Nugget Shooter Forums

I'm thinking about getting a pin pointer. I've heard both the Garrett and the White's TRX are among the best. Price seems to be about the same so that's not really an issue.

Does anybody have an opinion or experiences to share so I can make a good decision?

Thanks ------------------------------------

Jim

I have a Garrett and love it , for gold I use an MD 20 falcon.

Just my likes

Not one of the ones you're asking about but, I have a MineLab pro-finder.  Just like any pinpointer, Saves a lot of time digging and makes the wholes smaller.   One of the reasons I got this is if I leave it at a hole, it will beep to tell me its forgotten. I did not find that feature with any other pinpointer.

• Au Seeker changed the title to Pin Pointers

Of course a metal detector will do the same thing, but when I dug 50+ targets in a day, the pinpointer lets you get to them quicker.  If you're only digging three target, then its not too much help.

I have the Garrett "Carrot".  It is actually a really good pinpointer.  My only complaint is that it reacts with the GPZ so I have to put it in an aluminum sheath.  It's pretty sensitive and will allow you to ground balance the pointer to narrow the target in the hole.

Choose carefully, I had a Garrett Pro-Pointer I used mainly with my E-Trac but found it unusable even when off when used with a GPX or a GPZ machine as it interferred with the detector so after doing much research, made the mistake of ordering a Minelab Pro-Find... true, it doesn't affect the detector like the Garrett did but it's sensitivity SUCKS, you almost have to be seeing anything and touching it for it to even begin to think about beeping and if you dare tap it in the dirt more than a feathers touch, it starts beeping and won't stop beeping even after you remove it from the hole. Pure piece of junk, garbage..... straight into the "Garbage Minelab Equipment Mistake Purchases" drawer it went and I'll buy something else in the future.... if you buy a Pro-Find, test it when you get it, tap it a bit gently to make sure you get the occasional one that passes quality control and check it's depth is better than mine before the warranty expires...

I don't use a pin pointer.  Emm Never have.     A Falcon yes if you want to call them a pin pointer.   Never really found a need for the things.  I carry enough junk .   Don't really need anything more to fiddle with. 

I have the trx and use it with the gpz, good depth, one touch gb, plays well with the gpz it doesn't interfere although the 7000 needs to be as far away from the trx when pinpointing as the zed lights up the ground and affects the trx causing it to false. I run my trx fairly hot, so that contributes to the false signals a bit too. I also have the new Deus pinpointer, but have not tried it with the gpz. 

2 hours ago, homefire said:

I don't use a pin pointer.  Emm Never have.     A Falcon yes if you want to call them a pin pointer.   Never really found a need for the things.  I carry enough junk .   Don't really need anything more to fiddle with. 

I'm with ya on this one, Homie.. Never have either, but can't say for sure never will cos they do have their place.. Who knows, I may still one day find myself in a location where a slip of the big pick or rock hammer size could end up costing me hunnerts-a-dollah due to a poorly executed swing toward freeing a still-unexposed nugget or relic/artifact..  

But that location ain't happened yet, and I'm not exactly holding my breath over the possibility of it happening in the future.. In the meantime, as I wander between hits while in a not completely properly outfitted state-of-being, I spend my time pondering why the durn things cost $139.95 instead of $23.95, $25.95 for the fully waterproof model..
( Ok, ok -- $43.95 & $45.95, to put them on a # + recovery of R&D & patent registration expense.. )

Swamp

8 hours ago, jjbond said:

Choose carefully, I had a Garrett Pro-Pointer I used mainly with my E-Trac but found it unusable even when off when used with a GPX or a GPZ machine as it interferred with the detector so after doing much research, made the mistake of ordering a Minelab Pro-Find... true, it doesn't affect the detector like the Garrett did but it's sensitivity SUCKS, you almost have to be seeing anything and touching it for it to even begin to think about beeping and if you dare tap it in the dirt more than a feathers touch, it starts beeping and won't stop beeping even after you remove it from the hole. Pure piece of junk, garbage..... straight into the "Garbage Minelab Equipment Mistake Purchases" drawer it went and I'll buy something else in the future.... if you buy a Pro-Find, test it when you get it, tap it a bit gently to make sure you get the occasional one that passes quality control and check it's depth is better than mine before the warranty expires...

