Nugget Shooter Forums

MOUNTAIN GOAT TROMMEL

azdigger

anyone ever use one......want something I can get several buckets full of classified dirt for my Dad (in a wheel chair) to feed and be able to enjoy and get out too.

If any good  , where to get one.

Although I've not used this, I did see it demonstrated at one of the gold shows a few years back, and it may be OK for a few buckets a day, if you have access to clear running water. 

Because I see you're from AZ just like me, and you likely do not have access to running fresh water like me, I want to mention some challenges I had with a recirculating system.

I've always found recirculating systems to be a lot of work.  I use an New Age Eliminator trommel with a recirculating water system, a gold cube recirculating system, and a regular sized sluice recirculating system, and a mini sluice recirculating system, and each of these produced a bucket of muck for every five gallons I ran.  Also, Each five gallon bucket of dirt produced a gallon of muck.  There was also a lot of organic root bits and leaves in the soil that would clog the pump up.  Whatever system I came up with, I still had to get rid of the tailings.  This was a rather steady constant between the four systems I mentioned.  These things would be difficult for your Dad to deal with.  For me, on a good day, two healthy individuals could run a ton of material, usually, a lot less.

The best way I found to make dealing with this muck doable, was to start with a 40 gallon planter from home depot without the drain holes which caught the tailings and muck, have that run into a smaller 20 gallon bucket, with a mesh bag to catch organics.  The pump was placed in the smaller bucket to avoid getting clogged by the organics and muck.  This took several hours of setup and prep.  Probably about an hour for me to load and secure 60 gallons of water in my truck and then another hour to clean the set up out.

IMOH, the only way anything you make for your Dad for him to use would have to be set up and cleaned up by  you after each use and would be similar to the 60 gallon system I described above.  Also, no system I have used has ever lived up to the claims.  The mountain goat claims "up to 2000 LBS of material a day."  That's 36 buckets.

• Like 2

As far as wheel chair use goes, it would be perfect. My friends grandpa used theirs all the time and he was wheel chair bound. Easy to use. As far as where to get one, I'm not sure. Maybe Bill would know. Maybe Ebay.

• Like 2

Mountain Goat Trommels are made by Camel Mining Products in Quartzsite Arizona. A bunch of prospecting shops carry them or you can order them online from the manufacturer. I bet Bill could get one for you if you asked nice.

• Like 1

Rick,

I've had the MG for years and have used it just about everywhere. I like it for processing first run classified cons and I recirc almost all of the time including when I am using it in the recovery shed. (ok tent right now)

It does take a little bit of a learning curve to get the best out of it but not too bad.  It is not what I would use for serious production by any means just a great piece of equipment that does a great job. I have mine set up to drop from the helix to the Desert Fox. two step recovery in a large black tub and a few gallons of water.  For sitting around a running a few buckets of material I think it would be a perfect tool for your Dad. You get a lot of respect from me for doing this for your Dad.

MG1.JPG

MG6.JPG

MG7.JPG

• Like 5

Thanks much Kevin, I saw your review after I posted this......

I ordered my Goat and it will be here on the 28th Friday.

Going to get me some gold basin dirt and see how it goes.

Thanks to all who answered.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2017 at 0:25 PM, azdigger said:

< non-quote > My name's Henry, and I'm a chicken hawk -- not..! :4chsmu1: < /non-quote >

First off, X2 what Kevin said about doing this for your dad..

Next is: Since you've already ordered a Goat, that answers that..

Pretty much the only thing I now have to add would be: depending on where you get your dirt / sand / material it would be advisable to do a screening -- more for getting rid of larger organics than for sizing.. But take advantage of the sizing too, ya know..?

There's no getting around the muck.. That's simply part of running a recirculating system.. Bi-level "settling ponds" for sure.. Organics / silt trap only if you keep after it.. Two-step recovery at first only if you already have the equipment.. Don't spend on more stuff until you see if things stay set up or end up in a corner.. Have fun..!

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1