Nugget Shooter Forums

White's GMT Mineralization numbers...?

Zappster

I am fairly new to metal detecting and I have purchased a White's GMT to help with prospecting.  I am curious if anyone has any info regarding the ground balance (mineral type) number.  I cannot seem to find anything that actually defines these numbers or ranges...  Can anyone help me out with a chart or anything like that?

Uncle Ron and others will chime in, but here is something to keep you busy from Steve Herschbach he is also here from time to time along with Jim Mccullough.....

http://www.detectorprospector.com/gold-prospecting-equipment/whites-electronics-gmt-metal-detector.htm

• Like 3

Any Chart would be meaningless.  It's just a number representing the Ground Signal being Balanced out.  It's only for Reference as to what the situation is.  No Tricks to use.  Just a Reference.   It's handy when in Manual GB.  Between those numbers and your Threshold you will know it's time to Re Do GB.

"" The GMT constantly displays the ground balance setting, typically in the 70-80 range. This number is telling you what type of mineralization is affecting the GMT and is very much akin to the target VDI number displayed on coin detectors except that here it is a ground reading. The GMT goes one step father and also displays the amount of the mineral being detected. This is called the "Follow Black Sand" reading because it can be used to trace shallow black sand deposits that in turn can be used to locate gold deposits. A reference number in the upper right portion of the display shows this value. The number grows as the coil is pumped up and down over concentrations of black sand. The readings are relative so the idea is to take readings at various locations across a dry wash for example, and then to focus on the highest readings as being the probable location of a black sand deposit. ""

Edited by homefire
  • Like 3

But what is the number referencing?  Having a number without a point of reference or what type of ground it is, is just a number on a screen. Am I just missing something? I am new to this and very much a rookie. I am just trying to understand how to use my GMT to its fullest potential

Number is just a reference to the degree of mineralization   in the ground.  The Target and or Mineralization causes a Phase change between the Tx signal and the Rx signal . These number represent that change.  They just used a set of numbers to reference that change.  

As long as your Ground Balanced they mean little to nothing for you.   The Tracking numbers are a different critter.  They tell you relative mineral content of the ground.  

http://whiteselectronics.net/calif/Field_report_gmt.htm

• Like 1

So basically if the detector is ground balanced, the number is basically letting me know the degree of change the ground balancing is seeing.  And the black sands tracking number is based upon a percentage of the area the detector is seeing that contains the black sand/magnetite.  Higher tracking numbers means more black sands in simple terms.  I understand the depth and concentration of the sands can affect this number.

the ground balancing number... the higher the number, the more mineralized the ground... the tracking number... if it hits around 70 I should start to dig?

I definitely need to take it out and play with it a bit more and get used to the equipment.  

Thank for the info and insights

• Like 2

That's pretty much it.  Pumping (Like GB) the detector over the Black Sands area  will give you better numbers to go with. 

The Ground Balance number start at 0 and go up to 100.  It will go into overload before you ever see the 100 most times unless you have the sense turned WAY down.  Here in New Mexico we have some rather nasty grounds and I see numbers in the 80's all the time.   I've never seen anything below 60.

Edited by homefire
  • Like 1

Yea, AZ has some nasty patches also.  I am just wanting to get into the nugget shooting aspect.  I bought the White's for the fact to help with prospecting.  I figure tracking the sands would help to determine where to set up the equipment to run dirt.

How does the GMT do when coin or relic hunting?  Or is it better suited for gold and sand deposits?  More of a specific focus of the detector?

Don't know !  Not my thing but suppose it would do the trick.  It's petty much like a PI in respect a dig it all machine with better Iron ID capabilities.  LOL

Not had mine long. Still learning the ropes too.  I have a ol BFO I use to follow Black Sands.  Works Great.  I do a pile of panning using that trick. 

2 hours ago, Zappster said:

Yea, AZ has some nasty patches also.  I am just wanting to get into the nugget shooting aspect.  I bought the White's for the fact to help with prospecting.  I figure tracking the sands would help to determine where to set up the equipment to run dirt.

How does the GMT do when coin or relic hunting?  Or is it better suited for gold and sand deposits?  More of a specific focus of the detector?

