimination in soils over 6 inches deep and expect to hear the same small targets the detector will easily hear in Deep/all metal as it goes deeper yet. Also the detector preformed much better in shallow/disc with the sensitivity all the way up in full auto as did the deep/all metal in most areas though there were some spots we had to lower the gain in all metal to keep it stable, but in most areas after moving the coil and pumping it will smooth out very nicely even in a black sand laden wash, but if you raise the coil above the ground very far you have to do it again.

Previously I have worked shallow ground with bedrock no more that a few inches and the shallow/disc was killer under these conditions and will even the smallest bits. But soil over 6 inches you will not hear small stuff though bigger targets still sing out fine. Bottom line is when in deep, full auto the detector is a very deep seeing VLF.

When in deep you may think it is having issues with mineralization, but by giving it 10 or 15 seconds while moving and pumping the coil it will settle down and purr right along as long as you keep the coil on the ground or very close to it.

LOW AND SLOW.....

THE GM 1000 does not like to go fast especially in soil conditions like we used it in today!

So for me general hunting means full auto/deep and once some soil is removed you can switch over to check if you want. 

Shallow or hunting bedrock, full auto disc. is silent and deadly on the tiniest nuggets.

I am still very impressed and will say more as I get time on it..... Being new, no threshold, and fully automatic is hard for this old timer to get my head around, but it works as Minelab says and perhaps a little better.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I have been using what Jonathan Porter said and it seems to work too.

Turn on the machine and let the Auto Noise Cancel complete.

• Change from the default Gold Mode to the Deep All Metal Mode (see diagram)
  • Set the sensitivity to half way and bring the coil to the ground and ‘pump’ the coil until quiet.
  • Swing the detector in the immediate area to further enhance the GB as it averages the ground, keeping in mind the detector is in Auto GB at all times.
  • Increase the Sensitivity control until all segments are filled and the centre is also infilled (see diagram), you are now in Auto+.
  • Be sure to keep the coil at ground height while making setting changes to avoid throwing the GB out.
  • Sweep the coil until the audio goes quiet and stable and then continue to detect in your chosen area, taking full advantage of the Auto GB and Auto+ Sensitivity options.
  • Auto-sensitivity.jpgGet into the habit of carefully pumping the coil periodically to re-centre the Auto GB.
  • When a target is heard check with the Gold Mode (Iron Reject) listening to the audio and looking at the Gold Chance Indicator.
  • When you decide to dig, take the Sensitivity to Manual and set at approximately the same signal strength at which the target was originally heard.
  • Dig and retrieve the target.
  • When resuming detecting, leave the Sensitivity where it was, ‘pump’ the coil and then walk about until the audio becomes smooth and stable.
  • Switch the detector back to Auto+ Sensitivity, listening to the audio as the detector ‘smooths out’ while the coil is swung. There will be a period of time as the Auto GB and Auto+ Sensitivity align themselves together. You can tell when they come into alignment because the GM 1000 will ‘smooth right out’.
  • Be careful not to lift the coil away from the ground suddenly as the GM 1000 can sometimes lose its equilibrium quite easily, particularly in highly variable mineralised ground.
  • Like 3

Ive been air testing in the back yard with it.

Its amazing how you can have a piece of trash between to sub grammers and it will cancel out the ferrous but still hear the gold.

It is really weird not having a thresh hold, and also once it cancels out the ferrous, I keep going over it and waiting for a sound :)
It does read on the meter as ferrous though....just no sound.

I was also bumping it up against the GB2 in the air test and I hate to say it.......its just about neck and neck! Add too the fact that it will deal with ground noise and this is going to be a pretty sweet detector :yesss:

Cant wait to get out into the real world for some testing.

;

Tom H. 

• Like 2

I am having so much fun with this thing I may go out again in the morning, but to hunt this time.... Another cool thing in ground loaded with Basalt or other unreasonably hot material that causes one to have to lower the sensitivity just too much and auto will not work in deep ya can still hunt with no issue by switching to discriminate saving the day and allowing ya to hunt where you otherwise could not have.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Everybody, 

I, like many other nugget shooters out there, have been intrigued by the new Minelab Gold Monster 1000.  Sounds like a good machine to have (maybe). Still researching it before making a decision.  The attached video doesn't exactly give raving reviews.  There is another video similar to this one that gives even worse reviews.

