Nugget Shooter Forums

Goodwin fire

TomH

Dad and I decided to take the day off and drive up to the Goodwin fire area. Wanted to scope out our little camp spot at Poland junction and make sure we can still get to it and what condition it is in. Thankfully its still there. The fire got to within a half mile of it. We drove in Poland road along Big bug up through breezy pines until the road block getting close to Mt Union/5 corners.

Some of the houses along Big Bug had the fire right on their door steps....literally! The aircrews dropping the slurry did one heck of a job saving them.  Unfortunately one house did get destroyed that was on top of a small hill. The wood fence around it didn't burn but somehow the house did, the house right next to it was untouched. 

The fire came right up to 69 in a lot of areas. After that we went out the back road from Mayer towards Turkey creek. Its blocked off about 3 miles in so we turned around. Guess that area is still closed. 

Its amazing when you look at what those tankers had to fly around and through to drop their slurry without hitting a mountain. Kudos to them. There were signs all over saying THANK YOU.

The Poland area was wet in a lot of spots so they are getting rain up there. 

Has anyone ever detected a burn area? You can see a lot of mines/roads/foundations that were not visible before up there. I tried but the EMI was just too much today. Don't know if it was because of the burn or what?

Tom

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

• Like 4

Cool photos, Tom....You bring up a great question about beeping fresh burns ... I've hit spot where lightning hit or old campfires and got lots of ground noise from those places...Any one else know about this? ... Cheers, Unc

• Like 1

I tried to hit an area in the Prescott area right after a fire (four-days), and I got a lot of problems from the charcoal - I think. Couldn't pin it down, but it was hitting like coal sometimes will. Went back six-months later, and it was easy-peasy.

• Like 3

Thanks for the info 2-Tom's.  I agree.  Our firefighters are awesome.  They don't get the credit or pay they deserve.

Shep and I are talking about making a trip up that way in the fall. 

Patrick

It's pretty awesome that most of the structures in there did not burn.  :yesss:

It will be interesting to see how things will grow back in the future.

Looking forward to going to see it in person.

Thanks for the update 2-Toms. 

:D

Luke

14 hours ago, Patrick in Havasu said:

Shep and I are talking about making a trip up that way in the fall. 

Make sure you let me know when you are coming ... would like to meet up. Mike F

47 minutes ago, adam said:

Where was this fire at ?

I believe the pictures were taken from Poland Rd.

Pretty sure you've been there....

1 hour ago, adam said:

Where was this fire at ?

Northern Arizona :P
Tom

Third picture down shows where a big beautiful house once stood on the knob of a hill.  There is defendable space all around it but sparks got to it anyway.  How they bombed right up to those homes with the big planes is fantastic.  Signs all around said "Thank you Fire fighters", "God bless you Fire Fighters". 

Adam I think that you were a little under the weather every time you went up and down that road.  :oregonian_winesmiley:

Old Tom

• Like 1

We recently bought a place off Big Bug Mesa. One of our friends there said the fire was within-in 1\2 mile of our place. That was when it was 93% contained and the part not contained was between Breezy Pines and Big Bug Mesa Rd. Still waiting tonfind out if ours was burnt or not.