See, you did figure it out..! :) I'm glad to hear, at least in one regard, that if you're using the machine to track black sands you'll ultimately be setting up for (I'm assuming) dry washing as opposed to chasing nuggets, at least not chasing them in that scenario, since you'll be miles ahead only running the dirt/sand, and if close to bedrock / caliche vacuuming will snag the nugs not entombed..

This particular method works best on/in wide gently sloping known fine gold locations.. Meaning: If you're in a wash you're going to pull off the overburden and do the entire wash side-to-side for the most part anyhow.. In a non-contained environment, following the black sands gives you the most likely path of fine gold concentration to start in on..

As far as coins go the GMT works fine, but you really don't want to be using one in typical coin-producing locations because the amount of trash that goes along with those locations will overload you wayyy more than the detector, lol n yikes..! :yikes: You will for sure be getting multiple hits within the coil's area the entire time it's being moved.. I've seen posts from folks who've found nice coin-bearing low-trash desert locations, but those are a bigly exception to the rule.. And actually, now that I think about it, many of the ones I've read about never mentioned the detector being used.. Point being, although it does work and works well for detecting coins, it is wayyy down on the list of prefered machines for that task, exception being the one mentioned.. Works well for relics too, but there you're dealing with depth constraints more than anything.. If you know a shallower not-too-trashy location, sure, why not..?

Bottom line is the GMT is really (and really is) best suited for following the black sands to set up your dry-washing route and for shallower (or removed overburden) smaller nugget shooting (works well on larger nuggies too, as long as you're not firing to the edge of usability in higher-to-highly mineralized ground..) I rate the GMT a mere small penciled-in tic mark below a GoldBug 2 when it comes to finding tiny nugglets..

Swamp

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 2

The instructions that come from the factory are based on the ground in Oregon which is nothing like Arizona... I talked with Jimmy Sierra nearly 20 years ago about the difference and he agreed there was a big difference ... The VSAT should be cranked to 10 and sensitivity around 6.5 or 7 ... Little to no threshold buzz... The visual reference is simple...Lower the number, the more non-ferrous (gold, silver, copper)...Also, coins give a very low # ....As far a following black sand, that task can be done visually with an understanding of gold deposits in streams and washes...Gold and other heavies tack the shortest route down ... You can stroll across the desert with the GMT and find high mineralization with no chance of gold... But you did well by getting the GMT...It can be very noisy,  but like most machines, once you get past the learning curve, it is great... I've found many ounces with my GMT and standard coil   ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

ground balance till nice hum . there is no trick to this just balance it out by pumping up and down about 1 inch of ground until it levels out. you will find that you balance in 1 area and works great and then move and have to readjust. as you learn the  detector you will be able to tell when the ground changes.  turning the  gain down a little may help depends on the ground but when you do this you lose a little depth. lines of heavy black wont let the machine balance . some hot rocks can be tuned out but then again you lose depth and targets. always go back to the user manual . it doesn t lie.

I have an old whites gm 4b [since 2001 been detecting for 16 years] all manual settings. once I learn it works great.   get some dirt from different area and practice ground balancing be sure it contains some black sand. metals will sound  real high when and can overload that will scream. heavy black sand will do the same. hot rocks will have different sounds depending on the rock. lead will sound  like gold small piece of al. will sound like and small piece of rusty metal , small wire will also sound like gold . my advice is to practice ,practice and practice some until you learn the  machine.sometime in certain ground the machine will not balance at all and the only thing to is move on .I have 3 detectors gm 4b ,goldbug 2 and whites tdi sl . I run all 3 at highest settings as the ground will let me . remember the ground will change and you will find you may have to reground balance . hot rocks are a problem they make different sounds so just kick out of the way and detect that spot .I can t say this enough practice  practice and more practice until you learn the detector. you have to have confidence in yourself and the detector if you don't have that then you are just out walking . I tell myself when I go detecting , I will find gold and I keep that in my mind as I detect. at the end of the day I  not find gold but tomorrow is a new day . when I detect that is all I do .I don't think about anything else . 

• Like 2