Nugget Shooter Forums

Desert Flooding Deaths

mn90403

I know more people die in the desert from flooding than just about anything else but this is a big loss.

How close is this to LSD?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/eight-dead-two-missing-after-flash-flood-arizona-swimming-hole-n783526

Mitchel

Yeah, most were kids from one family.  When all that debris and logs get going at the head waters one doesn't have a chance.  it's like being in a meat grinder.  Even the best swimmer won't survive that.  I always tell Tom to park the Yota pointing towards the exit when we go up those washes.  Might have a chance if you are pointing South if you see or hear in time, at least a run for high ground.  There was a similar incident a few years back when a group of campers parked in a wash and during the night they all got swept into the main lake and drowned.  Best to bone up and get some desert savvy before going out where you are a stranger.  My heart goes out to those left, only four of original fourteen in that family survived. 

Old Tom   

• Like 5

Thats very tragic. Horrible loss for the family. 

I can see how it could happen though. Those huge storm cells form up on the rim and can dump massive amounts of water in a very short time. Got stuck in one 3 days ago when I drove up there. Had to pull over and wait it out it was coming down so hard, visibility was measured in a few feet. 

• Like 1

My thoughts and prayers go out those that loss most of their family, I just saw some footage on the news, the flood came from rain about 8 miles north of where they were, the area where it rained had just had a wildfire, the flash flood was not water, it was thick mud about 6 to 8 foot deep along with logs, rocks and all the debris left from the wildfire, it looked to be moving around 20 to 30 MPH possibly faster, hard to escape that if it surprises you.

• Like 1

Yep.  No swimmin in that sludge.  Good post.