Nugget Shooter Forums

ID maybe, thanks!!

Hi,

Another tire kicker rock LOL. Low probability but still fun to try. This stone has some shiny black on the outside, maybe hematite coating I'm not sure, it attracts a ceramic magnet, streaks brown and the peculiar part is when I polished a window I noticed what looks like a shock vein and also maybe a half dozen blebs that shine like iron at the right angle. I tried to capture it all. Chime in please.

Thank you,

Rocky 

IMAG0250.jpg

IMAG0255.jpg

IMAG0256.jpg

Edited by Rocky

34 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

I don't see anything to indicate that it's a meteorite to me.

Thanks Mike. I don't doubt it, there are definitely no chondrules so the only possibility would have been achondrite which is highly improbable. Non the less thanks!!

Nope it is not, look at it this way, you like the rest of us did are doing it right in bringing home suspect specimens and seeking identification. I never got frustrated and just kept banging away at it and discovered I was learning all the time and allot. Soon I learned where and how to gain info as well as being able to ID most suspect specimens in the field lessening the load I would carry home. :ROFL: This enabled me to ID without a doubt my "Trilby Wash" find while hunting nuggets.... Knew as soon as I saw it because I had learned from friends on this forum that I ended up going on a couple outings with. https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=35339

Trilbywash001.jpg

• Like 5

Too True, Bill;

If not for the knowledge gained from your forum and many great mentors I would have thrown my SBW and sole Australian meteorite away...as funny sounding/looking hotrocks.

Eternal thanks to you, Mr. B, Jim Smaller and many others...

fred

• Like 2

What Bill & Fred said.. There's much to be picked up on just by back-reading this forum along with the other's out there..

Mike et al: Isn't there a site that IDs location of strewn fields..? Could help out Rocky
in his neck of the woods if there are any near his home-20..

Swamp 

Edited by Swampstomper Al
  • Like 1

You guys are awesome thank you for the helping me out. I can't believe how friendly everyone is here. It the first thing I noticed while browsing through this forum is kindness, it's hard to find on the internet.

• Like 1

http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2013/05/meteorites-found-in-connecticut.html?m=1

Here's a list of meteorites found in Connecticut. Some meteorite hunters visit areas of old falls and talk to the local landowners about them. Maybe they have an odd stone or two that needs to be checked out. Or maybe they'll let you hunt the property.

• Like 3

Bill gave some good advice, bring every suspect rock home with you.  I still do this, even with rocks I'm 99.99% sure aren't meteorites.  I have a nice collection of some really good looking meteorwrongs, and 1 or 2 that still make me go maybe...  It's much easier to sleep at night if you have a box of wrongs rather than wondering if that one you threw away in the field was a meteorite.

1 hour ago, Swampstomper Al said:

Mike et al: Isn't there a site that IDs location of strewn fields..? Could help out Rocky
in his neck of the woods if there are any near his home-20..

The MetBul has a list of Dense Collection Areas, complete with Google Earth .kmz files showing locations.  A DCA can contain multiple overlapping strewn fields, e.g. Franconia. https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/DenseAreas.php

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Bill gave some good advice, bring every suspect rock home with you.  I still do this, even with rocks I'm 99.99% sure aren't meteorites.  I have a nice collection of some really good looking meteorwrongs, and 1 or 2 that still make me go maybe...  It's much easier to sleep at night if you have a box of wrongs rather than wondering if that one you threw away in the field was a meteorite.

The MetBul has a list of Dense Collection Areas, complete with Google Earth .kmz files showing locations.  A DCA can contain multiple overlapping strewn fields, e.g. Franconia. https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/DenseAreas.php

I couldn't agree more Mike though I have tossed a lot because with certainty people have told me they are wrongs, I've also kept a lot and I keep them in my cabinet to look at occasionally because they have nice features.  Nice link thanks.

8 hours ago, Morlock said:

http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2013/05/meteorites-found-in-connecticut.html?m=1

Here's a list of meteorites found in Connecticut. Some meteorite hunters visit areas of old falls and talk to the local landowners about them. Maybe they have an odd stone or two that needs to be checked out. Or maybe they'll let you hunt the property.

Thanks for the lists, these are much closer than AZ!!:4chsmu1:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bill Southern said:

Nope it is not, look at it this way, you like the rest of us did are doing it right in bringing home suspect specimens and seeking identification. I never got frustrated and just kept banging away at it and discovered I was learning all the time and allot. Soon I learned where and how to gain info as well as being able to ID most suspect specimens in the field lessening the load I would carry home. :ROFL: This enabled me to ID without a doubt my "Trilby Wash" find while hunting nuggets.... Knew as soon as I saw it because I had learned from friends on this forum that I ended up going on a couple outings with. https://www.lpi.usra.edu/meteor/metbull.php?code=35339

Trilbywash001.jpg

What a find you got there especially for being on a gold trip, that must have been the best bonus ever! Ill never stop or get frustrated. Something about searching for rocks is engraved in my sole, I remember in early grade school the only books I ever read was rock and mineral books with all the pics they were my favourite.

• Like 1