Nugget Shooter Forums

Newish Article...

Great read, Bill.  You sharing stories like that really lights a fire in me to do MORE research.  (really inspiring)  That is truly a treasure hunt at its finest.  I sincerely hope you find the rest of it and can show us more pounds of gold you pull out of there someday!

I root out any Pack Rat nest I come across.  You find some strange things you would never expect out in the boonies.  One time I found three 45-70 cartridges.   The area was a known location where a Skirmish between some Buffalo Soldiers  and Apache took place right here along our Florida Mtns.  They have a thing about pretty things.      

• Like 1

Thanks for the story Bill.  Packrats and to a lesser extent, Kangaroo rats, have been involved in a few of my losses.  Our property here in Yucca Valley in places is a swiss cheese landscape of large dig holes left by our dogs who engage in daily battles with the varmint population and turn discreet rat, gopher and ground squirrel tunnel openings into cavernous excavations.  Every now and then metallic objects emerge from the dug up interiors of these underground rodent worlds.  But there is yet another critter who covets bright shiny things -- a cactus wren.  Just the other day I came across one of Jill's gold hoop earrings half exposed in loose, sandy soil far away from places where she typically ventures, no doubt a thieving cactus wren's trophy that was dropped while en route to its nest in one of the many Joshua Trees or Yuccas that dot our property.  Surprisingly, rabbits are another source of expensive misadventures.  Last month I popped the hood to check the oil in our Jeep Grand Cherokee and noticed melted plastic and obvious scorch marks on the overhead hood insulation plus unmistakeable rabbit droppings in the engine block cavities!!  The rabbit must have chewed through wiring to ignite gasoline fumes in the fuel injection feeder lines.  It cost nearly a thousand bucks to repair.  Fortunately insurance covered the repairs.  Then, two days ago the dogs were attacking something in our driveway entrance electric gate opener mechanism.  Jill lifted up the plastic cover and a young jack rabbit bolted out!!  Damage done: the dogs had ripped and peeled back part of the tough plastic cover.  This is the second one at $100 a pop.  Anyway, I hope you succeed in finding that lost stash of nuggets some day.

• Like 3

We get the dang pack rats coming in the house here robbing Dog Food.  Found like 10lbs of dog food stashed behind a chest freezer one time.  Destructive Vermin they are.  Try to move right in if you have some place undisturbed for a while.  Yep!  Had wires chewed in our vehicles more then a few times.  They seem to have a thing about Plug Wires and things too.

Had them chew wires on a Toyota Rav4 a few times. Mechanic at the Toyota garage says they like the insulation because it is based on a plastic made from wheat. Don't really know if that is BS or factual but if it is true it explains a lot. We took that car back 3 times for the same problem ... finally got rid of the problem when the car left the driveway for the last time! Good Riddance!