I agree, Jen.  But with the Garrett, put a closed aluminum foil wrap inside the carrier sleeve you store it in.  It will not affect your GPX or GPZ anymore.  (trick other forum members passed on to me)  But you still will have to carry it chest height, like any metal.

Andy

For the first year, year and a half with the 7000 I never used my pinpointer, then after trying it and seeing no problem interfering with the gpz it saves me recovery time. mostly with shallow trash I can pop the target quickly without any digging and chasing small targets in a large  7000 dig hole is usually much improved, at least for me anyway.

• Like 1

I don't use it for nugget hunting but we use the Pro Pointers. If I'm hunting gold and coins/relics like most of our spots, I'll break it out. I keep it on my harness and have no issues with it messing with my 5000 at all. When I do use it, I just keep my coil a ways from the hole and it isnt too bad. But like i said, for general gold only hunts, I don't use it.

• Like 1

I only use mine for deep targets and small targets on bed rock. With the new line of deeper beeper coils it isn't as easy to pin point with them as the old line where you just used the edge of the coil :idunno: so sometimes when I'm chasing a target around for to long out comes the Trx :head: Mike C...

I only use one for coin shooting and relic hunting ( X-Pointer). They help to pin point the target better so you don't damage it retrieving it and so you don't dig craters in someone's yard. I never use one nugget shooting....that's what the little plastic scoop is for.  They also come in handy when shopping for boots... to make sure they are metal free :brows:.

Dean

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Dbado1 said:

They also come in handy when shopping for boots... to make sure they are metal free :brows:.

I have the X-pointer and haven't used it since the first time ... didn't see any advantage for me. My only use since has been as Dean mentioned finding metal free boots ... folks in the big box stores look at me funny when I test the footwear with the pinpointer. Then the questions flow!

Edited by Mike Furness
10 hours ago, Dbado1 said:

They also come in handy when shopping for boots... to make sure they are metal free :brows:.

Dean

That is a good idea.  My boots have a bit more life in them, but I can't replace them with the same brand because they're no longer stocked.

15 hours ago, Dbado1 said:

Dean

Yep I do the same thing when I go to big 5 for my metal free boots which arent as fancy as the ones you all get but hey for the money-mine only cost 20-30 $ a pair when on sale :D I  just cant justify  100 plus for a pair of boots to kick around rocks and such :idunno:Mike C...:200:

• Like 1
3 hours ago, fredmason said:

You might want to check any straw hats you wear detecting...some have a ring of wire....

fred

I only wear my straw hat when Im picking lettuce :arrowheadsmiley:-Thanks for the tip :D Mike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...

And I thought you were a rich contractor...not a farmer.

I found out about the metal in a serendipitous way...I bought this big straw cowboy hat for the shade.  That was wonderful. But I started having behavior problems with my GPZ and could not figure out the cause...it would start up when I was trying to isolate a target while kneeling next to the detector.  I thought it was some weird emi...very irritating too. 

One day in gold basin my hat flew away. After I caught it, I happened to wave it over the coil...big woowawo! So, thinking that was weird I did it again...big signal...I inally realized the hat had metal in it...when I checked the brim the wire went all around to hold its shape...bad hat!

I probably gave upon some nuggies because of the wire...oh well.

When I go hat hunting again my pinpointer with be in my pocket, for sure!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, fredmason said:

And I thought you were a rich contractor...not a farmer.

I also use it when fishing-I bait the hook-drop it in and wait to see what bites image.pngMike C...:200:

Edited by Mike C...

I have used my pin pointer to isolate the hot spots in specimens.  Especially good if you have a large chunk of quartz and want to find where the gold is located in it.

Bob

• Like 1