Would appreciate any comments or input concerning these two Australian reviews. 

Not judging, just trying to get the real information on the GM 1000 before I make a purchase.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Bob

Interesting and not the same results most here in the States are seeing..... Yes even non-dealers. Gonna watch some more and pay better attention to setting they use or don't use...... Interesting indeed.

OK watched it again and they seem to neglect show screen and their setup when target not heard and always moving very fast with the coil, also when actual testing started they moved the coil without re-ground balancing and re-setting auto sensitivity.... Me thinks a little hanky panky here and can let ya try a demo yourself if you would like. Showing the settings would be a big help in this video and wonder why they did not?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got to agree Bill.

Ok, I just got ours yesterday...and I can find a sub grammer at 1-2 inches.....they could not hear that clunker?  Give me a break

They are not setting the machine up to do its thing.  A radio shack detector would have heard that!
Tom H.

Good job Bill :head: It's been to hot to take the GM out again so when I do I'll have more to say about it :arrowheadsmiley: Mike C...PS I'm up around Christopher creek for the weekend enjoying some great weather and then back to the furnace next week :idunno:

• Like 2

So after watching this video, I went out and dug a couple of holes dropped in some iron sands and hot rocks along with a 1.5 gram and a 10gram at the same depths and got the same results, then I remembered to turn the detector on. :ROFL:

I tried everything they did and could not replicate their results.  No matter what I did (even swinging the coil faster) I heard both targets with no issues.

Kept digging on the 10 grammer until I was about 9 inches before I lost it as a grreat continuous signal. even though I would dig it no matter what as a repeatable. 

• Like 8

Yeah I am fixing to go out hunting for a bit this morning and will also try the same testing though I agree with your results Kevin and thanks for taking the time to do the test. I wonder what their motive is and why.... Perhaps they got a bad detector and if I had run into this I would first try a second detector or be suspect my GM 1000 was bad and call Minelab before making a video and claiming all GM 1000 were garbage. :tisk-tisk:

These guys are wrong as can be....

Did you do your test in Shallow and Deep or just shallow......

• Like 2

Bill,
You know me better than that. I tested in shallow-Deep-Auto 1- Auto 2- manual- coil on and off ground, different swing speeds, standing on one leg, over the shoulder and so on. I was able to completely lose the targets a couple of times doing things that no one would ever do just to see if I could. 

I could create a couple of scenarios where I will admit that a true newbie, most likely would have missed the 1.5 on the first pass but caught it on the overlap. 

And I will add that I tested in made up soils not the Aussie Red.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 7/22/2017 at 10:19 AM, Bill Southern said:

Thanks to everyone who did some more testing on the GM 1000.

So glad to hear that it isn't a piece of trash like our Ausy mates claim.

It looks as if they really didn't know how to operate or set up the machine.  Besides that, they tested it in the ungodly Australian soil.

Have anyone tried the GM 1000 on soil containing ironstones (AKA coldstones)?  Would like to hear how it reacts to them.

thanks,  Bob

• Like 2

Yes I am testing in the Vulture Mountains and San Domingo Placers and this new offering from Minelab even ignores basalt for the most part as well as the nasty hot ground here. I would bet I would get much different results with the GM 1000 in the same spot with the same gold. I think you were correct they had no clue how to set it up yet to ignore the ground they were working. Only thing else it could be is a defective detector  and if so Minelab will quickly take it back in trade for nem, but I have heard of none returned as yet for any reason. The other thing could be they were purposely making it run wrong and for sure they were swinging it more like a weed cutter than a detector. :idunno:

Like I said I have a demo here that anyone can come try out before buying one and that will clear up any doubt. I looked all over YouTube and they seem to be the only ones with that opinion, everyone else (like all here) are quite happy and even somewhat amazed by the GM 1000

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I have completed another round of testing for the magazine and some detecting for me. The GM-1000 is working great, finding gold and hot or cold stones are diminished if not outright ignored.  If I play the " I don't wanna dig no more" game I can miss something or get it to hear something that it would otherwise pass on but in regular hunting, it is killing it.

• Like 4